danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Recommended JRPG?

| Thinking of finding another JRPG. Preferably ones with customizable class builds/party comp and emphasis on the player's adventure.

| Bravely default 2

| Bug Fables

| FF12 TZA, Ys VIII, Persona 5 Royal, Nino Kuni, Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together, Fire Emblem GBA trilogy (6-8).

| Highly recommend Octopath Traveler. The story is simpler and less intrusive than most JRPG, but the world is fun to adventure in (I'm assuming this is what you mean by "player's adventure"). Gameplay's solid. It's fun to figure out the class/skills combo though there's not a lot of "customization" going on.

Also if you've got a DS or 3DS, play the Etrian Odyssey series. It's got plenty of customizing class builds/party comps.

| Emphasis on player's adventure? Could go for some Dragon Quest XI, definitely. Not *too* customizable though, but there is *some*.

Also seconding the Etrian Odyssey recommendation from >>a9d3ce, especially 1 and 5 (haven't played Nexus yet, though that one seems like a celebration of the series), hands down my favorite dungeon crawling party-based RPGs. Gameplay and class/party customization in particular are great, and the soundtrack is full of straight up bangers.

| I dun goofed there, sorry about that.

| Elona

| LiEat is fun, though probably not really what you're looking for. Very little customization and very simple as far as most fights go, but it has a great OST and is like 3 bucks for around 3h of playtime. Snack sized JRPG basically

| >>793679
I really wouldn't call LiEat a JRPG. It's more like a narrative adventure game with an RPG interface, if that makes sense.

Good game though.

| >>793679 LiEat isn't JRPG.

| Customizable class is debatable, but if you're interested in PSP titles a Suikoden game not released in the west has been fully translated and is now playable

| >>793574 Tried Octopath Traveller, it sounded appealing on paper but I found it too repetitive. Mostly with the towns/dungeons and story structure, so it felt less like an interesting journey and more like going through the motions.

I tried one Etrian Odyssey game (EO5) and really enjoyed it, even though I never beat the first section's boss.

| >>793572 FF12 definitely fits what I look for!

Not Persona 5, since managing a high schooler life isn't what I play JRPGs for.

I'm not in the market for strategy RPGs either, but I do love Tactics Ogre.

| SMT 3: Nocturne

I have nothing more to say

| >>793888
For customizable party, maybe. But can't emphasize the adventure if you get random encounter every 10 steps.

| The SaGa series might be up your alley. Lots of potential party members to customize, and I remember most of the games being open-ended to an extent.

| >>795007 I second this with SaGa SCARLET GRACE: AMBITIONS

| >>793873 If you play Persona 5, it goes much deeper than "high school" sim.

It's actually a great commentary on how people in real life ignore and run away from things when it gets harder. It also commentates on how ignoring real life matters like corruption and all can have destructive consequences on the society. Most people who dislike P5 fail to see the thematic depth and think of it as a teensy game. Fact is P5 is NOT a teensy game.

| In real life, when someone sees something wrong, they ignore it and go their own way. Persona 5 calls out acts like this and how destructive it is. It's a critique on democracy, personal liberty and society as a whole.

| >>0cbda8 can you give your own summary of P4?

| >>795301
About half of the game is still high school sim, no matter how much you sugarcoat it... And it is still very much a teensy game despite touching in topics relevant to both teens and adults, if only because of the general attitude and the whole "rebel" aesthetic.

| >>795340
As a very big fan of Persona 5, well, you're right. While the highschool SIM aspect doesn't really have a lot of highschool and is honestly pretty fun, it is still highschool sim no matter how good it is.
For the aesthetics, also agreed. While I feel like the themes are almost made more for adults than teens, that doesn't change the fact that the main cast is rebel teens discovering that the world kinda sucks.
So if that doesn't interest you, that's completely fair.

| Don't listen to >>793554

play the original Bravely Default

| >>0cbda8 >>cedd3a >>797f50
I think y'all blowing this out of proportion relative to op's question. OP said she wants an "adventure". Considering that P5 takes place entirely within one city (with a bit of linear dungeon-delving elsewhere) and a relatively mundane setting (that of a high school student), it hardly fits that.

No shade on what P5 is (it's a good game). It's just not what op wants.

| Dragon Quest 8 is a solid game which will make you a boob g/u/rl 100% by the time you finish it.

| >>795826 Actually Dragon Quest 9 as well.

| >>795826 >>796105
And what about 7?

| >>795631 yeaaaah, when I think of adventure, I think of spelunking in a dungeon of unknown dangers or trekking through forests & seas to a cool new city. Not commuting to the same school all year long.

| Just realised I forgot to give a recommendation when I commented here.

Indivisible. It's not super long. Probably 20-30 hours first time through. But, it's by far one of the most unique JRPGs I've ever played.
While the characters themselves aren't really customizable, there are 26 or so (all completely different and very unique) party members that you can get throughout the game and combine in different ways, which scratched that itch nicely since the game isn't too long.

| Story is top tier, combat is very unique, exploration is very different to other JRPGs but it has a very nice sense of adventure and each area is completely different.

| >>796391
Gonna counter this with Indivisible Is A Bad Game Honestly. Traversal is a goddamn pain in the ass and the way they designed the areas feel like they just throw puzzle platforms all over the place without much thought. I got no sense of adventure at all, only of being whisked from one painful platformer to another.

Combat feel samey even when you can swap around the dozens party members. No stats, no equipments.

YMMV though, might be worth a try for you.

| >>796391
Not superlong.
20-30 hours.

Omg pick one xD. If a game takes more time than a TV season, I count it as pretty long no matter the genre.

| >>796426
I disagree. I loved the way they did the world and it wasn't a problem to traverse at all. Pretty smooth tbh. I do play a fair bit of metroidvanias, so I might just be more used to that kind of movement and exploration though, and imo the way they did it was pretty good.

I liked the combat a lot and did a lot of different stuff, so, idkwym.
Stat increases are automatic, which I liked, and equipment in this game would just be unnecessary.

So, just different taste ig.

| >>796427
Homie. Most JRPGs are 60-100 hours. So compared to the average length of a JRPG it's not super long.

| >>795340 it's not a teensy game whatsoever. The commentary it has is far too mature for one. The whole story is about how being passive and apathetic witnesses can ruin a society. A high school setting doesn't make it teensy. That's like saying Rebel Without A Cause is a teensy movie or the Catcher in the Rye is a teensy book. If you don't understand the theme and the commentary , just say it.

| >>796503
Look, I don't really know what makes you get your panties in a twist so hard here, but there's nothing wrong with P5 being pretty teensy at its core.
Like I said already, the general topics it touches upon are applicable to the more mature audiences as well, true, but the execution and the general aesthetic definitely cater to a specific audience. And that's not a bad thing, get over yourself.

| Also if you're seriously trying to compare P5 to those books, maybe you should go (re)read them and see for yourself why it's a laughable comparison at best.

| Skies of arcadia.

| Star Renegades.

Canadian made JRPG, unexpectedly good.

| >>796612 Canadian Japanese RPG

Sounds about right

| >>796826
JRPG means Japanese style of RPGs. Not that they're made in Japan.

Total number of posts: 42, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1634938602

This thread is permanently archived