danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Y'all ever think about how weird our genres are?

| Like, we can see a game labeled "metroidvania" or "roguelike" or "shoot-em-up" and immediately know what those words mean.

Imagine someone who only have a passing understanding of gaming looking at those tags. "Soulslike? So is it like... poetry?"

| I guess it's kinda annoying having to re-explain what a genre mean to a fps/rpg game playing only friends everytime i talk about it.

| And then you have shit like roguelike, roguelite, or rouglite-like that even fans of the genre find confusing

| Ah roguelite-like, or TeKe, for short... Wait what?

| Well, for terms like Soulslike and Roguelike, it's when we compare it to a particular game. In those cases, it's the games Dark Souls and Rogue.

Metroidvania I find to be a much stranger term. I know it refers to Metroid and Castlevania, but there's already a term that's literal and makes more sense to label: search-action games. Theyre simply action games where you search for tools, upgrades, especially while backtracking maps.

| >>729763
>search-action games
Hmmm, not as catchy. And anyway, metroidvania is also defined by 2D interconnected rooms in a single map (as opposed to separate levels). Never really thought of it as a game where you search for tools either. The tools are just the means for map traversal, which is where the fun is.

It's a fun term with a lot of things packed in it. I find it fascinating that specific terms like that can arise.

| >>729763
And I feel roguelike as a genre has transcended its Rogue base too. It's a collection of mechanics containing permadeath, randomly generated levels, and expectation that you'll die often and start over often. Rogue is a dungeon-crawling roguelike.

| J-rpg are getting bigger and bigger yet people dont know what they mean by it

Fps has always been confused with tps

| Honestly I don't like roguelike and metroidvania genres to describe other games. Seems dismissive and heavily belittles new games.

| It's not really weird tbh it's vernacular, jargon. If you never heard of tennis and someone said "oh man I destroyed 40-love" you'd probably wonder wtf they meant

I do see what you mean tho the evolution of language is v interesting

| >>729780
What do you g/u/rls think of the term "JRPG"? It's a weird one.
Personally, I hate how some people use it to encompass every rpg made in Japan, even if that is the literally phrasing. You wouldn't call Dark Souls a JRPG. If you do, what's wrong with you? It doesn't deserve to be its own unique tag if that's the case.

For me it's any game that a emulates the style of old DQ or FF games. It's gotta be turn based

The term itself is archaic anyway

| >>729910 cant say I disagree

| >>729910
Oh my god I could literally write a whole thesis on JRPG. There's a lot that defines it: how it's about specific characters instead of player-as-character, how it's thematically about a group banding together instead of a single person, a lot, but it is a specific thing.

And it absolutely does not have to be turn-based! Tales of games are extremely JRPG and they're all action-based!

| >>729972
Yep. Thats why "turnbased" and "action" rpgs are separate. To me a jrpg is literally an rpg made in Japan first and foremost. That they have many similar tropes is a reflection of that culture. The mechanics themselves are not dissimilar from any western tabletop rpgs after all. I would argue it comes down to a question of whether these games follow the mechanics of statistical growth and attack values, whether fixed or rng based.

| Players that are new can just go and watch some youtube vidoes explaining the difference between sub-genre that they don't know. They don't need an in depth knowledge, because they'll learn it as they play more games. You gurls are making it too big of a deal.

| For a second I read the subject as 'genes' not 'genres' and was very confused.

| >>730009
>they'll learn it as they play more games
Well yes, video game genres have meanings not immediately apparent from the name... that's... the whole point of this thread...

Total number of posts: 17, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1610528032

This thread is permanently archived