danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
You have $15M to develop a game. What do you make?

| You don't have the budget to create a GTA V or a Witcher 3, but your publisher will cover the cost of marketing/distribution/etc.

All you need to do is focus on making the best damn game you can muster. You can do whatever you want, cart blanche.

Do you make a high budget visual novel? A low poly open world RPG? An atmospheric 2D horror? A spectacle fighter with dating sim elements?

Tell us about your idea like genre, setting, mechanics, story, notable talent, OST, etc.

| Elona

| Reverse engineer Minecraft Java and make it actually run properly on the specs Mojang recommended.
I'd keep the rest of the money stored as gold

| I would make the most modifiable and customizable game you could imagine.
I don't care that much for the graphics, the base graphics are low poly ps1 like (but anyone can change this artstyle in-game)

The premise of my game, is to focus in 2 main aspects. Customization and NPCs' AI.
I want to make the damn fucking best NPCs a human (and machine) could create.

They would feel as complex as humans.

Regarding customization...
1/2

|
Regarding customization, EVERYTHING should be customizable, artstyle, playstyle, gameplay, mechanics, physics, story, menus interface, everything.

And for this goal, there'd be in-game tools extremely easy to use and with advanced options (or even the option to create custom options) to change the very core of the game as you like.

You could make it horror game, a fps game, a RPG, a dating sim, whatever.

2/2

| Also, to expand human creativity, the game'd have an online place (and in-game), to share different worlds, settings, ambients, custom characters, movies, artstyles, everything.

The game would be for free. So everyone could play it and add new experiences to the game and the community.

| >>825829 3/2

| So, what do you g/u/rls think of my hypothetical modifiable game?

| >>b1429c
This is not a game. This is just advanced RPG Maker.

>>825819
Op, most of us have no idea how game budget translate to games. $15M means nothing. Do you have any concrete examples of games within this budget?

| >>825840 undertale

| >>b1429c I love this idea. Like modded Skyrim without the Skyrim. Or Little Big Planet and Dreams. And it's free? damn son

>>825840 They probably meant games that weren't big AAA games (CoD, Cyberpunk, AssCreed) but something more costly than your stereotypical indie game. Maybe more like Dark Souls (2011), Nier Automata (2017), Bayonetta 2 (2014). Dev costs typically aren't published, so we can only make general deductions. Low-Mid budget would probably be more accurate.

| >>825848 I'm glad you liked it!
Yeah, the sheer amount of customization that Skyrim's mod community really inspired me and that game idea. I experienced firsthand the power of human creativity when humans have some freedom and some tools.

This hypothetical modifiable game would be several orders of magnitude bigger than Skyrim's mod community though, I'm sure of it. This game would offer some damn good and usable tools for creating and also the freedom and accesibilty. It's free.

| But alas, this is only a hypothetical project. A dream too good to be true.

At least I can daydream about enjoying that fantasy scenario.

| >>825840 That would be awesome actually. And it's a compliment to the project!
I've also played some rpg maker games, and several of them are among my most favourite games I've played.

| Make a single off brand connect-four and pocket the rest of the money

| I would scalp Sayori away from Nekopara and it's shitty normie fandom. A true kino artist like Sayori deserves to thrive. So here's what I would do

I put Sayori and Yoko Taro in a cheap but well furnished warehouse with a skeleton crew staff of their choice. I feed them craft services food and give them whatever else they want within reason.

Then I hire an indie documentarian to follow their progress in the least intrusive way possible.

| Once we’ve mapped out our project and are a few months into development, I open up an Indiegogo campaign at $10M with stretch goals at $1M, $3M, and $5M. To assure our backers that progress is being made, our documentarian releases interviews and behind the scenes videos. We will have full transparency of our dev process and budget allocation.

| But what is this game about? I’m so glad you asked. It’s a dark fantasy life sim that’s also an action RPG masquerading as a Dynasty Warriors clone but also a heavy visual novel that sometimes veers into rhythm game territory during the dueling segments.

You play as a girl who has vowed to become a magus after the death of her older brother. This is an introspective revenge story. The world is equal parts comfy and cruel without feeling tonally dissonant.

| All h-scenes are animated in Live2D. There’s lots of optional h-scenes and at least five big main scenario h-scenes. Tags include: defloration, FFM threesome, incest, mating press, ritual sex, monster sex, dubious consent sex, intimate sex, gangbang sex, public sex, accidental urination, anal sex, intercrural sex, lactation, and much more. I love sex.

| >>825879 +1
You stole my answer word for word.

| I’d make a quirky Earthbound inspired pixelated indie game about mental illness and trauma.

| >>acfb67
Had me in the first half, not gonna lie

| >>825909 That's genius lmao

| >>825909 made in RPG maker!

| A BotW style game, but focused on exploration like Subnautica. And a polygon-ish graphics style. Kinda like a ps1 era game.

