danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
How do y'all feel about RNG?

| Basically, I'm in the planning phase of a project, and I had an idea, but I'd like to know how people would feel about it.

To keep it short, it'd be a non-linear game that uses a lot of RNG for stuff like where in the world you start, what quests and items and stuff you have available to you, etc

I have some pretty cool ideas for it, but idk if anyone would be interested in a game where you just straight up won't see all the content

| I personally think it would have a lot of potential for encouraging creativity since you kinda gotta work with what you're handed and it would make for a very personal experience, but for example:
You do a questline and find, let's say like a legendary sword or something. Would you be fine with there being multiple different versions of that sword and which one you get is just random?

(Not a rogue like or anything btw, just a normal game with big variation in playthroughs)

| Personally HATE rng with a passion cause it doesn't reward skill. Hate farming items that have a low drop rate.

I am a fan of randomizers though maybe cause there is a finite list of items you could get.

| >>931353 i don't like random events.. just procedual generating if it isn't too much.. for example Minecraft is fine.. i also like BR RNG ih multiplayer games.. like Fall guys or Crab game..
In what engine/language/tools are you making game? Can i may join you? If i would see concept interesting xd

| >>931359
Yeah I'm not talking about grinding or drop chances. It would be like seeds basically, yk? Some items may be random, but you only getting one of them, so you probably wouldn't even know it was random at first lol

>>931366
Good to know, good to know. Ty for the info, and I appreciate the offer, but I kinda wanna do it myself as much as possible, and if I do need help I've already got close friends who are good at this kinda stuff.

| elona

| >>931354 I mean if it's balanced. It'd be pretty annoying to constantly cycle through swords you don't care about when you could just design it around 1-2 that are actually fun to use. Tho I guess I'm probably a minority given that rouge-likes love to do stuff like this.

The concept reminds me of something Tim Rogers said near the end of his boku no natsuyasumi vid. The feeling of an incomplete game.

| What else is there to do besides these quests? Whats the end game to this? Are you forced to take these quests? Whats the combat like? What other rewards can you get from doing quests? Will the random locations around the world have an impact on your playthrough or are these spots the same as anywhere else? Theres not much i can think of from only knowing that you can do quests for (possibly) better loot in random spots.

| >>931411
I'm not saying cycling through anything. Not that you do shit over and over for different results. I hate grinding lol. Just that in your playthrough, only one of those X amount possible exist. Think like how Pokémon games have different Pokémon in the two different versions of that gen. Different playthroughs have different stuff available, and what stuff is in yours is decided by a random number generator.

| >>931417
There will be a story in the game, but the order you do things in is up to you for the most part, and where you start, some of the quests, items and NPCs you encounter along the way will be different for different playthroughs.
Combat more or less typical JRPG style (but I'm looking into ways of making turn-based combat at least somewhat interesting).

| So, I mean, like an RPG/adventure kinda game basically. Like, just a normal game like that, but some things will be different and you don't have a set order you have to do things in, so basically focusing more on exploration and uncovering things on your own than following a straight forward narrative

| So if everything you see and get is different then is there a chance that someone may get a bad run? If the games gonna have a long playthrough its gonna suck for those who get terrible items. Some others may have a better experience than them because they got some pretty op weapon while someone else may be stuck with the bare minimum stuff. This will probably be fine if the playthroughs are short but longer playthroughs arent gonna be fun

| >>931427
I'm one person. Making a game with this many possibilities would be a massive task. There ain't no way I'm making it super long lol.
And, idk why you're assuming I'd intentionally make stuff that's bad/unfun. That's just bad design. It'd mainly just be stuff that would make the experience different. Like with the example of a legendary weapon, none of them would be bad. They'd just function differently, you feel? Some might still be better obviously, but none of them bad

| I want different experiences, not different quality of experiences, if that makes sense
I want it to be something people can play and enjoy, and if they replay it or somebody else play's it they'll find different stuff and have new experiences and stories to tell from the same world

| I guess thats nice. Also some small devs have made pretty lengthy games, so its possible for you as well itll just take a while though. And this game idea just sounds a bit like a roguelike (even though you say it aint) and the experience of bad runs just leaves a bad experience so im slightly assuming the worst when it comes to RNG

| >>931435
That's fair. It ain't a rogulike though, I promise. I hate saying it like this but think Octopath Traveler in the sense that it's an RPG in a set world, but where in that world you start is different. The same map and same towns and same main story and shit, but where you start and the order you do stuff in is different and there are some differences in those places (town X is always in the same location and looks the same but some of the stuff you can do/get is different)

| Ah i see, i havent really played octopath traveler but i get what you mean. If or when you go through with this we shall see how you execute the idea

| >>931451
Yeah, I'm gonna try at the very least. I've got a lot of free time rn and the tools and knowledge to do it. So, hopefully at least something will come of it

| Gambling. :D

| >>931463
Gambling my beloved <3

| Its great for surprising situations, but not if my win/loss is dictated by RNG. It has to be something I can plan around and make contingency plans for.

| *randomly fucks your mouth*

| I'm trying to imagine the scope of what OP is planning and I'm already crying. Godspeed, OP!

