danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Sony is alledgedly closing the PS Vita, PSP and PS3 stores

| The PS3, PS Vita, and PlayStation Portable stores aren’t long for this world. According to a source familiar with the situation (verified by TheGamer), the stores are due to be closed down from July. The announcement is planned for the end of this month.

| PSP’s and PS3’s stores are to be closed on July 2, while the PS Vita store will stay open until August 27. After those dates, you will no longer be able to purchase digital copies of games or DLC for any of the Sony consoles mentioned above.

Source: https://www.thegamer.com/ps3-vita-psp-stores-permanently-closed/

| It is making me feel little sad.. it is showing up how handhelds died :c

| >>747500
I mean, the Switch is basically the Vita 2.0

Mine is a handheld 99.9% of the time

| That really sucks

| >>747578 idk, but designely it seems more than tablet than handheld.. and is relatively heavy for holding..

| Really awesome move by Sony. So cool that a bunch of digital only games are now only gonna be accessible through piracy or emulation. What a great way to fuck over the indie market that's been supporting the Vita far more than Sony ever has.

| I mean I don't see the problem and why everyone is making from it such an scandal, these things happens because none of the ones worrying use these services to begin with. Just homebrew them, Ps Vita has impossible homebrew ports like Gta San Andreas or Max Payne.

>>747614 The PS Vita Indie devs has been already ready for this since 2019 with physical releases to counter it.

| >>747624 Most of the physical releases of indie games for Vita are limited, and often become expensive for anyone who doesn't get them at release (which admittedly fucks over fans more than devs, but it's still an issue). Plus there are plenty of indie games on Vita that didn't have physical releases at all. Plus plus even with physical releases devs are still being fucked over in that they have at least one less major storefront where their games are being sold.

| >>747587
Sounds to me like you need to lift more.

| >>747633 Yeah, like any game ever release on any platform ever since ever. If there is demand there are more copies, if there is no demand it becomes more limited. Again, is not like everyone is interested on them and devs already know what they were into (plus they are moving on and releasing on other platforms with enhanced versions). Even though there are rumours and so much drama I don't see anyone buying games for these platforms.

| >>747709 it's more a preservation thing than anything else. Sure there's not a lot of vita exclusives, but the vita has a fairly unique experience that you can't exactly replicate.

Even compared to the switch, it's a way different device. The vita isn't using a fan and is a lot less heavy (+feels generally more solid). Playing games on the Vita feels like I'm playing a handheld. Playing games on switch as a handheld just feels like I'm trying to play a console as a handheld.

| >>747711 this is really accurate reply ^^

| >>747711 That's why I'm defending piracy to begin with, if you check PS Vita's piracy reddit everyone is crazy about making backups of all the games since the rumours came out (with a 1TB microSD you could fit all the games Vita has) plus extends the catalog to homebrew games and ports.

A Regular Switch in handheld supports games Vita will never manage to even stare at, and I can guarantee you, Switch Lite is lighter than a PS Vita, had both on hands at the same time to test it.

| Switch defies the whole concept of handheld games and console games, making some console games better experienced just because they are portable on this system, and the new models have a really extensive battery life, the second portable console with most battery independance behind the DSi.
PS Vita is a 10 year old handheld it's a tie of pros and cons alongside a 3DS, worth for what it is except for Sony killing its possibilites.

| Switch games for me suck but I'd pirate shit on it and play some old good stuff

| >>747739 The problem I have with saying that the switch as the "defier" of console/handheld is that a lot of games released for it aren't optimized for that ditchonomy.

As an example: Handhelds need quick save availability since you need to be able to put them down at any point. Ideally it's best to autosave the game. Yet most of the games released for the system are straight up console ports where saving is still limited in going to a menu and pressing save manually.

| Like, yeah you're not wrong on paper but the reality of it all is just that the Switch feels a lot like an inferior console and like a poorly designed handheld at times, especially when compared to actual consoles or the actual handhelds of the previous generation.

| >>747894 That's why sleep mode exists, Switch is the fastest and most optimized, as it barely consumes battery out of all handheld released. Auto-save is not a thing the console should do (unless you consider savestates which only Homebrewed PS Vita can do it), the games should be designed towards that. Savestates are cool but would break the whole point of games designed to penalize players in some way or another. So that's devs's choice.

| In terms of handeld, playing Disgaea, Skyrim, Minecraft, or Terraria for a long session, putting Switch on Sleep mode and continuing were you left without closing the game is the best one right now. 3DS and PS Vita are the second best but they drain battery while in sleep and you can wake up to some errors in some rare scenarios.

| I don't seem to remember many 3DS and PS Vita games with auto-save to be honest. The only game I can remember is Gravity Rush which does auto-save in a weird way, so you should never trust it. This was also a thing on DS, PSP and even GB, like, only Racing Games would auto-save. Many after beating a mission promts you a message box if you want to save, on Nintendo you would only have to press yes, on Sony you would have to select a savefile number, confirm it and close it, always.

Total number of posts: 21, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1616691159

This thread is permanently archived