That would be low budget enough to hire many popular indie developers [maybe get Devolve included] and from there brainstorm something more.

I can see it.
A horror low poly PS1 style open world game about exploring a deserted planet.

Big monsters too!

Huge areas to explore, oceans and desserts and broken cities...
risk of rain 2 style too!

Yeah!

| Also you can have sex or whatever

| I would make the worlds deepest(no pun intended) dungeon crawler. Imagine a modern daggerfall but without the overworld. I'll save that for the sequel when I have more cash and experience.

| CCCP 2.0. A bright future when comrades are already exploring deep space. There is a planned economy everywhere, and there are someones who are on their own free will (having served before society, for example) ploughing deep and not very deep space, experienced enough to explore it independently, sharing their newfound experience with society free of charge. Yes, cosmosis. With some mysterious in space in our adventure.

| *cosmosim

| Hotline Miami 3

| Tetris with MGS cutscenes every time to clear a row

| A new ni no kuni game obviously lol

| As an indie dev, make any game for free, spend those 15M on marketing and maybe a musician.

| I've had this dream of making a big, intricate, multiverse type thing RPG series. With that kind of money it wouldn't need to be split into multiple games though, it could be one big one.
Basically just this huge RPG game (2d probably) with tons of different worlds, cultures, storylines, consistencies that span multiple dimensions and timelines, that kinda stuff.
A detailed exploration of fleshed out worlds that all revolve around different concepts and stuff.

| There would be events that when they happen would affect every single other world/dimensions/whatever.
The game would focus less on main story type stuff and more on an insane amount of optional content and finding stuff to do/join/experience everywhere, to focus fully and very detailed on what things would be like in worlds like that.
So, you'd basically be able to play and immerse yourself in very different worlds that all go through similar things, of that makes sense?

| Obviously some combat too. Mix of action RPG and turn-based RPG combat. Like a Fallout thing, but, not really, but, kinda?

And, like, I know that probably sounds like way too big of a scope, regardless of budget size, but if a lot of the money is focused on writers, no voice acting, 2d graphics with decent sprite work, the engine for that probably wouldn't need to be too complex, so it could be pulled off.
At least I like to think so.

| It's very simple.

Instead of developing a game, you invest in deep brain stimulation and develop a button that makes you cum instantly.
Have you seen how many advertisement there are for games that "make you cum in 5 minutes"?

You don't need five minutes for this product. You are going to cum right here, right now.

I know it's a bit cheaty for the purposes of OP's exercise, but then, OP is not able to cum instantly. So who's the real cheater?

| >>826297
Something tells me $15mil isn't gonna amount to much in terms of research.

| >>826310 Let the g/u/rl dream freely, any g/u/rl can dream what they want hehe

| >>826310
I'm sure $50k a month of R&D will be plenty.

| >>826317
In deep brain stimulation, and to perform a fairly complex task (cumming involves a lot more than you'd think at first)? I dunno about that.

>>826312
No. I'm here to crush all dreams and I've decided to start with this one.

| Basically I would make Pokemon but for adults. More complex environments, more diverse movesets, and a more mature narrative with grounded characters. You may say "SMT already exists" but I will counter with... Can you mating press your demons in SMT? Yeah, I didn't think so. In Pokemon you have PP. In my game you have Nasuverse-style mana that can be replenished with bodily fluids. Kojima will direct. Yoko Kano and Yuki Kaijura will make the soundtrack. David Cage will storyboard.

| Megaman Legends spiritual successor. It's something I've been considering anyways.

| >>826199
best idea so far

| >>826784 yes, you can mat press your demons in Eramegaten. There, I saved you 15 mill

| >>826879 Well fuck. I'm not feeling very based now

| >>826879 based Era player

| >>826879
but is it directed by David Cage, screenplay by M. Night Shamalan?

| I will make Yiik 2 featuring characters from N1rv Ann-A mwahaha

| >>826784 >>827024
The only job David Cage should have is licking the toilets clean

| I would like to make a 4p online multiplayer roguelite. I am thinking something with a similar feeling to stardew valley, but the main focus is on the dungeon, and the outside world is more focused on solo tasks like grinding out gear upgrades or maybe some starbound-esque building.

