danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
graphics

| honestly, I don't think game graphics could improve any more.

unless we're talking about the singularity trying to build the matrix in real life, adding more realism isn't going to enhance anything at this point.

not to mention that realism has nothing to do with technology and more with VFX artistry and dedication (work hour). having more realism now means more expensive games which equals aggressive monetization. and it's all because we keep asking for better graphics..

| alternative OP: remember when getting the latest hi-end machine means getting cutting edge graphics technology? now all you get is the right to play badly optimized game!

| I'd say that animation deserves more attention than model or texture work nowadays, but there's still a continental amount of work to be done to bring visuals into photorealistic territory. Lighting is also being brought to a next standarts of quality and it's a fucking GPU eater as well. Don't insinuate that you could run a modern AAA game on max settings with ray tracing.
Still, I do partially agree that contending with big dick graphics should take second place on priority lists

| Graphics needs a lot of improvement yet, they usually aren't optimized and cause a lot of problems. They also follow an art style (even though it is realism) and that means someone may find realistic something you aren't finding (would you believe sky can be get green?). Yeah, the TOP graphics would be a simulation, or even better, something like AR were graphics are literally taken from real life.

| At this point, I think framerate and performance will be the next thing to prioritize if graphical fidelity has no room to grow.

Which I would be all for, since framerate has an objective effect on skill-based gameplay

| >>613086
Oh you know what I'm talking about. Raytracing is a gimmick. It *is* the next step for photorealistic rendering, but like I said, you don't really need photorealism to enjoy a game unless you're creating the matrix in real life. Honestly I'm scared of a future where 3D art is long forgotten in favor of photorealistic 3D scanning and motion tracking, but it seems to be what the mainstream wants (making videogames replace reality)

| >>613146 but did we REALLY need to get to the newer concole generation graphics to enjoy games? People still enjoy titles like the original Deus Ex and Morrowind just fine even if everything has less polygons than 1 square inch of 2B's buttocks. You don't need to have the most revolutionary visual fidelity for a good game but it is good for it even if for sheer innovation alone. I don't really get what you mean by "3D art", but assuming it's a stylistic choice of 3F visuals not...

| ... relying on photorealism, then it definitely won't be some forgotten art. The thing that still very much dominates when it comes to capturing the player's attention is style, games like Guilty Gear or Team Fortress are proof style is viable in the face of photorealism. But even there we have a lot of innovation to do, y'know how much work there us to be done with cell shading to reach peak cartoon/anime/comic graphics? Even ArcSys, who's Team Red has fully embraced the tech...

| ... cannot render these perfect anime styled 3D models outside of strictly directed sequences.
Even style can improve with new technology, we still value any new breakthrough that will give us better tools to create that perfect game world sitting in our minds, no matter if it's a photorealistic simulator of modern day America or a highly stylistic heavily 2D animation inspired fighting game. And I say we should continue improving for the sake of it.

| Am I the only one who straight up can't play games with realistic/near-realistic graphic? Real life gives me a headache, so why would I play a game that tries to emulate that?

Stylized ftw

| >>613174 yo this exactly, just bought thief gold like yesterday and am really enjoying it even though it's from 98

And op, we'll probably see real-time Ray tracing in the next few years gimic or not both amd and Nvidia are working on it

I blame Disney, they need raytracing for their movies so whoever makes that faster...

| Personally I'd like to see physics improve, we need more games with cloth, weapons, gear, even armor physics, how cool would it be to hit a dude and see his armor absorb the blow and maybe dent slightly, the ability to cut/shoot holes in things too

| Would disagree. There's a lot of space for improvement in VR. And even regular 3d still use shitload of tricks and optimizations that decrease computational difficulty significantly and looks almost like it was honestly rendered, but it still is distinguishable from an actual simulation.
Though for the games specifically I think it's pointless to improve graphics any further (and I'd probably say the same 10 years ago), because it doesn't really affect game's quality.

| just look around you right now. Do you think you think it would be possible to render all that?
All of the lighting effects, the microscopic details, and especially the ability to dynamically interact will all those objects and that the world reacts accordingly - most games consist almost entirely of static geometry. There's still loads of exciting problems to be solved!

| I don't care about graphics and your mindset is cancer. In this masturbation people forget about gameplay in games. If the game is good it's good regardless of its graphics. The more realistic and detailed games get, the more watered-down in other aspects they become. I'd play the minish cap or soul reaver over any anthem modern call of battlefield XV any day of the week.

| >>613465 sheesh dude, chill. I doubt anyone in this thread has been advocating putting gameplay or story on the chopping block in favor of graphics. Besides, graphical excellence in games is pretty important to improve on worldbuilding and immersion so it shouldn't be cast aside.

| I am one of those "I don't care about graphics" type of gurl. I play a lot of RPG maker games, mount&blade, kenshi, and emulate games from snes~ps2. When it comes to new games, however, graphics help me pay more attention to the trailers. I'd be more likely skip/pay little attention to game with bad graphics.

So yeah, graphics doesn't matter, but it does increases attention to your game.

| I care a lot about graphics. pixel art are great when done right, so is 3D art. there are needs that can be fulfilled with both ends of the spectrum. for example, when Disgaea upscaled their sprites, a lot of animation were sacrificed to favor resolution and some detail become odd looking (like how the characters always make a fist which was fine in low res). on the other hand, 3D literally gives a game an extra depth. when I played Dark Souls after playing so many 2D metroidvania,

| I was surprised by the intricacy that its level design allows which wasn't possible in 2D games. Do I need DS to be photorealistic then? Not at all. So is it just about spatial dimension? Not really. That photorealism become more appreciated when it comes to realistic first person shooter and VR, specifically because you can zoom into details. Hot take: high end graphics exist to serve FPS players. They are also the only ones asking for 144Hz after all.

| i miss good old vector graphics.

Total number of posts: 20, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1577443545

This thread is permanently archived