danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Best 3D fighter?

| Mechanically, I put my stake in Dead or Alive (especially recent ones). It is easily the 3D fighter with the smoothest and crisp fights. It has depth, fluidity, and impact. Tekken is good, but is stiff. Soul Calibur lacks a high technical ceiling. DOA sits pretty, but it is shit for story and world building, but is still the best.

| I liked mechanics from Naruto games "^^

| Virtual fighter

| Tekken is great. I could have played doa if others played it as well but it is always dead on arival for some reason.

| Super Smash Bros 64 and you can't change my mind.

| 2D>3D

| >>770258
Only if Killer Instinct gets improved.

| Aren't all the games op mentioned 2D fighters? Like, sure, the graphic's 3D, but the gameplay is still 2D? When someone say 3D fighters I'm thinking something like Dissidia.

I know very little about fighting games tho so please correct me if I'm wrong.

| >>770423 no, those by games are 3D fighters. Characters can move forward, back, left, and right. Ive had my share of strafing in Tekken.

A game like Dissidia is more of an arena fighter, albeit one of the most exceptional and unconventional examples.

| Personally I don't consider a game that if you press left, you go back, and if you press right, you go forward, as a truly 3D fighting game. Straffing in Tekken feels like you are only changing the enviorement, but there is no free movement between the 3 dimensions. When straffing, if you move to another position and proceed to attack, you'll do the same as if you didn't move or jumped over your rival.

| For me a 3D fighter game would be something like Pokken or Dragon Ball Xenoverse (or budokai tenkaichi), where I can move my character freely in any direction with the sitck.
I prefer the Dragon Ball ones because there is lot of verticallity and also in Xenoverse more than 2 fighters at once is not just tag.

| >>770449
Oh, huh. I wasn't even aware you can strafe in Tekken. I thought 3D fighter is like what >>770450 said, or are those specifically "arena figthers"?

And, genuine question, is strafing actually important? From a total beginner's perspective it doesn't look like it changes much.

| Oh whoops, first reply should have gone to >>770436

| >>770453 strafing to the side is very important for dodging attacks and flanking your opponent! Even more important in a fighting stage with walls or pitfalls.

| >>770449 that's a very odd definition. Especially when in Tekken, you CAN move or jump over your opponent. Not as high over them unless they did a crouch or slide.

If attacks have hit boxes in 3 dimensions and the movement is in 3 dimensions, it's a 3D fighting game. So to say Tekken, Virtua Fighter, and Soul Calibur are not 3D fighters despite fighting those criteria would be silly.

| >>770493
Ok this discussion actually led me into a deep dive on 3D fighting games. I genuinely was not aware that these games even have 3D hitboxes, or that they've actually been doing this for a very long time.

Thanks for broadening my horizons, g/u/rls.

| Senran Kagura

| I like smash bros melee on emulator, but when it comes to the best 3d fighter tekken is reely gud

| >>770450 Budokai Tenkaichi 3 was sooo good!

| >>769972 I don't know anything about these games, but did you know dead or alive had a collab with azur lane '- '

| Devil May Cry is the best 3D fighter cuz we all know that Dante is a shoto

Kapp

| Rubix Cube online simulator

| Koikatsu

| Tekken for sure. I used to think DoA 2 was the best until Tekken Tag 2

| Used to be a soul calibur fans, but I switched to DOA because I really like their model. The characters looks realistic and anime at the same time.

Total number of posts: 25, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1625472861

This thread is permanently archived