danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
is nintendo switch worth $600?

| so the thing is i live in eastern europe and wanted to get a switch for my bday, but after the quarantine hit the prices skyrocketed and this is the cheapest i can get a new switch for

there's also an option to either get a lite for around $350 or a used one for around $300, but that one is the first revision and i wanted an updated regular one

| The first revision is fiiiine. The slightly shorter battery life hasn't bothered me before (and has been no problem at all since I got stuck at home).

If the old version's there for 300 usd I have no idea why you'd pay double that.

| >>668901
well it is also used... and i heard that joycon drift was a big problem with the first revision, among some other things.
paying double the amount sure sucks though

| Nah mate just keep waiting
I literally was searching like crazy for a switch in the beginning of march and I couldn't find anything and the ones that people was selling on Amazon was stupidly expensive, but I looked again on Amazon a few days ago and apparently they have switches again at 300£

| >>668903
It is, kinda, but it should be fine. If it's not, like, completely fucked then you should go for that, or do like >>668939 says and wait or buy online (though shipping is kinda fucked right now).

I have a friend who bought a Switch Lite today, and, well, don't go that route. I mostly play with my Switch hooked up set up on a table with the controllers shared to my friends to play Smash. So go for an OG one if you don't want to wait. Lite ain't worth it.

| >>668939
the cheapest i've seen on amazon today was around $450 i think???
still pretty expensive, plus i'm not sure if those are first or second revision, nor if those are new or used
and the delivery from amazon will cost an arm and a leg here i bet

| >>668943
yeah i dunno i think i'll maybe wait... though waiting is what got me in this situation in the first place, should've just bought one pre-quarantine.
i don't really have that many irl friends or a tv so i was kinda thinking of going for lite after all, but docking even every once in a while with my pc monitor is still tempting.

| >>668945
Yeah, docking is nice. Even when I don't play with friends I prefer docking it, because, like, idk. I just feels a lot comfier sitting on the couch or something with a bigger screen, and I like being able to use controllers that aren't shit and that don't hurt my fingers after 5 minutes.

| >>668952
> being able to use controllers that aren't shit and that don't hurt my fingers after 5 minutes
oof that's a big mood after ds/3ds. are regular joycons this bad?

| You should wait till you find the Switch for its actual retail price or less. Half of that money could be used for games instead, especially the digital ones that go on sale.

| >>668966
They're not as bad as DS, but, I personally dislike them a lot. Like, I legit got tendonitis for months once because I got addicted to Stardew Valley in handheld mode. I also just have a problem with my hands in general. They hurt a lot from playing games and similar, but when playing with a Pro controller or GC controller it takes 10 times longer before it hurts. Joy-Cons are, like, fuck. Some of my friends prefer them over Pro, but they are fucking insane.

| >>668984
for retail price or less my best bet is a used one in questionable condition, and even then it would probably cost more than retail price. it's always been overpriced as heck in my region. i will keep an eye out though

>>668994
damn, that's sounds rough. hope your hands are doing better now. as for me though, if it's at least better than ds, i should be fine i think. i usually only play in rather short bursts too.

| I think switch is not worth 600usd, even if it's the price in your region...
If you can shell out the money without foreseeable tragic consequences on your finances, then it's your call.
I still want to believe I wouldn't buy a switch for 600.
Maybe in your shoes I'd break the bank, but I can't be sure either.

Your call, but please wait if you can
<3

| >>669004
They are, like, kinda better. They still hurt if I play often, which I do sometimes, but it's all good.

Ah, yeah. Well, I still recommend a regular one. On Lite you can't just buy a Pro controller if you don't like the controls, and you can't take them off and play docked, but, if you don't care about those features, I guess you could go for it? Still sounds best to wait though.

| No it's not. If you have a pic use that money to get better parts or something

| >>668966 the joycons are fine for me. I enjoyed playing mario odyssey on it and for games where you hold a button to run it does get annoying (it left a mark on my thumb after a while) but its about as good as you can get for a controller with tiny buttons.

>>668903 I dont think they ever fixed the joycon, so the new revision wont give you better ones. and it's probably cheaper to get used one and a pair of new joycons rather than double the price from purely economic perspective.

| better* from purely economic perspective. I can understand why you don't want a used product though

| >>669039
Or a Pro controller which is cheaper and more comfortable and doesn't give you live long muscle pains. Fuck Joy-Cons.

| >>669070
well I prefer portable. I use a dualshock 4 to play on tv though, and the buttons are 1000% more comfortable but the triggers are less responsive due to being analogue.

| found a guy in my country (in another city though) selling a new switch with zelda botw and mario odyssey for around $300
honestly seems kinda sketch, but the box looks sealed in the photos
i will be able to check it out in the post office, but if the box is sealed i won't be allowed to open it
i doubt the seller would tamper with it and then reseal the box somehow?????? but the low-ish price is at least a bit suspect

| >>669110
New with both BotW and Mario Odyssey included in that price? That's VERY sketchy.

| >>669157
it is, but
the console itself seems to be sealed (looks like it in photos from different angles and the seller claims so)
and i only pay for it after i open the package and check it out (just not the console itself if it is indeed still factory sealed)
there's been a couple offers on the online flea market in the past couple of days from different people/places for about the same price, but used or without games
what are some possible pitfalls i should look out for?

| >>669162
Well, one thing is that there's been a lot of people who say that their Switch includes "X" game and "Y" and whatever, but it's only digitally, on their account. So it's technically true, but you can't access them. If the games are physical and the Switch is actually sealed, then it shouldn't be a problem, but that price would be kind of suspicious. Not impossible though! Someone in my country sold Switch with BotW for, like, $200.

