danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Your take on piracy?

| Title. Piracy as an act - let's not consider ISP's warnings and other regional differences. From my point of view - there's nothing particularly bad if you do it from time to time. Especially if you are stealing some expensive art-creation tool.

| Piracy is a crime. However, it's a crime that does not necessarily hurt anyone if the pirate in question wasn't going to buy the app or the media piece anyway.

| If it's piracy on big media, or any kind of cheap mass entertainment, it's ok, they probably get more selling funkos

If it's piracy on small or independent media (indie movies, games,books), which is still actively on sale and not abandoned, it actually hurts

If it's piracy on any kind of old or abandoned media on which its makers do not rely on it anymore, it's ok

If the one pirating does not have the means to purchase it, (no money or access), culture it's a human right so...

| If it's on epic, it means you're free to pirate it. I also pirate if the music or video I want to listen / watch is region locked preventing me from enjoying it legal way. If they don't want my money they won't have it.

| I pirate because the question is not "do i pirate this or buy", the question for me often is "do i experience this by piracy or not at all".
Also people often forget how the usa were pirating books, tech and knowledge in the 18th century.

| Region locked stuff, anything without regional pricing, when you're from a poorer country, is a-okay to be pirated imo.

| Also i mostly pirate old books, whose authors died long ago, or obscure media translated by enthusiasts, so it doesn't hurt much to anybody.

| for games, anything that is out of print, or can't be bought new.

region locked stuff or unlicensed in region.

getting EXPENSIVE AS FUCK software for personal and non-commercial use.

don't pirate indie pls ;_;

i buy anime bluray. i'm so glad it's not as expensive as in japan.

| I only consider it piracy if the product you're "pirating" is still available in an obtainable form and still costs money.

I used to pirate more when I was still a broke college student, but I rarely do so anymore as an adult with a job and liquid income. To me, pirating indie games is actually pretty immoral, since indie devs aren't able to tank the loss as well as AAA publishers- or at all, really.

I don't think torrenting out of print media or using roms of old games constitutes pirating, though, and it shouldn't be punished either.

| >>668645
Piracy increases the sales of media(probably because of free exposure).

When the EU tasked themselves to write a report about how piracy hurts sales using scientific consensus as a base they found out that piracy in general increases sales and thus refused the rapport because it didn't prove what they wanted it to prove.

It was a fucking fiasco.

| >>668705
Yeah. There were times when I pirated a game or some music that I wouldn't even think to buy and then went to buy it after playing it/listening to it to support the creators because I enjoyed it so much.

| In words that Andrew Jackson might have said...
The Supreme Court has made its decision,
>Now let them enforce it.

The legislative and judicial branches can say whatever they want, but if no cop knocks down little Jimmy's door, nor is he publicly shamed a la chinese, then it's just a "crime" the executive can't bother with.

In the long run, the industry has more to win from piracy than laws. Ideas come from other ideas, but access to them comes from money or a grey heart.

| Gonna add that piracy is probably the only reason why so many old media can be preserved. It also diminishes the shitty effects of DRM: no matter where I buy an ebook or game, I can still grab the pirated copy if I need to jump ship to another platform or if the distributor burns.

I have full respect for people who uploads , cracks, facilitates pirated copies. But I also think their work should be circulated quietly.

| I'm part of a disc reservation project called redump and we always dump directly from the original physical media.

A lot of us share the stuff we dump on various p2p networks not affiliated with the project, but we don't deal with cracks or removing DRM or anything like that. We're very anal about making that 1:1 copy.

Since I share what I dump it's technically piracy but I only share stuff that isn't sold or available anymore.

| >>668768
You're a hero, g/u/rl.

| I buy light novels, manga, dvds for various weeb purposes, and also merchandising related to various series

Yknow why I dont hesitate not buying? Bc i pirated pdfs and mp4s of em and fucking enjoyed that shit

It's just like how the people before me said, sometimes ppl got no cash and cant buy shit.

Fuck, its comparable to torrenting : leech that shit but make sure to seed too

Incase ur braindead, that means support what you pirated when you already can

| my honest take on it is that piracy is okay as long as the publisher never plan to release the product officially in your region, but that's probably not "relatable" for US consumers who get every product ever released (not really, but at least 100x more than we ever get in south east asia). here's more relatable take: it's ok if they don't release it in your preferred medium, the official localization was shitty, or you don't trust the publisher to never fuck up their DRM scheme.

| I pirate anything I can't get in my country and we'll some games in order to test them out.

| I pirate everything but when I liked it I buy it afterwards.
I just hate spending money so this is a bad habit of mine...

| Piracy has a positive effect on sales overall.
Publishers don't like piracy because they see it as "stolen money" and that's why they pushed government to create anti-piracy laws, but it's all a bunch of stupid nonsense

| >>7d0376 if you pirate and enjoyed product you'll likely buy it and its next release.

Total number of posts: 21, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1591994848

This thread is permanently archived