danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
has graphics technology peaked?

| we've reached a point where the next generation of consoles' best feature is LOAD TIMES. meanwhile ray tracing has been nvidia's scheme to rule the graphics card market and could be replicated easily with well crafted shaders. the only other thing left is 4K.. anyone who owns a 4K tv please raise your hand.

| idk man for me graphics already peaked back in the snes era

| idk man for me graphics already peaked back in the snes era

| I'd say it started peaking and having significantly diminishing returns around the mid 2000s when they could model a curve and it actually looked smooth.

| >>651693
You can't replicate RTX technology with well crafted shaders and not have your performance grind to a halt. The old way of rendering mirror images is to simply render the entire scene again. If you have more than one mirror image in the same scene it quickly becomes too performance heavy.

Remember that RTX technology is still in its infant stage and as far as I know only one game makes full use of it today and that's Control.

| I don't think graphics technology has peaked and probably won't for quite a while. It does however become harder and harder to notice. Doubling the polygon count can only do so much.

It's also harder to notice the advancements at first glance considering the precomputed lighting which used to be the norm can look really good. It largely got replaced with real-time rendered lighting which in a still image or a static scene looks pretty much the same. But in an interactive scene-

| >>df8908
cont.

-in an interactive scene you'll notice the difference when the lights and their reflections can be manipulated.

Global illumination is also a fairly newish technique that attempts to calculate the bouncing of light off of objects onto other objects.

The graphics technology is advancing. It's just less noticable at first glance.

| Graphics peaked at Crysis for me ;_;
Rip computer

| Graphics will keep going until you can't tell the difference between cg and real life in movies and probably beyond don't fool yourself into thinking the industry is standing still

| >>651738 if we're talking about technicalities, sure it hasn't peaked until it matches human vision and beyond. but I'm talking about practicality, and as you said, most consumer won't notice the difference and technology doesn't simply advance for niche market. and yes, mirrors are practically the only unique use of RTX that shaders can't match. every RTX demo I saw likes to feature lots of mirror, reflective metals, water surface, and glasses as if trying to get the point across.

| >>651838
I'm not sure what you mean by practicality stagnation, but there's more to RTX than just mirrors. Those well crafted shaders you're talking about is extremely resource heavy in comparison to an RTX chip. There's a few more examples in Control but I guess pointing them out doesn't matter.

I think the problem is that few games use these advancements in interesting ways or to make a unique art style. Most games look the same because they're designed that way.

| Visually, yeah I think we did peak. But as far as performance goes, we've got a ways to go. Consoles still haven't made 60fps the norm, despite some games allowing the option between framerate and resolution.

| >>651851
I program shaders and have some experience with rendering so I know what you mean (assuming you meant human "resource"), but I still think that from the consumer perspective it doesn't really matter. And let me tell you what, I'm SUPER excited for RTX when I hear the news due to the aforementioned reason, but it's more because amazing graphics is gonna be more accessible to smaller devs. Games that already look good now isn't going to look much better.

| Remember that magazines used to say that DOOM looked lifelike

| >>651784
This.
I don't understand why modern games need more powerful hardware if they look worse than crysis.

| That is not because we reached peak of technology but the greed and laziness of majority of the companies. The gaming industry and entertainment in general needs a major crash

| VR still has a long way to go. Plus, many games use renders for cutscenes which look visually better than the main gameplay, so there is still ways to go there to make renders obsolete.

| I love Graphs.

Total number of posts: 18, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1588882783

This thread is permanently archived