danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
To the game devs and aspiring game devs of /v/:

| Why?
Like, damn. Games are cool and all but is there a single game dev in the world who doesn't need a therapist and probably so substances to cope with the work they do?
Like, shit bro. Seeing your ideas come to life is sick, I've done it before, but making big and proper games and shit? Seems like absolute hell bro.
And if you make a hit as an indie dev then sick! But also, is it really worth it? That shit's gonna be your entire life my guy. Like, damn, respect, but also, why?

| Most games are crap made out in 15 minutes out of a copied concept.
Others can be considered a form of art.

And I don't see you say the same about people who spend their life drawing or making music.

| Been developing a project for 3 years now, personal life, studies and work makes it a little harder to reach sometime to develop, and overall pressure to myself and lately some thoughs on "maybe what I'm doing is a thing only I would enjoy and no one else". But I never forgot Why: Because I want someone in the world, maybe just 1 person to have a game he/she won't forget and will help as lot of games has helped me. It's a thanks letter.

| >>718754
This thread was meant half jokingly, and I never said it doesn't apply to those things as well. It does. It does so in a slightly different way, but it still does.

>>718759
Damn. I wasn't expecting such genuine answers. This was meant as kind of a meme about how every single game dev is depressed as fuck and hates being a game dev while also loving it at the same time.

I do know why. As I said above I've done it myself and I also work with other forms of art as well.

| Haha yeah, people are crazy, and I don't mean just gamedevs. Some of us are willing to throw everything into That One Thing, be it gamedev or art project or academia or whatever. I guess it's a human thing.

I'm still figuring things out, but mad respect for all those people.

| >>718782
Yeah, for real. Nothing but respect for it though, even though it can be pretty self-destructive and pure insanity at times. An example being Endesga. The guy insisted on making his extremely ambitious game all by himself, and the crazy motherfucker has almost completely finished it now, but it had cost him almost 10 years of his life and his mental health.

Craziest part is that there are more devs like him and devs who see that and think I'm gonna do the same. Insanity.

| The same can probably be said of every other form of art, OP. Whether it be martial arts or writing novels or directing films.

You generally need to have some kind of drive beyond monetary gain to force yourself into these industries- there are easier ways to make money.

| >>718759

If even only one person in the world enjoys what you make, who cares it doesn't become popular? As long as you feel fulfilled for having done it, its all worth it.

| >>719038

See >>718766

I didn't mean for this to be a serious thread.

| >asks a serious and personal question
"I didn't mean for this these to be serious"
>tfw

| >>719069
Done in a joking manner and about a profession I've been in myself. Not blaming y'all for answering seriously, but I meant to bring up the topic while, you know, also making light of it in a way. Not this somber, hyper serious shit. That make it too real.

| >>719079 well you did bring up substance abuse and therapy on the very first post.

| >>719083
Yeah, I did. Two things I often joke about because, well, I struggle with some substance abuse and I go to therapy myself. Making light of it is a way for me to cope with it, but I do understand how people might not get that.

Total number of posts: 13, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1606466892

This thread is permanently archived