danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
What's one game that you would recommend, and a game that you wouldn't?

| Trying to find some new stuff to add to my backlog.

| Elona

Elona mobile

| I recommend Xenogears.

I don't recommend David Cage games.

| I recommend Koudelka.
I do not recommend Scud.

| >>817836 this is the correct opinion

| I will never shut the fuck up about how good Return of the Obra Dinn is.

I will try to shut the fuck up about how bad Indivisible is. I know at least one of the g/u/rls here like it.

| >>817854 i liked Indivisible

| I recommend Trails in the Sky.
I do not recommend Trails of Cold Steel.

| >>817857 I've only played the first one, what's wrong with cold steel?

| >>817854
Damn, I really like the concept of Indivisible, and the art direction is pretty good too, but the execution is just ugh.

I 100% recommend Outer Wilds. If you haven't played it yet and you enjoy space, exploration and figuring shit out on your own, do yourself a favor. It's super good. Just don't look anything up beforehand, go in as blind as possible. Trust me.

The game I would not recommend is Lobotomy Corporation. Loved the lore, but the gameplay is just digital CBT.

*starts downloading Lobotomy Corporation*

| >>817859 gameplay is fine - i think it's really hard to fuck up that formula - it's just the story is all over the place for me. i got really bored really quick, and that didn't happen at all for me in trails in the sky.

also minor gripe but they give you the chance to hook up with any of the female main cast but are *very* heavy handed about you hooking up with one of them in particular.

| I recommend Praey for the Gods

I do not recommend Battlefield 2042. It's shite

| I recommend Noita because it's fucking awesome

I don't recommend Natural Selection 2 because it's a great game and I don't want any of you morons playing it

| I recommend -> Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen, legit one of the best game I've played due to how amazing the combat system is.

Game I'd never recommend to anyone ever -> GTAV. Overrated gobshite with clunky controls and annoying character.

| Recommending Persona 3 Portable, explicitly played on a psp. It’sa great game on its own right, and it perfectly fits the hardware.

Not recommending online session games. They just suck your soul out. Mine was done by the world of tanks.

| I would recommend
Duskers.
Fun little rogue-like game where you play as a drone operator and use a simple coding language to navigate your drones, salvage spaceship interiors, fight threats, and piece together a mystery.
: ) i love it a lot but wish there was a proper ending and an option to go into ships yourself to repair drones or something. Add more danger, like if your drones all get incapacitated by a scary thing you can risk going into the ship to repair drones

| I recommend Indivisible (yes, I saw you earlier in the thread, no, I don't wanna fight again)
One of my top 3 favourite RPGs of all time. Love the story, the genre blending is really interesting and a lot of fun for someone who's a fan of all those genres, and easy to get into. Not too long either.

I don't recommend Xenoblade Chronicles 2. XC2 is also in my top 3 favourite RPGs of all time, but the games tutorial phase is as long as the entirety of Indivisible. Wtf.

| >>818190 quick question - why does XC2 get such a bad rep from what i've heard? is it because of the long tutorial or something else?

| >>818242
Genuinely only the fact that it takes 20 hours to get past the tutorial phase of it. After that it's one of the best games I've ever played, and the DLC campaign is fucking incredible. I love it to death.
But if you want to get into it you'll have to spend almost an entire day of your life playing the game with basically all the stuff that makes the combat, story and gameplay so amazing just, not there. It's extremely mid for 20 hours. That's a huge turn off for most.

| >>818255
I heard someone recommending the Torna DLC as a standalone game, without playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or 1 at all. As it's apparently fucking incredible and also way shorter than the base game, is playing just Torna a good idea?

I love JRPG, for context, but playing a 100 hour game with 20 hour tutorial is lol lmao, no.

| >>818257
I'd say it works, yeah. I haven't fully finished it yet though, and having played through the main story very much adds to it. But it still works perfectly as a standalone. If you're thinking about doing it, you absolutely should.
And, I mean, you won't come into it knowing any spoilers either, so that'll probably make it even better as a standalone.

And, yeah. Basegame is more like 60 hours, but that means that while 2/3s are incredible, 1/3 is tutorial, which sucks :/

| I'd say only negative part of playing Torna as a standalone is that you'll be paying for both Torna and the basegame which you'll never play. So if you're low on money, don't.
If you can afford to pay that amount of money for a 30 or so hour RPG, it's 100% worth it, even if you never touch basegame. It's an incredible experience.

| >>818264
Even better if you can find a physical copy of Torna, I think that would work.

| Would recommend - Ori (either 1 or 2 will work) as it's the best metroidvania game of recent times.

Would not recommend - Nier Automata. Lord this game is terrible except for maybe the character designs.

| Hon mention for "would not recommend" - Tales of Arise. Another mediocre game. Shitty storyline? Check. Shitty characters? Check. Repetitive BS fights? Check. Corridor map design? Check. One of the worst JRPG I've played recently.

| >>818273
I think that had a very short print run, so it would be hard to find one that's cheaper than buying whole thing digital. If you manage to find it for an okay price though, the physical copy doesn't require basegame.

| Apex Legends, the game is great fun
Apex Legends, the community is shit

| I would recommend Blasphemous, game was pure fun all the way.

I wouldn't recommend Cyberpunk 2077, game was like a Farcry game but less exploration.

| >>818290 nope, NieR Automata is hands down one of the best games of the decade. Yoko Taro's writing is top tier, Platinum Games' gameplay has incredible depth and is hella fun to experiment with.

Go back to it, play around with the various weapons and the pod programs. If you only did ending A you're only experienced one third of the story

| >>818569
As much as I loved Nier:A (as well as Platinum's other games), the gameplay boils down to "spam perfect dodge" every time pretty much. And the bullet hell segments are expectedly barebones. But the story, the writing, the atmosphere, the fucking *music*? Yeah. Yeah, all that's amazing.

| >>818573 i agree that the game can be cheesed quite a lot, i think it's one of its main flaws, but if you force yourself to learn some cool air combos n shit it becomes so much fun. The gameplay does have a lot of depth, the devs just don't force you to explore it and it's kinda sad

| >>818569 I like Platinum games. But Nier A has easily the worst combat among them all. It's like the other user mentions, just spam dodge. The game itself forces you to do that and the bullet segments are completely hackneyed and tedious after a while. I'd rather play actually good hack and slash over it like DMC or Bayonetta.

The story didn't pull me in either tbh I did a few of the endings and I got bored and moved on after that.

| >>818647 idk if it's because of how i played the game, but for me that combat was on par with Bayonetta (at least when playing as 2B or A2, 9S was really limited combat wise).

And for the story, i understand that Yoko Taro's writing can be weird and not for everyone, but his uniqueness in storytelling is exactly another reason why i love it.

By a few of the endings do you mean the main ABCDE endings or the game over endings?

| Deus ex 1.

On the no end probably final fantasy 13

| >>818673 I found 2B and A2 the least interesting of them all. I think if they expanded on 9S, I'd have liked the combat significantly more sadly 9S was completely incomplete (lol)

As for the ending, I triggered A and B and few of the game over endings. Couldn't play more than that as I got bored.

| Synthetik 1.

Apex Legends

| Hollow Knight if you're looking for an incredible metroidvania (when will silksong come out T_T)

Would not recommend Dead Cells if looking for a metroidvania; just not nearly as fun as Hollow knight

| >>820518
Ugh, I want to like Dead Cells but the combat just isn't clicking with me. I can tell it's GOOD, and I usually like this kind of twitchy combat. The first few runs are fun. But like, I just can't grasp the depth of it.

| >>820518
;

Total number of posts: 40, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1641276541

This thread is permanently archived