danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Should I remove an Easter Egg from a controversial Content Creator?

| So I have been developing a game for 4 years now and I made a poster drawing as a reference to a Youtuber that help me a lot before creating the game, basically I learned a lot of English thanks to his content.

He left the internet by the time I started my game, but last year some random people I never heard of started talking about some things he supposedly did and many fans of him stopped being his fan for what these people said, even his Twitter fan account was removed.

| So that made me think if my game gets released with a reference to his content, there might be controversy and maybe even people could hate my game. But at the same time I want to give him thanks, wheter he has some controversial stories some random people I never heard of said and everyone believed them because he would just never come back to defend himself (he said he wouldn't come back so it's a nice opportunity I guess) or not, his content was good.

| It's up to you. You aren't giving us much info and most ppl herewill probably say "fuck people do what you want". Personally-imho-if you yourself can recognise this guy has his issues, maybe that's enough. For example, I like reading Marquis de Sade but I wouldnt list him as an influence since thatd immediately get people on my ass about pedophilia and other transgressions that I personally despise

| aaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAHHHH shut the fuuuuck upppp... who gives a shit... if you're retarded enough to lick the boot of cancel culture then go ahead... be peer pressured into being twitter cops' good little bitch... if your brain is hardwired to obey conformity then there's nothing i can do for you... kinda pathetic tbh...

| i'd list Marquis de Sade as an influence because he wasn't society's boot-licking slut and did whatever he wanted... he's a legend compared to whomever you're trying to pander to.

if you don't anger people then you're a nobody. people make enemies when they're big and try to change something.

spoiler because >>731756 sums it all up.

| who's the creator bro i'll check him out

| If you are gonna feel uncomfortable after releasing your game just because of a small easter egg, I think you shouldn't put it in.

| >>44f4b7
oof try a bit harder edgemaster

| >>cf9152
bang on

| I also find it funny that ppl wanna act like "cancel culture" is just sjws not liking sometbing and not uhhhhh the historical aft of boycotting or veeribg away from profucts or servuces. Which literally every culture does to some extent about everything, from coffee machines to socks and sandals.

These losers that whine about ut are hardcore telling on themselves and how hard they suck the dicks of [insert muh favourite public figure uwu].

| >>731762
pathetic reply

| >>731764
Your take is stupid, let's cancel you.

| >>731770
[This reply cannot be viewed as the poster has been C A N C E L L E D]

| It's either Filthy Frank or Carson. If the former, keep it, the actual fans still love him and will back you up. If the latter, remove it, not worth dealing with twitter machine accusing you of supporting pedophilia.

| >>731865
Wowowo what did my boi Frank do (unless its just unhhhh racially insensitive)??? Afaik hes ine of the more level headed weirdoes

| >>731865 >>731877
how can you be such cuckolds?

also i support Carson!

| I say remove it. People here are very bullheaded about "muh sjws!!!1!" but there's no shame in removing a reference if you think it will help out your game in the long run.

| Would be way better to decide it if we:
Knew the content creator

At least knew what the content creator

Knew how much that content creator helped since credits are important

| >>731895 there is no point to this thread if we cant guage the situation, without more detail and truth it will just be a fight of the 2 extremes of this conversation.

| >>731891
"cuckolds" cringe

| Ultimately, you do you, but I'd just remove it. Without even considering who the person is or what they did, it's likely not going to be worth the trouble for a small homage to somebody who isn't even around to receive it.

You're either going to get bothered by the weirdos who would be upset by it, or made a symbol by the weirdos who are upset by others getting upset. Your game would be better off with neither group involved.

| >>731911 this is the only correct take

| I think thanking the content creator with your words and explanation (in an interview for example) is better than inserting into your game. Cause showing the nuance in a simple image won't be understood. Or use metaphors in your game to reference to the person

| >>731929 ^^^

| >>731911 Must agree

| >>731929 Totally agree. That's why in most books the author makes a special mention or dedication to someone, in movies it's usually on the credits...

| >>731908
>"cuckolds" cringe
cringe

| >>731929 >>731952 >>731956 >>732004
why are all of you so terrified of what people think of you?