To do well in the dungeon the main way to improve is by improving your coordination with the other players. Players have slow attacks, and enemies have lots of ways to block or dodge damage.

| The further you would progress, the more you would need multiple players to even get damage on more difficult enemies.

Regarding setting, I think it would be fun to make an Anime Dungeon (like dungeon meshi or made in abyss or whatever the fuck you call that genre). I'd probably dump most of the funding into really fleshing out systemic interactions in the dungeon and creating a lot of diversity of what's inside it.

| I have two ideas:
I would like to make a small scale city life/neighborhood community sim. Sort of like yakuza but it's just atmosphere, mini games and interpersonal relationships with I guess the end goal being to make an impact on said community

| The other one I have is a Military Seamen-solider management sim. My brain is thinking of Armored Core but with Machine gun like strap-on cock Cannons .Within/between every mission you have to manage his fitness, diet and hygene, which will effect his seamen quality and thus effect cock gun performance. So, If fed cake all day, his seamen would be sweet, which would mean his stats are concentrated on a single stat.

| I wrote here earlier, but there actually is another thing I would like to try. It would be, kinda sketchy in a way, and not something I'd commit to making for moral reasons, but it's still an interesting idea:
Basically, PvP MMO-ish (in terms of amount of players) shooter game. The map starts off not very big and everyone starts off with the same stuff.
Players with enough currency can unlock new areas (for everyone) and buy weapons, items, unlock new stores and features, etc

| But the thing is, you start off with no currency (£) and the only way to gain £ is to either buy it (micro transaction) or kill someone who has it (which gives you 80% of their £ and distributes another 20% of their £ evenly among randomly selected players on the server). When someone dies they lose all their stuff and go back to the starter kit, and the bought gear they had gets auto sold at death and counts as part of the £ total that % is distributed at death.

| Time to kill in the game would be low, stuff like aromours would be more like gimmicks rather than something that gives much protection, no items would be consumable or have durability since that would remove £ from the game, and unlocking new areas would be something along the lines of someone who has a lot of £ can buy a keycard or something that permanently unlocks the door/barrier, and the keycard would not leave your inventory and the £ would be distributed at death.

| The game would obviously be free.
And, the idea is basically that the more money is put into the game by players, the more the meta and the way the game works and everything changes and evolves. The server would have some amount of £ collectible at the very beginning of the is so it's actually playable before microtransactions have been bought by someone.
But, basically, the more money players spend the more in changes basically. Like a weird, shady social experiment.

| Cyberpunk 2077 revisited as a closed world stealth action game reminiscent of the old splinter cell with a game engine that actually works. With a fleshed out single player hopefully 20-40 hours and with the possibility of fan created campaigns and levels.

| invest it in a proper anti cheat for csgo
i'd love to play it more but the issue is that valorant doesn't have cheaters, while csgo does. i end up playing val

| >>827902
iirc doesn't valorant has an anti-cheat? but it was so dogshit that it deletes system files & crashes your PC?

idk maybe now they fixed it

| >>827902
iirc doesn't valorant has an anti-cheat? but it was so dogshit that it deletes system files & crashes your PC?

idk maybe now they fixed it

| You never said there was a time limit. I'm making the best game possible. A single team of devs, 1m for each of us. Think cyberpunk, but actually decent.

| >>827961
$1M per person is enough to live ~30 years in entry level apartment and nothing but instant ramen. that's your time limit.

but assuming your team wants to eat actual food, have health insurance, and live a normal modern life, we can halve the time limit or more.

| Would 15 mil for a Darkstalkers 4 be too much?

| Now, by passed a days came-up to thought: to made game with pixel art, some kind of platformer and may with other elements from different genres, for example, mech shooter, and with 3d combinations, in communistic theme with Red flag and Hammer and Sickle! And with some historic passages to made game not only for enjoyment, but also for education! <:

| Hamster wheel simulator

| >>827917 >>827918 valorant's anticheat is a little more invasive than others and chinese controlled but I don't think it ever caused damage to computers it was installed on. it really do stop cheaters though

| I become publisher and fund a bunch of smaller projects over the next 5 years and make cash on merch, ysbrgd.

| >>828159 used to make a lot of my other games stutter pretty often if i didn't stop the anticheat, i stopped playing Valorant cuz i got tired of having to restart my pc every time i wanted to play it

| My dream game: Hard Boat Apocalypse.
It's like Hard Truck Apocalypse, but in post-post-apocalypse not!-Carribean.

Total number of posts: 71, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1643513025

This thread is permanently archived