danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Why do stick presses exist

| It's awful. the stick is for wiggling, not clicking. Why can't they just add a separate button if they need more, or at least make the stick actually feel good to press because they are very stiff and they suck.

| ^^^ Marry me because none of the smooth brains around me get this either.

| Why not have an extra button where your thumbs are most of the time? It's a lot faster than moving it to a different place on the controller.

| By accesibility, is a fast way of having a button associated to movement or camera, at least it was before, nowadays developers bind anything to those buttons, like targeting in Dark Souls, like wtf (its camera related but it's so uncomfy during battles) but its true some devs use them as additional menus (for games with multiple menus/pause screens) which is valid, but it should never be bind to something you have to use A LOT while playing.

| This issue is why I hate some games on Vita, cause they bind them to the touch screen or back pad, in Metal Gear it's the WORST to change between weapons because you have to do so almost all the time.

More buttons would make the players to get really confused like they used to be, there were 6 buttons because Sega though it was a good idea, but 5 of those buttons did the same function. But who knows maybe they were ahead of its time and that's what we need now.

| >>6c5512 ah someone gets it, while i dont like stick presses they are way more convenient than puting another button on a console

| This this this. It always feel uncomfortable when I click the analog stick, like I might break it, like it's never built for pressing.

| I always liked clicking them inwards, but that might be because I use the dpad for movement controls most of the time, so it feels like a secondary part.

| Jesus Christ, I've always thought it was just me feeling a bit strange about these! Nice to see so many stick presses haters over here

| I always feel like I'm damaging the joystick when I do it, like....I prefer not having to use em.

| I genuinely have never thought anyone would dislike pressing the sticks and I am very confused

| I enjoy pressing the sticks. I've never felt any problems with it. Though in excessive use it can be uncomfortable but as long as you aren't pressing it over and over in quick succession I think the stick press is a smart idea. Again this varies but from my experience its become natural.

| Out of curiousity, does anyone know when this terrible trend of analog stick-pressing started? I was a kb+m/handheld-only g/u/rl since midway in the PS2 generation and when I started having to press the stick on the Switch I was very confused.

| Don't believe gamecube had them, so ps2 I think

| I really liked having the pivot 180° in mirror's edge bound to right stick in. Other than that, it just seems kinda useless.

| I don't see the problem and I think it's honestly pretty convenient. By thumbs are going to be on the sticks a majority of the time, so why not use add convenient things to them? Sure, some developers use stick presses poorly, but I think they are overall good.

This gurl >>699081 complained about the targeting in DS being a stick press, but I feel like it's extremely convenient to have the camera related button be on the camera related stick.

| >>700393
I dunno, but if my brain is wired to think my thumb should be twisting the stick around, changing it to think it can press the stick feels very weird.

| >>700404
Is your brain incapable of both moving something around AND occasionally pressing down on it? I feel that, like, I feel like that shouldn't be problem. Your brain should adapt very quickly to that. Especially considering the amount of games that have stick presses nowadays.

Do you usually play games on PC or don't play games very often/much? Because then it would make a lot of sense.

| >>700425
I'm the same g/u/rl as >>951f18! "A kb+m/handheld-only g/u/rl since midway in the PS2 gen" so yes it might just be that I'm not used to it. The fact that stick pressing feels physically uncomfortable is derinitely not helping.

Then again lots of people here don't like it either, so it might not just be me!

| >>700441 >>700425 I mean, Nintendo players didn't have to worry about it until 2017 (I think Wii U had then but never used them and not much people bought it anyways), portable console players never had them and true PC players didn't have to use them until almost all companies made controllers mandatory and most PC games don't require button press anyways except for console ports.

| So there is a great majority of players who doesn't had to get used to button press yet, also there is a percentage of people who don't even know stick pressing is a thing at all.

