danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Learning to have fun with games you hate?

| Sometimes I wonder if I missed out on what make certain games appealing. Like if I'm missing a certain mindset or if particular settings have a drastically different playing experience.

I don't like being negative about games plenty of people enjoy. Even though I have my own favorites to retreat to. I just feel like I'm missing out on what everyone else sees in them.

Advice, g/u/rls?

| Eh. No game is for everyone. You shouldn't feel bad for not liking what other people like.

Not being negative and being willing to experience something new are good enough mindset, really. You're gonna have to be more specific about what game you're trying to like, op

| If the game is objectively bad, just don't.
Else, you can try it to see why people like it, but flexing yourself to enjoy a game is nonsensical.

| I've heard a theory that people like certain types of games to fill in what they lack in real life, like co-op shooters for teamwork, rhythm for order and whatnot, maybe it's just you don't have that need?

| >>487906 or the game is shit let's not discount that

| Oh I am >>041b27

| >>487906 What does only playing visual novels mean?

| >>490191
A need for actual conversation and social contact in real life?

| >>c12935 +1

| You are totally right to not like certain types of games, but if you want to find something interesting in something you don't like, just try a lot of stuff until you are certain it's not for you, or you find something in particular that appeals to you.
Personally I hated some MMOs until i played tibia, because it's kinda possible to play alone entirely and not to depend on other people to be able to play. I had to find something for me, but i still don't like MMOs in general.

| I would love to help if you gave me an example. It's kind of hard to do without one. While it may be "it's just not for you", I think that your current mindset etc is very important.

Sometimes I can play my favourite games, and not enjoy it at all. But the next day when I play it, I'll have the time of my life.
Sometimes I may play games, and not enjoy them at all. Then when I try it another time I'll love it.

So give me an example, and I'll try my best.

| >>492287 There's quite a few games I wanted to like but couldn't. One example being Fire Emblem Echoes. It's gorgeous and simple to pick up.... but I hated the story and it's way too boring even for a remake of a Famicom RPG. I played other FEs and this was the worst.

I like seeing the best in various games so it sucks that this one was infuriating.

| >>493422
I mean, if you gave it a fair shot and didn't like it, there's not much to do about it. Personally I like that game, but that's purely because of the gameplay, which really is all it has.

If you don't like that, there's not really anything you can do about it.

Do you have any other examples? Games you wanted to like, played an hour or so of and never picked up again. Something that you feel like you didn't give a fair chance.

| >>493445 Probably for the best. I did give it two playthroughs with different mindsets and it wasn't enough.

As for others, well I didn't dislike them as much but the Tales series comes to mind. Not because of the gameplay and I don't doubt the story quality. It's actually the alienating terminology and pace-breaking exposition. Which gets worse when trying the older games that have no skip button.

| >>493537
Yeah, honestly. Tales of Symphonia seems so much like it would be up my alley, but I just can't bring myself to keep coming back to it again and again.

| >>493537
Don't know much about Tales, but if learning all the lore is important to you, then you probably won't enjoy that.

| >>493537
It's kinda funny cause the constant world-building is the only good part of Tales of games for me. I don't give much crap about these plucky band of heroes, I just want to delve more into the magic system and world politics.

Eh, different people have different taste

Total number of posts: 17, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1543540973

This thread is permanently archived