danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Making music for my own game

| For years I have been trying many different ways, but that never ended in anything... I tryed a lot of programmes and even apps, I think they are good, but not for me, maybe it's because I'm bad for music, I never played an instrument, but is something I need to overcome in order to make my game, because music is always important.
So I'm here to ask for tips or ideas or how do you do it, I don't want to delay my game because there is no music and no sound!

| Yeah, no, you just have to practice the shit out of it, there's no other way. And learn some music theory along the way. Playing an instrument also helps, but it's not as crucial as the other two points.

| Well...

I recommend trying out onlinesequencer.net
At firts you won't have any control over what you make, but it's a good tool to learn the basics.

| outsource?

| Definitely outsource unless you truly want to be a musician and have an ear for music.
It's a tone of work.

| Soundtrap, using loops and other effects, easy as that

| >>525646 This. No point trying to do everything by yourself.

| Ye, also have such situation with making LISA fan game. Good thing ive got a good comrade who is musician ans ready to help me out the best way he can.

It is hard to be lone developer, we do need some help... so try to get some team,even small 1 and your work get so much more pleasant and easier

| >>(OP w/ possible different ID)
>>525627
There is a lot of talented people there, I have tried many times, but never ended in anything
>>525632
I'll check it
>>525651
I'd feel bad using presets from other people, if it's even legal in a coyright meaning.
>>525665
I always think about it, the problem is that I don't know who can I trust in, and that I would feel bad because he/she wouldn't be paid until the release of the game, if everything goes well.

| >>525632 >>525646
Ok already checked what is it, I mean thanks but I can't afford something like this as I stated before, If I had the money I would had already hired someone or bought a midi piano and keep practising until getting something

| >>acb5d4
Try to make it for the idea.
Make a name for yourself with small free stuff.
Maybe ask for donations for time youre getting hand on this(if you really want to pay to your pals for help).
Then when you think you ready try to expand what you already made(or make something new) and only THEN put a price on that.

Atleast that how im planning to do it.

| Download renoise.

| What you are saying is like saying "I tried drawing with many different pens, but the result is always bad". Well yeah, because to make good music you need to learn how to make music. So either take courses, or start reproducing existing musics and things like that, but in any case it's going to take a long time.

| >>525772
I have a little project like that too, still music is needed, even if its free xD
>>525850
Looks good, I'll try it.

| >>525867
More or less but what I mean is that for example, I've been trying FL Studio for over 10 years, and I still don't have anything because I end up deleting my projects, usually these programs are complex for just making a song. I usually improvise tunes in my mind, and I'd like to export it in a simple way, not downloading +100 plugins and at the end forgeting the tune. I would like to do a course, but I don't have time.

| >>525720 Soundtrap actually allows you to form notes yourself too, presets can be of some assistant, you can a lot of personal touch in there, pan it around, turn up the pitch, speed up the tempo and stuff, I think it will give you premium for a month too, maybe give it a try

| >>678fff Also, what kind games do you make? On which engine?

| >>525874 To learn about using softwares, look for tutorials online. I'm absolutely not versed into music-making and yet I managed to get a hang on FLStudio, and also LMMS (open-source counterpart) by looking at how people did stuff, and trying to do the same.

Or learn how to write partitions, that's the "easiest" way to export a tune, and you don't need any software.

| >>525874 Then you need to stop trying to make music. If you haven't been able to write a song in 10 years using something like FL Studio (which makes writing music via MIDI fairly easy), then you're definitely not a musician.
Hire someone to write for you.
If you don't want to spend money, then find a friend who will, or at least offer to trade services.

| >>525913 wow I like it, even though it glitch on my phone I may try it longer, I'm liking it more than MusicMaker.
>>525917 on Game Maker, is a fast-mid-paced 2D platformer, I've already though in adding little tweeks depending on the time of the day (day-night cycle) without losing the rythm.
>>525941 I'll try to do so, any recomendations? Maybe some remixes to train and then originals.
>>>>526116 then again, if I could do so I wouldn't be posting here...
I'll keep trying for now.

|

| >>526139 Can you tell me how it looks like? I'd love to try making some music for it myself :)

| >>526139 I'd say to first just make existing music, either by hear or using a partition. Take any old video game music (most are midi, so relatively easy to make), and try to do the same with your software. Or take the partition and "virtualise" it. This way you will slowly understand the usual tricks, how some feelings are produced, and such.
Remixes are like original creations, you just have an existing basis.

Total number of posts: 23, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1548980361

This thread is permanently archived