danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
I don't understand DLC

| Deluxe edition, Gold Edition, Game of the Year edition, Royal edition, etc, etc. I don't get it. I only recently bought a ps4 and browsing the store hurts my brain. So many games have different editions related to dlc. Doesn't make any sense. I hate it

| The worst one is Limited edition. Limited? Limited to what!? Yeah, it's limited alright. Limited to the amount you can sell.

| >>753113
Sounds like a Seinfeld routine lmao

>What's the deal with pre-packed DLCs? I don't get it! You don't DownLoad it. There's barely any Content. It should be called ICB, Included Bubkes.

| I could understand it's existence when we have a full game and, after it's initial launch, the development of said DLCs start. Maybe the game has been a huge success, and players demand more content, so devs expand the game's lore, or add new weapons or maps or whatever. That would be fine for big DLCs.

What I can't comprehend, and bothers me A LOT, is when companies announce the plans for their base game AND THEIR DLCS, even months before it's initial launch.

| And then you find people like that former dev of Days Gone, saying that we consumers must buy games at full price, and by not doing that we don't have any right to complain if there's no sequel.

Yeah, sorry if I don't want to pay 70€ for a base game, plus 10-15€ for each of your 4 DLCs, and then having microtransactions inside your game. (This doesn't apply to Days Gone, but latest big releases ork like that)

| >>753160
I can understand why they showcase their first DLC before the launch of the game. After all the game content is finished you have to wait for optimizations, bug fixes and even after going gold there's a month or so before the game actually hits the stores.

During that time it makes sense to have the game designers, graphics artists, producers etc working on a different project, like the first DLC.

But I suspect some companies start working on it way before that though.

| >>753099 "i love money' - Mr. Krabs

| Make a game then cut in half, put dlc sticker on another half. same effort more money

| Just pirate like an edgy 14 yr old guys. Ez.

| i feel like since DSL it was going to be the natural progression.
>we can patch the game after launch!
>we can add new content after launch without disks!
>we can extend the life of our ip with more packs!
all good things, but taken to their natural conclusion it gets scummy quick.

| Insert "it just works" song here

| It definitely is a bother in actual games, we tend to get more games with less content everyone BUT WOAH LOOK AT THESE SICK FUCKING GRAPHICS THAT LOOK LIKE REAL LIFE AND COMPLEX SOULLESS SYSTEMS THAT HAVE NO IMPACT IN GAME, making every development 10 times as expensive, and this in every fucking gender, VNs, FGs, Shooters, RPG's and shit. I deadass think the pursue of photorealism and reinventing the wheel takes the fault of the creation of DLC

| DLC is just a way of barely making the profit goal and a decent product in most cases, I really hope the industry finds a way to stop themselves from this cannibalistic endeavor, either by them stopping to make fucking horrific hyperrealism or making really well thought out small games.
I know indie development is a whole different story but holy fuck if AAA couldn't learn a thing or two about getting actual art-styles for the games and mechanics.

| Also can you please help me, what the fuck is a season pass? Are games like tv shows now and I can miss out on content?

| >>753319 Basically... Yup

| >>753319
You can buy all DLCs separately or you can buy a season pass and get all the first years DLCs for slightly cheaper.

If there's a Game of the Year edition available it usually comes with most DLCs prepackaged.

If you want the extra content then waiting for a Game of the Year-release gives you the most bang for the buck.

It's confusing, I know, but it makes extra dollar dollar bills for the publishers.

| The only good dlc is the free dlc or the after demand extra content dlc

| >>753410 It makes extra dollars, and is an utterly immoral practice. But people don't care, and keep on buying and destroying the video game industry.

| Imagine caring about morals in business.

| Imagine lacking morals so much you think you can switch them on and off

| There is no ethics in business. If ppl dont like it, then they wont pay. If they do pay who cares. Just do wut works. Eventually youll be hated enough that a big change will happen, and itll just start all over again. Eg. Indie devs will get more popular since big companies suck so much and might eventually commit the same mistakes the big companies did. Youll end up complaining forever. Just cut ur pain short and play whatever games interest you instead of caring bout their morals

| It certainly isnt the companys fault that you feel like you are missin out on the dlcs

| DLC is one thing but now that i think about it, it isnt nearly as egregious as pre orders. though its one of the main factors in how quickly game sizes are skyrocketing

| >>753794 Market research would disagree with you.

| >>753849 what i was trying to say with that line is that it is your own fault for feeling that way. You yourself are responsible for how you deal with bullshit. Surely you arent allowing market research tell you what to feel lol

| >>753859 I understand personal responsibility and maybe your argument is better for talking about whales but you're blaming the average consumer for falling for manipulation techniques that have been carefully crafted to pressure people into buying something of inflated value. Like it's not the consumer's fault that a song from a commercial is stuck in their head. Consumers just want a full experience and with dlc it's not clear what full means.

| >>753885
It is ultimately the consumers choice to purchase the product, no matter the amount of PR they have been subjected to.

| >>753885 thats correct, i am blaming them for being dumb enough to fall for it. A consumer should be able to think about what they are buying and decide if it is worth it. Why even have money if u cant even do that? Average consumers arent victims, nobody is. Ill admit it's rough not being able to buy on release anymore, having to wait for a rerelease with all the dlc or something similar. Or seeing ur fav franchise die from corporate greed. But thats rly all thats changed i think

| A fair amount of good stories with goid gameplay r still being pushed out and thats enough for at least me to enjoy

Total number of posts: 29, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1619087648

This thread is permanently archived