danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Framerates

| Alright, I have a Series S and can get 60 frames with my tv. Is it worth it to get a monitor to go up to 120+? I like competitive games, but even 60 feels much smoother than the 30 I'm accustomed to. Is it worth it to upgrade for a competitive edge, or is the difference between 60 and 120 negligible in terms advantage? Money is definitely a factor.

| Having 120+ fps is a huge advantage in twitch shooters and similar games. My ns2 elo went up 1000 points in a couple of days when I bought a 144hz monitor.

| No. If you're a noob, a guy witb 60hz will fuck you hard. Anything above 60 is a manchild's toy and shouldn't even exist.

| Only if you play games that have mechanics locked to framerate.

| >>758624 >>758663
I have no idea how to reconcile these two very conflicting statements.

>>758667
Examples? I play Halo, Siege, For Honor, BF4 and fighting games, mainly. The fighting games are the biggest slave to frames, I assume.

| >>758679
You probably shouldn't trust a person that uses insults and calls for stagnation instead of arguments.

| >>758679
A high FPS helps a lot while playing siege. There's a valid reason why progamers never use 60fps monitors. That should tell you enough.

HZ isn't everything when it comes to getting a new monitor though. You also want low input lag and little to no ghosting. Sadly this drives the price way up.

| For twitch shooters like Siege you want a fast response time, which is generally measured in milliseconds (ms), it’s directly related to refresh rate in that a monitor can only really refresh its image quickly if the pixels can respond quick enough. A 16ms response time translates to a theoretical maximum of a 60Hz refresh rate 1s/60 = 16.6ms.

| If your pc has rendered 60 frames within 16.6ms and suppose it has frame latency of 2ms. Now within the same 1 refresh(16.6ms) if we have 120 frames, then frame latency will become 1ms.

| With a 120hz monitor the refresh rate is only 8.3ms. I shouldn't have to tell you why this is an advantage when it comes to games like Siege.

| >>758689
Thanks for the great info. I've been looking at monitors, but I keep seeing things about them not working with consoles. Originally, I was checking out 27' 1080 monitors, but like I said, there seems to be compatibility issues right now. I don't know how true that is, though.

Total number of posts: 11, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1620778486

This thread is permanently archived