danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Has there been games that have been released kind of away from the public?

| I have some ideas for a very experimental game, that I wouldn't want to release on a mainstream platform of any sort.

I know that that's a bad decision financially, but has it been done before, and how did it go?

Have people just low-key released games kind of away from the public, but still managed to gain a decent following/community?

| You mean like Middens/Space Funeral kind of away from the public or somewhere actually obscure? Cause I know releasing it on GameJolt, NewGrounds, Itch.io etc could work, but I'm not sure it's gonna reach anyone if you go further than that. Depends on what kind of audience you're aiming for I guess.

| For small games usually "gain a decent following" and "releasing the game" are two very different things happening in very different places.

I'm in the "toot about your game as loud as you can" camp, but if you're worried about public opinikn you can just, idk, show it only to friends.

Or, like, us danger/v/ gurls.

| Pokemon Go was released unannounced and with zero marketing, but to be fair... its Pokemon.

| >>529343 wtf the game was announced almost a year before its release and the trailer was the best thing Pokemon Go has. It went even to the Super Bowl so that way it could reach a LOT of people.

| >>52930
If you want popularity, you have to finacially sacrifice in some sort of form, that's how indie developers has been doing it and how big companies do it... and well Toby Fox was the exception (I think). You could try talking to some company instead so they publish it, you won't get 100% of the benefits, but those who did are really happy about it. Christian Whitehead is even making his own company. So Sega or Devolver. But that way your game must have some quality I guess.

| >>529339
It's not really public opinion, but more that I don't think most people would be interested in it, so releasing with publishers on say Steam would not be beneficial in any way.

| >>529423
Eh. These days releasing on Steam doesn't really give you anything you don't already have.

Just release it on Itch.io at least. It's free and super friendly.

| >>529442
I've got a little game there already. I love the site. It probably would be the best option.

| Share it g/u/rl!

| Itch.io doesn't have good reputation does it?

| >>529667
Uhhh what? Every indie dev I know who know it praise it.

It's free to set up shop there. You can choose the revenue split yourself. Buyers can pay more than the set price if they want. You can download games DRM free or with a cozy self-updating launcher.

Sure it got some hiccups, connection's kinda slow, and discoverability is not great right now, but the folks behind it are constantly working on it.

| >>529667 >>529713
Yeah. Itch.io has like the best reputation. It's a lot better than Steam for Indies. It feels kind of bad setting the revenue split to 100% me and 0% them, but when it only has 23 downloads, not having to share your one donation helps a lot.

| >>529582
If you're referring to >>529453, I'll warn you that it's pretty flawed, and pretty, well, different. It also ends a little earlier than it should, which I was supposed to fix in an update 2-3 weeks ago.

I think a mod actually pinned the thread where I shared it. It should be in green text.

| fuckn red text...

| Wait, am I unbanned?

| Fuck yeah! Praise be to our lord and saviour Stormy!

Total number of posts: 17, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1550067325

This thread is permanently archived