As for my opinion, I'm not a collectionist, so I don't mind not experiencing the "entire" game if what I have is satisfying enough. This kind of proceduralness seem pretty fun too, I can get a story that'll feel like my own.

And I know you say it's not roguelike, but it already feels roguelike in spirit. Roguelike games should be good inspirations for it.

| >>931446
... Oh! This sounds a lot like Caves of Qud. I'd love a Caves of Qud with JRPG-style battles and story! And gentler difficulty hopefully...

| >>931502
Oh, yeah, for sure. It's not really to decide wins or losses. More just to give a different experience. Like the fun factor thing in Undertale but to a fucked up degree and it changes per playthrough.

| >>931507
Yeah, I, it won't be a super long game, but it'll definitely still take a lots and lots of time (and it won't exactly be visually stunning lol). But I really do wanna do it. Maybe a thing where I get out a small version of it and update it over time or something.

That's what I'm hoping to achieve! A satisfying experience that feels (and is) sort of each player's own little story

I'm definitely taking inspiration from rogulikes, for sure. I do love roguelikes a lot

| But, idk. I feel like games are either just pure roguelike, or pure just set in stone. Mixing the two and having a game where the main story stuff is sort of set in stone but a lot of the world and things and experiences is random isn't something I've really seen explored, ever. There's probably a reason for it considering how it's, like, 10 times more work without really changing the length of the game, but, yk. I really wanna see that, so fuck it, I'll make it

| >>931508
I've only heard the name, never looked into it, but if it sounds similar I'll check it out. Could be good inspiration then.
And, yeah, I don't think I'll make the game super difficult. Considering the randomness and the way main story will be done "out of order" so to speak with player's having varying amounts of progress I'll probably make some enemies, at least main story one's, kinda scale with the player. Overly difficult turn-based combat is just annoying imo

| Implement trip riichi mahjong and I'll acknowledge it.

| >>931714
I'm sorry to disappoint, but I don't think I have that kinda talent :(

| Zelda OoT Randomizer is basically what op is describing. That is a mod though so op can still make a game like that and be original

| >>931812
Not really lol. Randomizers change placements of stuff, not add and remove content entirely. The challenge in those also comes from finding the necessary items to progress based on RNG, which this won't be doing at all. But, I guess it's kinda similar concepts in that it's both set worlds with a lot RNG?

| Hero kaboom

| >>931973
Based

| RNG is fine as long as it's either not too much, or a central part of the gameplay while you give the player limited control over it so they can strategize somewhat. What I hate with a passion are random encounters, they give me no time to breathe.

| >>931819 The randomizers do randomize enemies and prices as well. So in your game you could use the same logic to randomize which/where quests spawn to create the intended gameplay. You could lock off various regions and quest rewards would randomly reward keys to unlock them etc.

| >>932186 i wonder if OP can make it so encounters are chosen by tbe player like the way some modern games do it. SMT V for example, you can already see the enemy moving around and choose to avoid them or confront them

| >>932187
I don't wanna lock off anything though, that's boring. Or, well, I'll be locking off the final part of the main story behind the other parts of the main story, but, yk. Those won't really be random. Maybe I'll change my mind, but, if somebody just wants to plow through it, why not?

>>932205
Yeah, I wanna do that. As much as I like RNG, random encounters are outdated and annoying.

| >>932205 I feel random encounters still have some value. In Bravely Default & Second, you can change the encounter rate between 0% and 100%. Which is perfect for choosing between safe traveling or a constant grind for EXP. But in Bravely Default II, random encounters are replaced by seeing enemies wandering around. This felt like a step backwards to me because I'm forced to run between enemies to grind a lot rather than let the fights come to me conveniently.

| >>932373
Why you wanna grind though? Does the game require you to or is it just for fun?

| >>932373 I suppose that's one way of solving that. It could also be made into a skill or item, like the haze orb in Trails, or Cyrus's passive in Octopath.

Total number of posts: 41, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1670272272

This thread is permanently archived