| >>669173
oh yeah the games are physical
i have been racking my brain all day trying to figure out what could go wrong with a sealed switch, like maybe it was handled roughly during delivery and it is all broken inside the box, or maybe it was tampered with somehow and then the box was resealed
though i guess it would be possible to notice the latter
kinda sucks that it is not allowed to open the sealed box at the post office until you pay for it, but it is understandable

| Big thread, no probably not worth $600

Joycon drift affects every joycon including the lite equally

If you are willing to wait you can 100% find new ones you just need to watch friend of mine bought a lite a week ago

Original vs new is just slightly cooler and less battery usage, if you get a really early one there's a hardware vuln you can use to install cfw or run Android, patched, new & lite need a soldered on chip

| >>669206 joycon drift will be fixed by Nintendo free in most good countries, if not in yours move :p

| >>669206
yeah i will either go for that sketchy 300 one or wait more
do not care too much about cfw, would rather have one that is cooler, with more battery life and normal joycon connectivity out of the box

>>669207
drift sucks, got no official nintendo representation here at all (so no free warranty fixes and not even regional eshop prices here), but moving is not an option unfortunately, at least for now

| >>669207 you can't move during the quarantine. silly anon

| okay so i placed an order for that sketchy $300 switch
the seller has not been online for 36 hours though
methinks he just sold the switch elsewhere, so that probably sucks
and the "backup" one that was slightly more expensive, used (barely) and without games has been sold too, in less than a day

| >>669380
yep he straight up removed the listing without confirming my order so i guess that is a no
another listing appeared for $320 slightly used (looks very fresh on photos though, basically new) but without any games, i will try to order that one now

| Don't feel bad, op. You might have dodged a bullet. Good luck on your Switch hunt.

| >>669494
thanks girl! i think you are right.
the other seller has confirmed my order already
i am a bit disappointed though that this one is used, more expensive and without any games
i will have to get by with demos or cheap indies for a month or so before i save up enough for botw now
but this is still the best offer out there
will get the switch on monday or maybe tuesday, if everything goes well
a bit scared to order from another city though, because of corona.

| *gurl
damn autocorrect

| >>669498
nope that one turned out to be a straight up scammer! thankfully i know my way around the interwebz (somewhat) and know a sketchy link to a fake domain when i see one
so the hunt continues

| >>669639
Good luck homie.

| Follow @wario64 on twitter
He has been posting every time a store has a switch restock
Just be patient

| >>669646
thanks! i sure seem to need it so far

>>669655
from what i've seen it's mostly amazon stuff? the shipping would cost an arm and a leg here, plus i am not so sure about how warranty would work
but thanks anyway, guess i will follow him for now just in case

| >>669668
He'll do amazon, best buy, target, walmart, gamestop, etc
Definitely depends on where you live though for if you can get decent shipping prices

| >>669913
well as i said in the op i hail from eastern europe, and not the most developed part of it to boot
so shipping gets a bit ridiculous, like on amazon i have seen a switch for $400 or so but then there was also $150 shipping on top
so i guess i will keep looking for now

there is a new switch for around $320-330 in an official store in a neighboring country where some of my relatives live, maybe i can get them to order it and bring it with them when they come over for visit

| 600?

Might as well get a GPD Win 2. It's a bit pricier than 600 but it's basically a gaming Windows laptop the size of a 3DS XL.

If you really want a switch, just wait.

| Oof. Busy chat.
Nah. Switch ain't worth 600. Its good but not half a grand good. If you really want buy some older game console. And a bunch of classics for that price.
Or just invest in parts for a decent rig for half that price so you can emulate like 30 years of gaming instead.

| >>670166 >>670178
yeah to be honest i kind of figured it is not worth that much
i do have a decent pc already and some older consoles, but i want to play some switch exclusives as well
guess there is not rush though so i will just keep an eye out for a cheaper one for now

| mostly i am just frustrated because the price that is double the switches msrp is ridiculous, and it is not even in stock in most places.
though i have heard that the latter is a worldwide issue pretty much

| Nintendo consoles are for babies and if there’s some dumb exclusive you want, there’s probably a better version of it on ps4

| >>670212
sure pal, get your low-quality bait out of here

| >>670213 name a game that doesn’t have a better version on ps4

| >>670254
breath of the wild (horizon zero dawn does not count, it is coming out on pc)
mario odyssey
fire emblem three houses
astral chain
super smash bros
cadence of hyrule
monster hunter generations (world might be better in some ways but i miss the old monhun)

although to be honest i do not believe in notion of there being better versions at all, all games are different

oh and good luck playing any of your precious ps4 games outside, in commute or just in a park somewhere

| I don’t play games outside bc I’m not a fucking loser lmao

| >>670274
honestly you are really missing out homie
it can be very relaxing

| Why do people always take bait and ruin perfectly good threads? This thread isn't even mine and it's upsetting.

| >>f4f478 Yeah it's a great console but considering how pricey games already are, it's not worth it to go for such a high price. There's rumors about how the Switch is going to have a more regulated and balanced stock again very soon, so it shouldn't be too long at least before you can get one.

| >>670373
oh come one, some minor distraction like that is not going to ruin anything, i am having probably even more fun if anything

>>670441
yeah i can definitely agree that the price is too high. but i doubt it is ever going to drop much (if at all) where i live. the prices here only rise all the time. but maybe i will be able to get one from over the border where it is cheaper

| >>670445
teasing strangers aren't that fun. they probably don't even care about your opinion.

| >>670468
i do not mind them too much, to be honest
sure, trolling does get pretty annoying sometimes, but it has been pretty mild in here so far
plus they gave me an opportunity to talk about the games i am looking forward to playing whenever i do get a switch eventually

Total number of posts: 54, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1592385900

This thread is permanently archived