danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Thinking of building a gaming PC. What parts should I get?

| Hey g/u/rls, I thought about building a gaming PC separate from my work computer. My budget is $500 USD. I almost bought an Xbox with that money but changed my mind.

The idea is to make a desktop PC that I could easily haul around and hook up to a TV like a console. If I had to pick a game as a high end benchmark for my ideal specs, it would be Devil May Cry 5. But most of what I plan to play are multi-player shooters, indies,and fighting games.

| Easily haul? If you're planning on taking it place to place constantly, then it would be better to get a laptop. $500 is definitely doable, but it's a little difficult, especially with a smaller form factor.

| I mean just rig a handle on top and you could haul anything reasonably heavy right?

| >>735187
Don't buy a laptop for $500. There were good laptop a few years for that price. Nowadays there are but they have like 128 GB SSD and are i5 (not bad if you just want to play games, but a $500 laptop will give you battery and cooling problems).

512gb storage(50-100€)
A graphic card with or more than 4GB (200-400€)
i5 (max150€) i7 (max300€)
a 8gb ram (max50€)
motherboard (30-90€)
Box and cooling system under your choice.

If you find good deals you might have enough

| >wants to play Devil May Cry V
>on a $500 laptop
Hahahahahah that's hilarious.

Real talk though, if your budget is only $500 and you need the PC just for gaming AND you want to hook it to a TV, you're really better off getting a console. It'll be pretty hard getting decent parts with that kind of budget, not worth the risk and hassle imo.

| >>735205 but I already have consoles. Not all the games I want to play are on them, including freeware and emulators. Plus I want to play multiplayer without worrying about a paid subscription. Anyway I said DMC5 would be ideal, but not a requirement.

| >>735187 Nah. Last I checked, laptops can't have their parts switched out as easily as a desktop.

| >>735205 My 2013 laptop of 800€ can run it. There's definetly a lot of laptops now from less than 600€ that can do more than your Sony's air conditioner, even RTX included. Don't overstimate consoles just because they are easy to trick performance. They are overpriced but people fall for it. A true console costing 500 would be a beast compared to those bland casual platforms based only on demand for Fortnite

| >>735301 but the problem us laptops become obsolete after a few years then you need a better one while a computer can be easily upgraded to the current standards if you so choose. Some laptop brands will say they will create upgrades for it but eventually they stop.

| >>735303 I haven't researched enough around the Internet but from what i have seen whenever I had to clean my laptop was that in theory almost anything should be possible, only problem is the size of the laptop because of graphics cards, maybe you could print yourself a case. But Ram and storage upgrades should fit perfectly (depending on the brand and series). But it's easier to get a good laptop that last 5 years of good service.

| It all depends on the wanted used, but to use a pc just for gaming should be pretty cheap.

Apart from my previous response >>735195 based on official recommended components to run DMC5, I recommend searching for some web that let's you build your own pc like https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ so you can make an idea. Again, depending on your needs you would need between 400$ and 600$

| So you're going to pay about 100 for case + misc 100 for mobo leaving 300 for cpu gpu at that price you'd be getting something like ryzen 3, or intel i3/ i5 used and 200 gpu is like nvidia 1650

If you want to build in that price range you're much better off getting used parts were you can

| >>735301
500 USD to *check conversion* 700-900 USD is still quite a jump. Maybe you're right though. I'm a bit biased because my 2017 $500 laptop can't even run PS3-level games well.

>>735265
Ah, I see. That's fair enough.

| I was a little hyper focused on the portability aspect of this conversation, since I'm also on the move.
But the main point of my post was saying it's really really hard to get something at the $500 price point.

| an up-to-date GAMING PC is probably gonna be hard to make on 500 without waiting for good deals. maybe you'd have more luck with old parts?

however if you aren't super interested in triple A games it is surprisingly easy to get by on a crappier rig. while I have a GAMING PC I can play most of my indie games and counterstrike on my 2016 Thinkpad, which I got for 600usd. if you're ok with that restriction, I think it's probably possible to get a similar desktop for that price.

| >>735384
>if you aren't super interested in triple A games

Hardly. Closest that I say I'm interested in are Tekken 7 and For Honor, but I mostly want to play the small indie games too. Especially the ones I've stocked up on my steam account before my current pc became my work computer.

| You should always be prepared to invest more into a gaming pc than a console. You'll make it back with the cheaper games but if your budget is 500 you should keep saving til u have a bigger budget

Total number of posts: 17, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1612231511

This thread is permanently archived