danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
How to play games like in hardcore mode?

| Currently I'm playing XCOM Enemy Within. But I can't play without saves, I mean when I lose my courageous soldier because some shitty alien shoot him from another side of the map I can't continue the game and I load a nearest savegame.
There are missions in the game where you have to shoot all the aliens and in theory you can slowly move forward and clear the area like in tactical textbooks.

| BUT in almost every mission there is a "Meld" that disappears after a few moves if it is not picked up in time. And in order to collect it, you need to run into aliens not in the most advantageous position. It usually happens that a soldier runs to the container, sees the enemy, but can't do anything because he has spent his turn points. Or missions to rescue civilians, I fucking hate these stupid motherfuckers,

| Aliens run in front of them, and they just stand in front of them without doing a fucking thing. (I also noticed that aliens kill them without even shooting at them and without touching them, it’s clear they die of a heart attack and douse themselves with ketchup, stupid bitches.)
Be that as it may, I want to start playing like a real man, on iron will. But remembering "95% to hit and then MISS", my ass starts to burn. Any advice on what can be done to overcome this crap?

| As someone who enjoys doing shit like beating DS3 fists only, I think what you need is to adopt a certain mentality, where you ASSUME you might fail a lot, but every failure is a chance to learn from your mistakes, and an opportunity to 'optimize' your playstyle for the subsequent tries.

| elona

| >>931028
Teach me!
Talking seriously. I.E., I like to play RPG normally. If I lose battle, then I'm looking for non-standard tactics or "Retreat/Regroup". And here I have MY soldiers who trusted ME, followed MY orders and died because of MY mistakes. It's one thing when I die, and another when others die because of me. I'm just imagining a simple guy who signed up for XCOM to fight valiantly for his home planet, and then he dies in some fucking gunfight in a godforsaken forest.

| Witch tactical games like that, you're looking to optimize positioning. In this case, you want either a scout with high mobility to get to the package early and get back out, or a tank to get there who can survive a few hits.

| As such, you want to take a chunk of time to look at where the enemies will be moving, and have as much of your team as possible able to cover your ally(allies) that are in the danger zone. Depending on the difficulty, the opponents may position themselves differently to respond to the lines of sight your team has, and you can take advantage of that to create the opportunities you need.

| Focus primarily on keeping as much of team behind at least one (if not two) angles of cover. Minimizing damage taken is more important than maximizing damage dealt.

| Damn, it's so difficult. I thought I was good for this game, but now, in medium, at least 1 soldier dies every mission. Even when they have covert, they dying.
I'm trying to go forvard, but for me it's difficult.

| >>931028
Nah this for real. I'm kinda similar, done shit like Bloodborne with only parrying or intentionally shitty builds and stuff, and it's all about mindset.
You gotta become comfortable with failure. If dying, loosing progress or having to reset ain't something you're okay with then you won't be able to get through it.
You gotta be okay with making mistakes, stay calm and learn from them, and then you'll slowly but surely improve and succeed

| Sorry Anons for I failed your expectation. I reset the game on ironwill several times when I was disaccord with the result (not of the engage). I've tried to play honestly, but it was not enough. Still, I lose a dozen of soldiers (espetially at the beginning,), some stuff containers and not all of my missions were perfect.
I'm trying to do my best without save/load.
Al least my savescumming progress is very low back to the times when saves was avaible.

| >>931028
Another way to frame this is through setting mirco goals for every session: Can I survive the begining? maybe I'll focus on doing this section consistently. etc. It's also better to set goals with the assumption that you suck so that you're not raging when you aren't meeting your expectations.
You should probably focus on strats that you can do consistently instead of wasting you sanity trying to be a pro.

| Not sure how this would look like an a strategy game, but you could try using other difficulty modes as a sort of training mode to map out your strategies. This or look up a map of the areas.

Total number of posts: 14, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1669656687

This thread is permanently archived