OP you are NOT responsible for people's retardation. if you let yourself get bullied into submission by twitter retards then you just shouldn't publish your game at all.

think skins, paralyzed by opinions, an can't take criticism!

| >>732020
Lmao
"Op you are an island and pride is all that matters. Who cares if your game fades into obscurity after being trashed for those reasons? It's other people's faults for caring about like things and stuff"

so yeah op compare the extremely reasonable responses of "idk man probly not" to the few visceral "FUCK SJWS DO IT FOR SPITE" responses and you might note a pattern

| like....we live in an age where a game that was hyped up for half a decade killed all of its hype and respectability in under a week due to bugs alone. People acting like you as an indie dev can be expected to weather worse are stupid. They are stupid, OP.

| >>732029 >>732030
that is literally not an argument

| >>732020 "then you just shouldn't publish your game at all"
Ironic.

| >>732092
Lol it doesnt need to be cos this isnt some twinkie ass debate stage mr logic. The fact is that whether or not you care about capitulating to either extreme there will be a reception, and you can choose if that reception is about the game or about some dumb controversy attached to the game-and when AAA publishers get ripped to shreds for far less indie devs should just steer clear of potential bullshit.

feel free to disagree for """reasons""" tho

| >>732104
So either you try to make money or you try to make difference

| >>732105
No lol it isnt about "making a difference". If any of YOU brave souls want to take up the torch for embattled drama youtubers go for it tho. Op just has to decide whether it is worth inviting that scrutiny. Never forget that for every imagined "sjws cancelled muh game" there are the legions of chuds that harassed chicks in 2014, or hell, Toby Fox for making Undertale. Caputal G Gamers are fucking assholes and devs dont need that flak

| >>732108
so you SUBMIT to the assholes, they RULE what you post and what you don't, they DECIDE of what content is ok for you to push

OP THIS FAG'S MESSAGE IS THIS:

FEAR PUBLIC OPINION!
REGULATE YOUR SPEECH!
OBEY THE PACK!
AND DON'T STAND OUT!

| >>732111
Me: "Dont invite the abuse of assholes that will ignore your game for the drama"

You: "ALL CAPS I AM A DREE THINKER YOU ARE A SHEEPLE URRRRRRRRRGGGGGH"

lmao ok ????

| >>732108
It is. But I don't think it's a bad thing to choose not to oppose/fight sjw or smth

| >>732113
nice post, you've basically said nothing in it
>>732115
funny how that's what the Germans thought when the NSDAP started up

| i will oppose bullshit whereever i find it. looks like i don't have a thin skin like whoever lets themselves be bullied into submission. keep giving the bullies power, they'll just want more and more.

if you want to make enemies, try to change something

| lmfaoooo the delusions itt
these chinless keyboard culture warriors are fucking hilarious considering they are everything they project onto """sjws"""

"no do what we say for no reason other than to make a point fuck what your game is about or how you feel or how it is recieved do thing because if it pisses THEM off its good"

jesus christ lol

| why do you get so triggered when someone stands up for what they believe in?
>>732132
the spergs ITT that were triggurd by what i said were the first to bring SJW up. even then, yes SJW is cancer, or are you implying that it's not?

"no obey what the twitter retards say do not have an opinion the mob will dictate for yourself what it is you're allowed to think because you're meant to be weak and sheep-like"

'jesus christ lol'.

| get fucking real...

| lmfao holy fuck these free speech warriors are so fucking mad

leave it out just to spite them :)

| lmfao holy fuck these sjw censors are so fucking mad

leave it in just to spite them :)

| Irony^
"I dont care about sjws i never brought them up" *proceeds to specifically talk about them*

so yeah OP do what you want. Fuck what people say or their feelings, make a decisions based on how you want your game to be recieved. If that means leaving it in because that matters to you, do it. If it means leaving it out, do that.

love how these mfs literally proved they only care about spite and their made up smoothbrain politics and not your game or how you wanna release it

| If you condone what that content creator has done, then leave the reference in. If you don't like that thing they've done and don't want to support those things, then leave it out.

| >>732147
well apparently you're obsessed with then so yeah i'll talk about them too idiot

>literally proved they only care about spite
but that's exactly what i mean idiot! people should just say what they mean without giving a damn about crap like le peer pressure garbage! read my damn posts!
>>732148
what i'm saying. express your own damn opinion. dude.

| >>732155
"Make a difference fucks sjws wait no i mean do what you want"

transparent lol

| >>732165
this is getting stale, dude, stop being immature.

| >>732148

Pretty much this. Whatever you decide to do, be prepared for the consequences if any.

| Remove the easter egg, instead email said content creator a copy/key of the game. Say that this game inspired by them and thank them.

