danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
let's plays need to be stopped

| can we bring back actually playing the games please? and for that matter, can we bring back having friends instead of watching a popular stranger play videogames?

| Idk, I couldn't buy the games when I was younger, so I watched let's plays on youtube

| No.

| Like you're being forced to watch any of that shit

| Let's Play videos are awful. I'm busy trying to enjoy some gameplay and weird facial expressions gurl has part of the screen taken up by her face and feels the need to yell over whatever dialogue or music the game has to offer. I prefer experiencing the game, not watching someone else experience it.

| In conclusion, Let's Play videos are uncomfy.

| >>620395 but they can provide a direct look into the personality of the person on screen and their reactions to the events, like a little tour into their mind. Most let's plays are a boring slog with awkward interactions in between the gameplay bits, but a good entertainer will naturally interact with the narrative happening on the screen, which in the world of video games is very individual, thus always new and interesting.

| >>620395 although I do find that streaming is a better format, since it also includes the human interaction between the streamer and the audience.

| >>620395
Then just play the dang game yourself. The whole point of LP is to watch someone else play it, reactions included.

Don't like the player but also don't want to play it yourself for some reason? Find someone else! There are more LPers in existence than there are g/u/rls on this board

| >>620361
>let's play The Game!
>Let's play The Game! REACTION VIDEO
>Re: Let's play The Game! REACTION VIDEO (And Why This Shit Needs To STOP!)
>Re: Let's play The Game! REACTION VIDEO (And Why This Shit Needs To STOP!) REACTION VIDEO
thumbnails up to your imagination

| I just watch no-commentaries for games I want to but cannot play, eliminates the stupid chatter the player makes and I get to see the game.

| >>620489
No commentary LPs are the only ones worth watching if you care about the game.

| TBH I only like watching cut scenes only LPs

| I used to watch a lot of it at around 2012-2017. I watched it for the game that I can't afford but then stayed for the personality.

I buily my own PC at 2017 and the value of LP plummeted for me because I can just buy/pirate games that I want to play. It didn't help that (understandably) a lot of LPers constantly bitch about how making money on youtube was getting harder. Plus, a lot of them migrated to PUBG or some mindless FPS like that.

| I used to watch a lot of it at around 2012-2017. I watched it for the game that I can't afford but then stayed for the personality.

I buily my own PC at 2017 and the value of LP plummeted for me because I can just buy/pirate games that I want to play. It didn't help that (understandably) a lot of LPers constantly bitch about how making money on youtube was getting harder. Plus, a lot of them migrated to PUBG or some mindless FPS like that.

| So yeah, I kinda agree with OP. They should just stop making traditional LP. The only way to go now is to edit and condense it. Have a 4 hour of footage? Condense it to 9 minutes and only leave the best/funniest part.

If you are too lazy for that, then migrate to twitch. 5000 views on youtube would probably earn youbless than 50$ donations.

| So yeah, I kinda agree with OP. They should just stop making traditional LP. The only way to go now is to edit and condense it. Have a 4 hour of footage? Condense it to 9 minutes and only leave the best/funniest part.

If you are too lazy for that, then migrate to twitch. 5000 views on youtube would probably earn youbless than 50$ donations.

| imagine what it would be like if VG companies had the same power as the music industry over youtube videos lol

| >>620684
Honestly gamers have no idea how lucky they are that the industry has struck a tacit peace accord with LPers/streamers

| >>620526
It boggles my mind that these people make money. It's literally random dudes, not even outstandingly entertaining people. At best they go OOOOOOOOOHH!! when something ebin happens, or they're hookers with their tits out.
I can get pros whose gameplay is worth watching, but it's not just pros. It doesn't even have to do with the games because no commentary LPs have shit views.

How the fuck do they get donations when it's so goddamn hard to make money as a creative?! HOW?!

| >>620795

Because they *are* creatives?

The LP'ers with super obnoxious personalities and ticks make me cringe, but at the end of the day its all a performance for them. People are drawn to the absurdity of their reactions or their schticks and pay accordingly. And let's be frank, not just anyone can keep that up, much less consistently, for the months or years required to build up a large enough userbase to break even.

| Let's plays are awful but Walkthroughs are really nice. Even with the voice if the text is narrated perfectly

| I personally watch them still, on games I really want to play/see but I don't have a console for example

| >>620805
>Because they *are* creatives?
Let's not conflate being a "content creator" with actually making creative things.
I don't care about literal definitions.

| Seems like most of you dislike LPers... I think there is a good case for LPs of open-ended games like Animal Crossing or run based games like Risk of Rain where the player can show off their creativity/skill

| I watch let's plays mainly for the let's players. That's why I only watch comfy stuff, like, more chill and casual types of let's plays. No facecam, no over exaggerated bullshit, just homies hanging out playing games and recording it. It's a good vibe.

| Let's Plays where it's just someone playing blind are stupid. Ones where they are being more informative with slight humour can actually be good. I see streaming as a whole other animal.

| While some Let's Play commentators could be aggravating, sometimes it's interesting to see how the puzzle unfolds in front of others (or watching someone who is actually pretty skilled). Also, just sometimes people can't afford the game or the hardware to play it - something I struggled with for a long time having a computer made from old parts/software and only having Nintendo consoles growing up.

While some let's players can be annoying, they certainly do have their place.

Total number of posts: 28, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1580281019

This thread is permanently archived