danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Doing Game Dev at college! Any ideas?

| Going into my second year of game dev and I want to know, what do you guys play games for? What makes a certain game so good for you?

| I love sex.

| Animations. If the gameplay is smooth. If winning a round or something feels rewarding with an explosion or something. And it has to be anime.

| I love when games have stories that can be both chill and intense. A good example would be FFVII, which can quickly switch between goofy, fun stuff with the main characters to a serious and creepy atmosphere that gives you chills.

When it comes to gameplay I enjoy games that require you to learn the game mechanics properly, respect them, and use them creatively. Make the player have to think a bit, even if it isn't a puzzle game.

| Subtly hint at ways to use the different mechanics of the game without directly telling them. That way they feel smart (even if they aren't) and they will feel like they're genuinely getting better, unlike games where every new thing you can do and all the ways you can use them is explained to the player in detail.

Tldr: I like games that let you experiment, make you feel smart, that can have many different moods in it's story and isn't scared to try something new and be weird.

| UI design! UI design!

I know not a lot of people care about it, but good lustrous UI design always make any game a good one for me!

| When a game changes you in any way.

You always hear about games having to be fun, but that should be the basic requirement to compete in the market.

A game that is only fun is no more than a bag of chips.
Fills but doesn't feed.

So I consider a game a success if it makes you change your way of thinking.

Doesn't mean the game has to try being "art".

For example, I play EU4, and I ended up liking the Sabaton songs, genre that I never gave a chance because "all metal is screams".

| make sex games :3

| >>587342 That was Nier; Automata for me!

| Music is very important as a background element, it should fit into the situation, and change/adapt with the situation. Super intense music in a calm setting does not make sence, but peaceful music in a calm setting can provide the feeling of security, safety, etc.

Montif's are also really nice to have, because they can be used as symbols to help guide or provolk thought. If you have an object of importance, you can give it a montif so when players here it, they think of that.

| Game that evokes powerful emotions I don't feel in daily routine. It must make me feel alive when I struggle to. Nier is a good example, some visual novels, Kojima's games.

| OP, you better let everyone in this thread test your game

| OP kill your teachers and start a coup d'etat to overthrow your country's government.

| >>587650
based af

| I'm not picky in terms of games.

I play games to escape my life for an hour or two.

Take me on an adventure.
Make me lift buildings.
Make me hate something.
Make me hurt.
Make me take savage revenge.
Make me a mad scientist.
Make me run away.
Make me scared.
Make me save the day.
Make me destroy the world.

Let me be hero, let me be villain, let me be an unfortunate bystander, let me be anything but my actual self.

Just please don't make me feel like myself.

| Been playing eve recently maybe for an hour or two and haven't undocked.

Not something that you can make in a game jam but fine tuning systems can be pretty fun.

| >>587627 Issue there is I would need everyone here to sign an NDA, I wouldn't pass if you guys didn't sign and agree to it

| gameplay above everything else, to hell with unskippable cutscenes, longass empty dialogue or whatever bullshit that makes you a viewer instead of player

games are ment for people to play, so try more storytelling through gameplay!

| More complicated != more better. SUPERHOT had amazing combat but only 4 or 5 weapons. Make a few quality mechanics, not a lot of inconsistent mechanics, because frustrating or bad ones will stand out more than good ones.

| A good skill curve is what makes a game replayable. Enter The Gungeon is a good example: almost nothing is locked behind more than a few replays, but you'll need to replay a lot more times than that to progress. Reward skill with gameplay power, but not so much that you don't need any more skill.

Total number of posts: 20, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1565753254

This thread is permanently archived