danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Being a f2p player in a gacha game

| Im almost at my wits end at just removing my f2p title and buying shit i want in a gacha game and i'll probably will feel guilty about it later. I was naive to think it was easy being a f2p player

| That's what made me quit Genshin Impact in the first place. Shit would've been a groundbreaking game without the wallet draining mobile gacha approach.

| I've been f2p for many years and just recently i gave in some bucks just to see how it goes and it was instant regret

| >>732353
I mean, it kinda is anyway. You can easily clear all available content as F2P, except maybe the Abyss but that's just totally optional challenge runs. And even then you can grind up an F2P team to beat it, it'll just take a bit longer and require a bit more skill.

| Wasting money on F2P games is not worth it. You will probably feel satisfied once you are trying the product, you may buy a second or a third. But after 1 month you will forget completetly what you purchased. Don't be stupid.

Also:
----------------------------
#SeparateGachaFrom/v
Thanks.
----------------------------

| The key thing with being an F2P player in a gacha game is that you shouldn't expect to get anything. If you get anything good in a pull, that's a pleasant surprise, not something you plan for.

If you start desperately wanting to have things stay the fuuuck away from gacha games.

| Stay away from games that make you pay for a "chance" to roll something (i.e. pay irl cash for x amount of premium currency to reroll a banner), rather than giving you something useful outright
The only game I can think of that does the latter is Kancolle, where half of the cash shop items are obtainable through f2p gameplay anyway, but that's hardly a gacha game and more of a rng simulator

| Stay away from games that make you pay for a "chance" to roll something (i.e. pay irl cash for x amount of premium currency to reroll a banner), rather than giving you something useful outright
The only game I can think of that does the latter is Kancolle, where half of the cash shop items are obtainable through f2p gameplay anyway, but that's hardly a gacha game and more of a rng simulator

| I think it's fine to spend a certain amount on them, especially if it seems like they've been made with effort, like Sdorica and Arknights.

| >>732413 Does that means we should spend money on scams just because there is some effort?

| >>732652 not the gurl that you replied to.

Not that we should spend money on scams, but let's say I have no console and I want to play zelda/god of war or any other console exclusives. I have to pay for the price of 1 console + the game.

Meanwhile the cost of entry of these gacha games are 0. You can try and play it for months for free. So if the gacha game has quality and you like it, it is pretty fair to spend 100-200$ on it as long as you don't spend more than the cost...

| Of a console + 1 game.

Please note that I am not defending gacha games that asks you to spend money on horrible rates AND wants you to collect dupes of that 0.6% character like genshin and FGO. 200$ won't be enough for those games especially if you are unlucky. I was talking about the like of GFL and Azur Lane, in which if you spend 200$ on them and manage your resources well, you don't need to spend anymore money.

| I think the level of whether a gacha game is a "scam" or not, and how much spending is considered "enough" depends on the person.

Like, I genuinely like Genshin Impact as a game. I'm perfectly willing to pay that monthly $5 to get extra rolls, just because I like the game. I'm not paying because I'm obsessively trying to get a specific pull.

| If you're someone with gambling or impulse problems, you really shouldn't touch gacha games at all. It's obviously bad when a game actively preys on that problem, but I like to give the benefit of the doubt and believe that most gacha game developers are trying to strike a good balance.

You know how we tell people to drink responsibly? Play gacha games responsibly!

| It is easy being f2p in a gacha. Just depends on the gacha really.
In Epic Seven, the guild I was in was full f2p and was dipping in and out top 100 guilds in Guild War. Hovering around that rank ya know. Not for a short period either, we were there for months and still are.

| >>732727 I'm sorry but that's not how it works. Playing a gacha game requires a device to play it. Mostly a mobile. Gachas get old and are forgotten, new ones rise and push in a mandatory way the market of phones with the need of more performance.

While consoles date generations between 4 and 7 years, gacha games can literally date your phone in 1 year. Mobile companies don't help either as they drop support on the OS as soon as it is possible.

| In ten years you can go back to your console and play that Zelda/God of War game and many other games with no issue.
But you will have to wish really hard so your gacha game's still Online and that it works on your next 4th phone.
>>732786 the people you are talking about are the target. That's how mobile gambling works. If it wasn't the case these game would be just 100% free and allow premium editions.
Gacha will just be a memory or a hole in your memory and bank account.

| Why a videogame doesn't? well of course there are games and games and some gEAmes follow some gacha mechanics. But games like Zelda, God Of War, Mario, Halo... will offer you an experience you will learn from, or just feel pleased, playing the way that you want, so that hole can be justified.
Paying 50$ for your 5 Star Waifu won't teach you anything, she won't do much for you and you will pay double the price to get the same character in swimsuit.

| >>732806
You know, some people actually like the limited-time events. It's not an inherently bad thing when compared to games you can play forever.

