danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
why browser games is no longer a thing

| remember flash? it fuckin died and got replaced by mobile games, but it's not really the same isn't it? you gotta download mobile games, and they can be really huge. nothing really replace the "open browser and play games" experience that flash games used to serve. but why is that? every service imaginable are going into the web browser, so why did browser games die? and on related note, did html5 games ever took off?

| They kind of did take off, actually? itch.io has plenty of browser(-friendly) games. Where have you been, op?

I guess it's not as numerous as flash games back in the days, but I'll just chalk that to all the trash going to mobile and it being easier to make proper desktop/console games.

| Newgrounds lives.

| >>598968 I dunno. itch feels like niche of niche. it doesn't strike as a social game portal, and the comment section of each game is a barren wasteland. then again I don't know what the kids of these days are doing. maybe there is like a physics games dot net revival and i just didn't know.

>>599045 kind of! they are desperate of donations and if you aren't a supporter, the website is littered with so much ads you'd mistake it for a click fraud website.

| >>599101
Kids these days are somewhat happier just straight up downloading Fortnite and Minecraft, I guess.

And I guess today there's even more ways to spend your time online what with YouTube and streamers and social media. People who are interested in actually playing a game probably already got too many on Steam to even bother

| Has there been a browser game that reach financial success? Other than Facebook games, I think most of them are the type that relly on ad which is abysmal compared to microtransactions/gacha.

Plus, the target audiance has always been awkward. So, you are targeting people who have the time and resources to sit for hours and play game, but they must have bad PC/laptop, otherwise they will be playing better games.

| Farmsville-like games are far inferior compared to stardew valley in almost every aspect. It doesn't limit how long you can play it and it only cost like 15-20$.

Any action browser game will be overshadowed by pubg/fortnine. Not to mention that fortnite is free.

Like playing naruto? The naruto gane on steam has more content, looks better and cooler than the browser one.

Browser game simply can't compete with actual PC game.

| Next we have people and their smartphones. Some people simply can't sit and play gamez on their desk anymore. They want to play it when they commute, in boring family events, or even when they are taking a dump. Plus, Most 200$ phones nowadays have more than enough storage to handle one big fat gacha game, while browser won't be able to run as easy in them (never tried tbh, idk if they can run on android phones)

| There a game call granblue fantasy that you can play on mobile browser and also laptop browser. but still it's just a rpg with gacha

| Play Fallen London

| I'm making a browser game using Phoenix LiveView
It's gonna be a roguelike, I have the dungeon generator and movement mechanics ready

| Sometimes I just deadass forgot Fallen London exists. Play Fallen London.

Total number of posts: 12, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1569839795

This thread is permanently archived