You can thank people in private, no need to make a public declaration and invite unecessary controversy. I am sure the person will be glad that they inspired someone to make a game regardless if it is made public or not.

If you really insist in making it public, then go thank them in the end game credit.

| The content creator is Cobanermani456, from what I know, he had mental issues and stalked someone who tried to help him. Before those events ocurred It was know he had depresion, but everyone could saw how he was trying to overcome it.

That was until he left the channel, based on what was said it looks like he gave up. I don't trust this claims too much as I have suffered from someone stalking me the same way he did.

| But I would never expose it the way it was done if I had tried to help him in the past. That will ruin the person's mind more. Unless I would want to ruin him.

But that's not the point sorry for going around the bush.
With the easter egg I wanted to reference the image, not the person behind it. I now see through this thread that wouldn't be important, as the image is the person for most people.

| I will delete it, but I'll try to make some posters of Mental Health Care, even though I have no ideas right now.

If I ever release my game,
>>732181 I'll try to email him a key personally and thanks him there, I will also do this for other Content creators and developers that were important at some point in my life if it's possible.

| I like OPs new approach of adding Mental health awareness. Paying it forward is way more rewarding

| In general, easter eggs are about other games or cultural references, things that are "frozen". Except if you want some David Cage's kind of easter eggs, I guess.

| >>732783
E M O S H U N S

| as a so-called anti-sjw yeller i recognize that it's OP's own damn decision. it's his work after all.

| Do what you want, but there are maybe more elegant ways to show your appreciation for what someone has done other than a poster of them. Be creative with it.

Eg.enjoys lovecraft, has unfortunate cat name and views but can take the best bits without signing up with the hate. Take a sentiment of theirs that has resonated with you and make it yours.

Don't keep it with a misguided principle of resisting cancel culture.

Art is blind, it's okay to kill your heroes n take their loot.

| >>732904 There isn't much to enjoy about lovecraft. His books, okay, but as a person he was quite crappy, and the books aren't part of him.

| >>732916
Plus he didnt even write the best stuff or popularise the Cthulhu mythos

| >>7f45c0 lil silly to think that his fear of amalgamation and general shittery didn't contribute to his writing.

Literal fish man. His person isn't something to like, but anybody can relate to disgust of the other or of the self.

Point being that you can still extract the best parts whilst acknowledging that it came from someone who was poopy.

| OP, you should consider why you want to put the easter egg in and whether or not that's the best way to do that. For instance, if it's to thank the youtuber, you might want to thank them directly and leave it out. You probably have multiple reasons that an easter egg would satisfy, but if you divide those reasons up you'll be able to better decide on whether that's the best method.

| Don't be a cuck and remove it.

| >>733028
Yeah lmfao I always thought Innsmouth was super ironic and wondered if it was unconscious projection

| I say as long as it's not paying homage to someone truly horrible, do as you please. If you really think it'll be a problem, remove it, but don't do it for other people. Do it for you and your game.

| >>732935
What best stuff? And who wrote it then?

| >>733853
stuff that delved more into the Cthulhu mythos as opposed to the singular "Call of Cthulhu" story Lovecraft wrote. It was August Derleth and guys like Tierney that later expanded that mythos and mkre importantly popularised it to what it is today.
Everyone knows Cthulhu but few would be able to pin down Nyarlathotep and Azazoth, or Yog-Sothoth or even Hastur. By popularising Cthulhu they create a gateway to the extended eldritch multiverse (oh fuck oh god)

| >>731756

| -------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------

Just in case new readers skipped my conclusion, here it is >>732344

Thanks for answering and keeping discussing.

Total number of posts: 71, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1611833334

This thread is permanently archived