danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Google Stadia

| Seems dumb to me, the controller looks uncomfortable and streaming is already slow for videos, imagine the lag for games

| I'll be the first NOT buying streaming consoles, but I know people still are going to buy it like paying for online gameplay... I can't understand it but there is people (I don't want to say blind) and I respect that they enjoy it, normies don't notixe the difference, but yeah streaming games requires a lot of extras and I doubt it will be perfect by the middle of the century, but I rather have a console that's capable of running all these games by it's own than faking it.

| My mobile phone is from 2016 and it's capable of running 60% of all gaming consoles, the 40% includes from Gamecube/ps2 until now (except Psp)
But mobiles now are capable of modern games + Gamecube, Ps2 and even Wii games.
The fun fact is that these mobiles phones end up being A LOT cheaper than a streaming service, quality is better, you can play anywhere with no latency and people are dedicated with it. If you wait enough you can get one for 200$ as higher

| Streaming consoles on the other hand is something you most likely would pay all your life per month, the streaming console isn't cheap for what it does, plus you need a controller, Internet connection (which means a service) in 3 months you have payed more than someone who just bought a mobile phone or even a computer, and you have lower quality.

| Also a problem with Streaming is that there is no feedback, imagine a world where gaming is just streaming, developers would have their games put in the service and they will still be payed, even if it's literally shit. So you are supporting bad work and you can't do nothing about it, you don't deserve to say it's bad because you don't own the game, so basically it would be Atari times 2.0

| >>e6513d we get it, you don't like streaming game services

| Gonna go the way of the Nvidia shield. Also just another Steam controller or b worse... Ouya *shudders*

| meh.

>>540263

lmao, i forgot the Shield was a thing.

| Probably not gonna work, what with the internet/ISP problems and input lag... If it survives it's going to be a niche thing.

I could see a game renting service like this working, but trying to compete with consoles and PC? No way.

| I mean, I can see it working perfectly with turn based RPGs and visual novels even with bad internet
But little else

| This is one of the scariest things Google has done. Imagine that this is successful and the whole mainstream videogame market gets in the wagon.

The biggest and shadiest ad company in the world could be in control of distributing, promoting and monetizing (Ads, YouTube crap,subscriptions..) the videogame business.

| >>540375

Screenshotting just in case we live in a truly dark timeline and this actually happens.

| >>540375 it's a reasonable fear, but you said it, It's Google, they have done many things wrong and have been sued many many times, yet somehow they get stronger as a company but they give up in a lot of things (Google+), and in what they don't give up they do really bad (Youtube) resulting in other platforms doing what Google can't because Google love money and won't sacrifice (it will explode some workers though) they need another direction if they want to keep on Gaming

| If they just simply let access to all the Android App Store from a web Browser it would actually make the others fear but that's not happening (as I said, money)

>>540377 add Disney to the formula lol

| If internet provided by ISPs was actually good, stadia might get them some money. But even if good internet exists, people would chose the actual copies of the game for convenience and reliability purposes

| >>540229 so the lag of Google's streaming service was not bad, not sure how much lag there actually was but it was barely noticeable on good days and a minor inconvenience on bad days, lag is basically solved by every platform, though I felt Google's was slightly more responsive than Nvidia's

>>540237 as for not buying streaming consoles those aren't really the ideal market anyway it's a service you pay for and use on all your devices if Google gets their way

| >>540381 depends, if it's not super expensive some people will use it over buying the hardware to be able to run it themselves, I actually have a few friends in college who are using the Nvidia stream free beta to play games on their laptops

| Not to get ahead or anything on this topic, but I'm throwing this out there. If google is stepping forth into the games industry, I'm predicting Amazon isn't too far behind.

| >>540449
How is it? I've tried playstation now for like 30mins and it had major input lag

| >>4ba352 ...to no one's surprise

| Did anyone else use OnLive back when it was up and running? It had a pretty good selection of games on it. It was to nice to be able to play ps3 games on a potato computer. Sad that they went bankrupt and shut down.

| >>540568
I thought they got bought out by sony and they got recycled into ps now

| >>540634 that and the fact it seems to need a special Google controller with a google search button and an always on microphone spying on you
As if the browser, smartphones, chromecast, OS, search engine, email system, calendar, glasses and cars weren't enough to spy on everyone

| It seems most of you don't know shit about this and are way too paranoid for your own good, so I'll guess I have to be the first to support this here.

