danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Hi, so I had this project in school...

| , it was in my first college year, and we had to make a text adventure game. It was a year long project, and you had to hold a dev log and documentation along with it.
We'd start with writing a basic story that would serve as a guide to development, you know, just so you have some not-vague idea of where you're going.

So, I'm starting it from scratch right now.

The thing is I'm utterly ashamed of how the story I had written turned out, in terms of quality.

What do ?

| I know I spent a bit more than 3 months on just an outline... So I'm afraid it's gonna be a darned journey if I want to be happy with what I write.

| A story just has to make sense.

| >>579775
I'll see if I can at least do that.
The thing is it's based on a new form of energy that bears the name of a sweet biscuit from outer space.
So erm.

I'll do my best.

| >>579775 lemme guess, you've never played a Hideo Kojima game
----
I have three simple tips, OP, that may help, point one is highly debatable but it's useful to me, the others are almost sure to help

1. You don't have to write linearly you can start with key points and shape the rest of the story around them
2. Avoid introducing new story elements out of the blue
3. Ask for feedback often

| Make a diagram with the story and all its paths, don't write the story's script yet, just something to follow and code everything you think you'll need. When you are finally done with coding and you have to add the scripts, write them, improvise following what you have, let your imagination flow, you'll end up liking that story ans the quality will build up by itself. You can make cooking a beef an adventure even TLoZ would be envying

| >>26ad76 You should add a couple of sex scenes in there. Everyone loves sex. Including me.

| I am a master programmer and will teach faggot OP how to write a masterpiece text based game in C
```
#include<stdio.h>

void main() {
char name[69];
printf("tell me your name, oh brave adventurer");
gets(name);
printf("%s is a total faggot and dies", name);
printf("game over, faggot loser %s", name);
}

| >>579809
Lemme note this down for this evening when I get home.
I'll ask for feedback as often as it takes.
Thank for tips very much <3

| >>579810
So, I'm sticking with my flowchart until I get to a point where I can actually implement what I'm writing ?

| >>579851
I love sex too.

| >>579855
You are my new waif/u/.

| >>579761
I don't understand how a story can be bad when it's just in the planning stage. Everything is in the execution. Good writing/gameplay/implementation/whatever can make gold out of the most boring/bonkers plot.

So if you're still just figuring out the shape of it, don't sweat it op. Drive with it with all you've got.

And considering it's just your first college year, nobody's going to expect you to make something good. They just want you to understand the process.

Total number of posts: 13, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1563345553

This thread is permanently archived