danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Making a game, and I want your opinions.

| Hi. I'm currently in the beginning phases of making a game, and I'm curious if people would be interested in something like it.

Basically, it's a top down action RPG/adventure game. It's going to be kind of strange(surrealistic?), and will feature a bounty hunter type character.
It will be gruesome at times, while light hearted at others. There will be things to decode (irl) to reveal some important bits of story. The graphics won't be the prettiest, but they will fit the mood.

| I don't really have anything to show yet. I have some finished short stories set in that universe, but I don't know if they will mean a lot if you haven't played the game.

I have some sprites and stuff, but I want them to first be shown in the game, and I'll probably be doing some adjustments to some of them.

The combat will (if I manage to pull it of) be inspired by the colour wheel from Magic the Gathering. Meaning lots of different play styles and enemies.

| okay

| Are you actually pursuing creating a game, or are you just writing out story ideas?
Because making a game will take a talented and dedicated team plus a lot of time and money.

| >>476965
I am actually making it. It won't be professional, and it'll take a really long time, and it probably won't be the best. But I am legitimately trying to make it.

| What are you making it in and are you making it alone?

| >>476969
More or less alone, and in GMS2. I'm currently making a little game with some friends, so I'm not completely new to this. The code in that is pure garbage though, which is why I'm learning programming from a really good Udemy course right now.

| I'm still not sure where you're going to from what you're saying but, gurl, I love small indie knick-knacks. I'd love to play your game!

Just remember though: games are HARD TO MAKE. If it's your first, start small! Don't be too ambitious. Releasing a small tight game is infinitely better than not finishing a magnum opus.

Go and make that game!

| >>476976
I'm aware. I've been trying to do this for 3 years or so. I'm soon finished with a small little game, and then I'll focus more on the the one I described.

Thank you for the advice and motivation though. I appreciate it.

| >>476965
>team
it's entirely possible to make a good game by yourself. just look at axiom verge and the touhou series.

| >>477003
Fuckinnng Stardew Valley, g/u/rl. Now that's impressive to do by oneself.

Captcha reads "chats bias flung". This feels relevant.

| imo decoding things in real life should not prevent you from progressing. while it's fine to use it for lore, if it obscures the gameplay then it will just feel like a pain in the ass.
as for the MtG colors, it doesn't really sound like it fits with the rest but don't let me discourage you.

| >>477277
I haven't really explained a lot of the world. In my head, it would fit perfectly. Only problem is that the game would need some size for me to be able to do it.

The decoding is only meant for lore. I don't want to ruin the gameplay with bad, unfitting lore explanations, which is why I want to do it that way.

| I love sex.

| >>476965
>team
Clearly haven't seen Cave Story and how great of a one-man show it is.

| >>477691
Can you teach me?

>>477694 >>477229 >>477003
Those are incredible developers, and you should not compare every solo dev to them. Most solo devs can't even compare, and I doubt that I can.

| >>477713
The point that I (and probably those other two posts) was making is the fact that you don't need whole teams to make something amazing. Money? Yes. Time? Most definitely. But you can make something work with just yourself, that's the nailing point here.

Working alone usually means you'd need to cut corners to save time, or wind up having your game in development for a good amount of time. Either is the risk of having only two hands to work on it.

| >>477694
Cave Story took, what, like 5 years or something? And while it is a great game and I love it to bits, it's SHORT and pretty basic when you get down to it. So yeah. Having a team makes it exponentially easier.

| >>477745
A team of course makes it easier, but I don't have the money to hire people, and the only people taht could be available to me are not people I want to involve too much in this project.

| I haven't read anything beyond the title, but the game has to be Source Code available.

Total number of posts: 20, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1543008101

This thread is permanently archived