The biggest problem is obviously the internet requirement. A lot of places won't get to enjoy this due to that.

But for everyone who has good internet and don't want to spend thousands on getting all the consoles and upgrading their extremely expensive computers, this is pretty fucking cool.

| I know that similar stuff has been attempted before, but this is fucking Google! They have the money and people to actually make this work.

Personally I don't have a powerful computer, and I don't have the money to buy it. But something I do have is good internet.

So if this works out, playing basically everything on my little laptop with whatever controls I prefer is awesome! The fact it's possible to quickly switch between devicea is also pretty incredible.

| So I'm not saying there's no reason to have doubts about it, I'm not saying it's perfect and I'm not saying it will work.

But if it does work out, there's absolutely no downsides to this (except for the internet thing)!

| >>540708 and the fact Google will be one step closer to total monopoly of all technology is also a downside

| >>540709
Well, that's wrong. It won't replace gaming consoles. It won't replace powerful computers.

As I said, internet is a big issue. There's also the fact that there'll always be people who prefer doing it normally.

There's also the fact that there is going to be a slight, but guaranteed, difference in performance.

Streaming will always be less powerful than running something locally. That's why this won't give Google a monopoly on the video game market.

| you talk about monopoly but, somehow, steam's monopoly is acceptable. Epic store comes to the market, people bash it, google tryes to enter the market, people bash it.

We need more competition in the game market! There are already other platforms like GoG and itch but their share is minimal compared to steam

| >>540731 I don't think Steam's monopoly is acceptable, I use mostly GoG because having no DRM is almost irresistible
Epic reeks of spyware and doesn't allow you to play while offline
And I accept recommendations for other places to buy pc games if they have use friendly policies AND allow me to play offline as my internet sucks

| >>540637 you can use kb+m just find they're just selling the controller for some reason

| >>540503 in the beta it was mostly fine like if you look for it you can definitely tell there's a little lag but it's maybe a few frames at 60fps so it's not that bad, though one day when their servers were having issues it was like like 1/10th a second so it depends I guess

| And I agree with >>df62c6 there's a market for this and it's good that it exists, I think a lot of people in college are going to make use of this in the future, pc can't be stolen if it's not in the dorm

| >>540735 it really have never been a monopoly, Steam took it more serious, doing their product right, they offer a lot of support to the community, consumers and creators. It's not really Valve's fault and when GoG and Origin came they succeded, also older game launchers succeded too, even though they were more limited in game amount, but they did well too.
The beauty of Pc Gaming is that there is place for everyone, Steam never tried to stop that

| True. While steam is a giant and you can call it a monopoly, they never really enforced anti-competitive policies, something that Epic is doing. I *want* Epic to succeed and give steam competition, but not in the way theyre doing it. Also, totally fine with Google entering the gaming market, as long as they don't use anti-competitive policies like throttling non-stadia content or some such.

| It's for noobs. Let them have it.

| While I dont think that the first integration of stadia will be perfect, I'm loving the idea of the potential it has. Ive always thought of what a world would be like where you didn't have to download games, but play them instantly. Also there is no harm in trying it out right? If all it would take is 5 seconds from an ad to get into the game and try it. Obviously I won't be using it over PC, but it does sound cool imo.Plus I can already watch 8k videos on YouTube with no buffering

| >>541033 imagine if you didn't have to download a game... if only you already have it to play anywhere under any condition...
In 2100 maybe it works perfectly, but I doubt humanity and technology is ready yet or sooner.
Also by that time it could actually work, maybe we already will have 1000 Terabytes microSDs in our devices (now we have 1TB and that's more than enough in Pc gaming) you download once a game and it will be there forever, so where does Streaming fit?

| I mean if you want just to try and try 100 of games (like demos) it's actually cool, to test them, but how many of those 100 are you actually going to play more than 5 hours? Is it really worth it? Also if you really like a game and you are going to play thousand of hours on it I highly doubt you'll have time for.other games and I doubt you won't want to like another way of olaying it, maybe a REAL one, a way to support directly the developer

| >>541069
See this got me thinking that aside from high-spec game, game streaming should be focused on short adventure games, the kind that can be played in one sitting.

But I guess that's not where the money is pfft.

Total number of posts: 40, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1553247803

This thread is permanently archived