And some people actually like the collecting and randomized rewards effect of gacha. The games are designed around these moments. For me personally, in some gacha games, just immediately getting what I want won't be half as fun.

| When we pay for gacha, we don't really pay for the pull, but indirectly also for the experience of the entire game itself. Why would we pull if the game itself isn't fun, you know?

I think the gacha game market as a whole is still (and should be) figuring out what is acceptable to monetize or not.
I do think there should be more regulations and more widespread norms about it, but I'm of the opinion that gacha games aren't bad just because they're gacha games.

| >>732785 I agree, it depends on the person, but most people will not call AAA/premium game that they buy on their console as scam (unless it is buggy, unfinished or EA lootbox). Pretty much when you know how much you have to spend to enjoy a game, it is not a scam.

| >>732803 Yes, you need phones, but most people have phone regardless if they are a mobile game or not... you can't compare it to console in which you buy mainly to play games.

You go play the popular ones to have a guarantee that the game will last for a long time. I will be suprised if Genshin Impact dies in less than 10 years. And this is coming from a gurl that don't like the game or their gacha rate.

| >>732808 Pokemon had limited time events... they went to shit once GAME started to get involved with them though... I get that point, I loved the Celebi one on HGSS and the only way to replay it it's through hacking (or searching through event distribution cards on eBay) but hacking on a gacha game I suppose its a bit more complicated.
But that feeling is what got me out of MMORPG which also have lot of Limited Events. I realized so much content was lost it wasn't worth it.

| You can get that experience from other games, most roguelikes like The Binding of Isaac randomizes the whole game each time you play and there are daily runs which are challenging and sometimes themed. But most gachas "special events" are skinned gameplay and rewards, it means something when it's a crossover, but for others... you may be the only one liking and remembering one event, you won't be able to share your experience to as much people.

| >>732812 as I said some gacha games push the technology needed and most people who play gacha wouldn't buy new phones if they didn't have space or performance issues or friends who are playing it just for the trend. This is in a span of 1-2 year for a majority. And many trendy phones aren't particullary cheaper than a PS5. Without gachas people would start to think on why would they spend extra money on a thing just for social apps and calls.

| >>732956 Excluding genshin, most gacha are notorious for the .png collection, so it's not hard to run. Some that uses live 2d has the option to turn it off. The hardest part on the performance is usually the gameplay in which they mostly use chibi sprite to lighten the performance anyways.

More people worry if thir phone can run PUBG or Fortnite more than gacha games. I haven't tried many, but my 3 years old 3gb ram midrange phone can run these games.

| Nowadays you can get 6gb with the same price, not mentioning some chinese brand that can offer that much ram with less price. If anything, people that play more than 1 gacha on their phone (not me) complain about the memory space more than the performance. Which they can just buy extra storage.

| Unlike many I have self control so f2p all the way hahahahahahaha

| Real talk, klee + diluc on ebay was 25 bucks on ebay yall should just buy accounts. One 5* usually goes for like 5 bucks

| >>733019 Normally yes, but some devs will say some phones aren't compatible with their games so you can't really download that game officially unless from an APK somewhere on the Internet. I know Dragalia Lost did this to a friend and she ended up buying a new phone because she was tired of searching for an APK every update.

| >>733021
The case can be even worse for iPhone users who can't add extra storage that easily (and cheap)... but if they are iPhone users probably money isn't the problem they think about lol.

| I feel you. I bought something in a gacha game for the first time today. Just like, the cheap as fuck starter pack type thingy with a unit and some resources. Probably won't go further than that though, because I don't really have the wallet for it.

| >>9692e8 most people who are into gacha play them on pc, no one buys a new phone just so that they could play gacha

| >>9692e8 and did you really just compare rougelikes and limited time events? Bruh

Total number of posts: 34, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1611656592

This thread is permanently archived