danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Be straight with me.

| Thoughts on emulating games and thoughts on pirating.

| Good and good. You should have the full freedom to do both of these things.

| Nah, I'm gonna be as gay with you as my heart tells me to.
All jokes aside, well, I'm not saying it's good, but I'm also not saying that it's an evil virus of Satan and that all pirates will go to hell.
Plus, emulating sometimes gives a way better experience than playing an actual game on an actual console.

| Emulating is a great thing, cause not everybody has money to buy that one obscure game from 90s for 1000$. Pirating is ok I guess? I mean yeah it's bad for developers but at least poor ppl like me can enjoy a lot of great games

| >>464173
Exactly what I was gonna say regarding old/obscure games. Plus, eBay/Amazon don't even ship to where I live AFAIK and good luck getting old console games locally in CIS.

| >>285365 but what if the developers are poor? I'm with yah on triple a garbage, they expect a certain amount of pirates on there financials anyway.

Joe shmoe indie probably needs the money to continue doing what they are doing.

| Emulators are mostly good since you really can't buy that game from anywhere right now but pirating is diffrent. If you are pirating E3 games and popular companys games I guess its okay since not everyone has that much money especially in other countries but I am absolutely against pirating indie games because of developers only financial resource is you buying that game.

| As long as the game you are emulating is basically abandonware it is okay, if it's something that you can't buy normally from official stores, it is ok.
If you are pirating a new game because you MUST play it even if you can't buy it, then you are falling in the "piece of shit" category. I'd like to remind you that pirating stuff is a middle finger to people that put time and effort into producing a game, and if you are enjoying the game, paying is the least you can do.

| It depends how relevant the game is to me, if you emulate a copy of metroid fusion on the gba to have something to do except candy crush then yeah. If you copy RDR2 then....

| Emulation is pretty much the reason why there's a retro market. And it helps with the preservation of the medium.

| Emulation wouldn't exist if game companies weren't pure assholes.
Piracy wouldn't exist if virtual content was always free and financed by donations.

So just be logical. Emulate if you have no good alternative (which is almost always the case, though), and don't buy games from companies with shitty mentality (dlcs, drms, early access, etc...).
But buy things when you want to encourage the devs/company/creator/etc..
Basically, force a donation system through your behaviour.

| >>464258 that's a new way to look at it for me

| There is absolutely zero problem if the game or whatever isn't being sold anymore. But otherwise nah don't do that if you want your product to thrive and be successful. Or do whatever you want i'm not a cop.

| imo go ahead and pirate the older stuff because none of that money is going to the original devs anymore. With newer stuff, anything on steam, etc. at least pay when you can.

| Do whatever you want, and don't let gamers guilt trip you.

| i'm sorry i can only be gay with you

| Except for small indie games, pirating that isn't part of a mass movement don't affect company's bottom line all that much.

On the other hand, if the game's not selling, the company might decide to axe future related projects or take directorial rights away from the devs.

Pirate responsibly!

| Emulating is a-ok for me, especially old consols and handhelds like gba or nds, pirating maaaaaybe depends
I treat the latter as trial-versions, play for a while, like it - buy it, don't like it - nuff said
Not to be a little shit or anything but games are fucking expensive now where I live, gotta be responsible

>>write tips after

| I feel like emulating old games is fine, since there's not really a lot of ways to play them otherwise. You either emulate them, or pay way too much money for the cartridge.

When it comes to pirating of modern games, I'm not a fan. While sure, some people treat pirated versions as demos, and buy the game if they like it. But a lot of people don't.
You don't have to pay some cunt on eBay $1500 to get access to Steam.

| Emulating games that are no longer in print is a-ok with me, piracy should be less illegal but still illegal, a fine is warranted but unless you've been caught a bunch I don't agree with jail time

| >>469430
Yeah, I agree completely. However, I now have a bunch of games on Steam (and really good games, that I like a lot), that only have like half an hour of play time because I've already beaten it on the pirated "demo".

| >>469555 does it matter aside from supporting the devs and ceeping the game for collection's sake

| >>469562 >>469555
Supporting the devs is the reason buying it is important. I'm ok with someone playing a pirated version as long as they also buy the game to support the devs.

The problem is that most people don't also buy it. They only play the pirated version, and the developers don't earn anything.

| As long as you can afford it you should buy it. But i was pirating software and games when i had none and i really enjoyed some of them. i even bought most of them later on.
and emulating is not a problem since all the die hard nintendo 'fans' are overpricing the gameboy and ds and sorry but i aint gonna give more than 1$ for a 15 year old pokemon cartridge.

| >>469620
Also
Why buy a console which won't have any new games
At least I heard that 3/2ds supports nds cartridges, but gameboy? Be lucky if your game will be included in some '1001 classic games of old' rerelease

| Emulating is fine.

Pirating is a dick move but understandable if you're poor.

Pirating despite not being poor makes you a jackass.

| do as u please and fuck capitalism and the big companies

SITCK IT TO THE MAN

| >>470006
(Indie games get pirated too, so fuck people just trying to get by doing something they love.)

| >>471381 This honestly, idgaf if huge games get pirated, but when something like Stardew Valley, a one-man-made game, is pirated, it really annoys me. My compromise is i buy indie games i pirated out of respect and love for the game i.e. vallhalla and furi

| Pirate everything except when you want to support small time indie creators. Small bands for their music, small devs for their games.

But everything else under the sun is mine to nab, and I won't miss a wink of sleep either. No, its not something I think is "morally good" or will try to defend, I simply don't care about massive companies losses.

| I'm gonna be gay with you and say that emulating is good because there are games that you just can't play otherwise (like gamecube games), and pirating is okay with AAA games but bad with indie games

| >>470006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnbVu8QXCMY and fuck off

| I think both are fine, and the second one especially with AAA games from EA.

| Pirating Roms for games that aren't on sale anymore is perfectly fine imo. Pirating current games and software really depends. I can't afford the whole Adobe creative suit so I pirate it. I wouldn't pirate some 20 buck indie game. ...

| ... I also pirate anime, because prices here are ridiculous and I would need to import it for english subtitles, which would cost me another 20-50 bucks of customs. I prefer to support the industry with figures, artbooks and the occasional complete series box of anime that I love.

| Emulating and pirating games that you can't access is reasonable and understandable but if you pirate games that you can easily access then you are a bad g/u/el.

| G/u/rl *

| >>1f9969 yeah that's weird point of contention, being strict on one type of piracy and being okay with another.

Like I buy all my games and will even spend 50 on a rare oldy, but download music like a mother flicker.

It's really a matter of convenience too don't forget.

| >>471423
Streaming music is free though...

| Lets be real. If it's an old game, the developer isn't seeing that money anyways.

| Pirating is gay. Emulating is not really.

Total number of posts: 41, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1542737245

This thread is permanently archived