danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Super Mario Sunshine

| I've been playing through it properly for the first time the last few days, and it's a really fun game.

I never finished it on GameCube because I borrowed it from someone for a short time and was dumb little kiddie, but now that I'm older and playing it properly it's been super fun. Haven't really enjoyed single player games in a while, but it's just chill game with really fun and solid mechanics.

Do you g/u/rls like it as well?

(Also no spoilers please I'm not finished.)

| I love super mario sunshine. Definitely one of the most frustrating mario games, as some of the shines are infuriating but that's what I like and I wish more mario games made me mad.

| I know is not a game for everyone, but it should be a game for everyones who loves to play platform games and collectatons and challenges. Mario Odyssey needed to learn more from past Mario games.

| >>718591
You think so? Personally I find Odyssey to be, like, a perfect mix of the older ones. It has the whole 64 thing where you can get almost all the stars/moons in a level without needing a mission for it. The world's are filled to the brim with stuff to do, both easier challenges and difficult ones, the core mechanics are extremely smooth unlike the water spraying and stuff in Sunshine etc.

I love all the games and Sunshine is super fun, but Odyssey is top tier stuff.

| >>718604 I would say so because the controls and physics are cool , but it's not as challenging and rewarding, in older Mario games it was rewarding to beat a level in an unintended way, but in Odyssey you feel the game was designed for that, there is either a "pro" path and a noob path, doesn't feel like alternatives paths. Idk that and that collecting moons feels so unnecesary and you can either earn one thourgh a challenge or skip it by talking to an NPC...

| There is no amount of Moons worth enough for 1 Star of Sm64 or Galaxy or Shine

| >>718609
I kind of understand what you mean, but I also sort of disagree. What you're talking about is essentially not feeling "smart" if I understand correctly, right? In older games the fast, cool and slightly more challenging parts aren't as obvious and sometimes might not be intended at all, while Odyssey in a way feels more cohesively and intentionally designed like that, yeah? Because I do agree with the former being fun and feeling very cool but I wouldn't put it above.

| When it comes to moons feeling unnecessary, I understand why you feel that way, but it's not really much different from the older ones, is it? The older ones have lot's of optional stars/shines as well. Only, like, half of them are usually necessary to beat the game.

In a way it's sort of incomparable though. Odyssey is basically tons of slightly shorter challenges but it has way more of them of varying skill levels while the old ones have longer ones that are either easy or hard.

| I like both, but I feel like what Odyssey did and what it kept and what it changed was the right way to go for the series and I enjoy it a lot.

| >>718623 while is true half stars where optional, it's not the same. Each star represents a challenge, a puzzle and though on it. In Galaxy every star has its own level layout, and the only layouts that repeats are for challenges to do it faster or damageless.
In Odyssey there are 880 moons while you only need 124 (far from half) of them to beat the game, but in reality there are more than 1000 as you can buy them with no effort. And there is literally a moon in every corner.

| Sunshine does it showing a story progression in a level (regular sprites), also rewards the player with his exploration (there are A LOT of blue coins) and also rewards him with unique optional minigames (secret stars).
SM64 doesn't have exclusive stars (a few exceptions like bosses and races) and you can get them in any order really. It treats stars as a way to score the player if he wants to (with a final spoiler reward) or simply beat challenges in exchange to beat the game.

| >>718641 >>718644
Everything you're saying is correct, and I don't see any problem with any of those ways of doing it. I don't see how one is superior to another. I just personally really like how Odyssey does it and think it was a good direction to take it in. Is there something wrong with that?

| >>718672 With Odyssey, the devs are basically telling buy they game, but do what you want because it's pointless either way. You are saying is a good direction as to abandone completelty the point of Mario games, to beat challenges. I'm not saying the old way was better, but what I'm saying is when you are playing Sunshine, Galaxy, 64, New, 3D Land/World you are playing Mario. But when you play Mario Odyssey you are playing Mario Odyssey. If that's the future, it won't be Mario.

| >>718681
Wow. Really? A game with a bunch of points to collect that doesn't give you anything real or necessarily progresses the plot? Shit. I've never seen that anywhere else.

Homie. We just have different tastes. I really like Mario Odyssey and find the gameplay and challenges in it to be really fun and just the right amount of challenge for me personally. I'm not saying that you have to like it. I'm just saying that I personally enjoy it.

Now let's get back to Sunshine, yeah?

| I've never played Sunshine nor Odyssey, but prefer longer, more challenging levels. I also like levels that are like a whole small world to explore. It is, as they say, a matter of taste. In one taste, one is superior. In another, the other is. In another other, neither is. Some might even think both suck, not that they'd be in this thread. Of course, there's no reason to be a jerk about it being a matter of taste.

| >>719204
Mhm. Exactly. Both are great, but in different ways. It's a matter of taste.

Total number of posts: 16, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1606509066

This thread is permanently archived