| didn't have* nice English lol

| >>699081
I bet you played ds with dual shock

| >>700454 I beated the whole Dark Souls III with mouse and keyboard (for me, the best way to play it, but as I'm saying, for me). And Dark Souls I I haven't beaten it yet but I have been playing it with the Switch's Pro Controller but I don't understand why of your comment, I find the stick press identical as XbOne Controller's if you are refering to that.

| >>700457 >>700454 if its towards the targeting, yeah, you can rebind it, but by default it's unconfy to press it almost all the time for targetting, maybe it's just me because I'm used to target/reset the camera with ZL/ZR, LT/RT or bumper buttons in majority of games I have played. Still not getting the dual shock thing lol

| So, seems like I was right. The people who dislike it seem to be people who haven't gotten used to it or don't play much on consoles or at least not on consoles that have it.

I've mainly played on PS4 and Switch the last few years, and as someone who has gotten used to it I think it's really convenient when used correctly. Like in BotW for example, where the stick press is for something camera related and not often used, and in DS where it's related to moving the camera.

| >>700474 as someone who has played also Botw, you are missing the left stick, used to crouch, which if used often leads to some unprecise movement or having to stop totally in order to press it which is unconvinient in most situations, and one of the reasons SpeedRunners where so glad button remapping was being added. In DS targeting might be an issue because certain drift may happen and so you change of target, become nervious and die as many streamers have lived.

| Another bad example is GTA 5, stick buttons are used for abilities, already leading to unprecisse control or the car's horn which is horrible to spam.
Shooters tend to bind zoom in/out in sticks and unless you are camping to fix it, your aim won't be good as good.
But then there are games that bind menus, scan modes or swap modes which use stick pressing right without causing troubles to a player in the middle of action.

| >>700463
I think dualshock R3 L3 are fucking awful. I played Dark Souls with a xbox controller and it was great but when I switched to dualshock 3 I hated to lock on targets with R3. That's why I made this assumption

| >>700496
Really? I've never had problems with the crouching either. Do I just have a really good controller or something?

| >>700504 interesting thought, I only ever play on PS.

I mostly hate it because it felt different than the rest of the face buttons. And I'm also biased because of the same reason as >>699449 I mean, the analog stick is already not the most durable part of every controller, and controllers are expensive. I'm fine with using it for resetting camera since it's basically treated like the option/start button, but it felt weird assigning fast paced actions like melee attack in Doom.

| >>700558
Wait... Doom uses the stick press... as melee attack button...?

Euggghhhh

| Sticks break but I've literally never heard of a stick breaking from pressing ls/l3 controllers are a tool and are going to wear out anyway you're not prolonging it's life by not clicking a button

Usually when a joystick dies it's a slow death of not centering properly getting more and more drift until the dead zone setting can't save you, by moving the sick you're doing more damage than you ever could by clicking it

| Idk, to me clicking in the button feels really good, I sometimes just click them in even when it has no use

| Not to mention they tend to wear down the analog after a while

| I've never played on a console, but I like using a gamepad for games that were ported to PC. I've never had any trouble with stick presses, but that might just be because I have a third party controller. Because of that, I can do the stick press without changing the direction the stick is pointing, which sounds like it might be harder on other controllers

| >>700593
Basically all FPS games on console uses stick press for melee attacks.

| >>700750
Yikes yikes yikes yikes. I've never got the hang of first-person game on gamepad, I guess I'll never do now.

| >>700754 I remember some shooter having it in a button, at least in my memories of PSP, DS and Wii Classic Controller (none had stick pressing) on the West or North button (Square/Y, Triangle/X) I might be wrong and in the DS was the touch screen but it's like I have muscle memory of some game that does this. Golden Eye Remake or any COD in that era probably.

| >>700793
I, don't think PSP, DS or Wii has stick presses at all, so that would make sense.

>>700754
It really is just something you get used to. Like, after playing a few FPS games on console it feels natural.

| >>700850 I meant on a button, not on a stick, of course these tiny consoles wouldn't have these (Ds doesn't even have a stick to beging with) and there is no Wii controller with stick button (excluding Wii U)

Total number of posts: 41, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1601331192

This thread is permanently archived