danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Any jrpgs recommendations?

| Preferably open world, like neir automata but with the ability to bond with the NPCs like in persona.
Is there anything like that?

| nep

| Uhhh, Tales of... series, in a way. Mainly Symphonia, Vesperia, Abyss, Berseria. Not really "open world" though, maybe just a bit.

| Persona 3

| Persona 2.

| As far as open world JRPGs go, there's Final Fantasy XV and Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2.

As for JRPGs with characters to bond with, give the Trails of Cold Steel series a try.

| Also, Xenoblade Chronicles X. Far from a "perfect game", but it's pretty unique, and I think they perfected the combat system used in the Wii Xenoblade. It's kind of an oddity as far as JRPG's, but it has a lot of character to it, and I was quickly sucked into the world and exploring it along with the arcs for the main characters (and some of the side character quests/arcs were great too).
Out of all the games I've played, it definitely made for one of the more unique experiences.

| >>361862
Xenoblade Chronicles X is fucking incredible too. I agree with what this other anon said, but I want to add the fact that the soundtrack is as epic as it gets. It's straight up fucking incredible!

Also, the exploration is extremely fun, and the scenery is beautiful. The job type system they have there too, is fucking cool too.

| Probably not the Tales series if you liked Persona and Nier, those games are for the most part bland and uninspired cliched trope-fests. Xenoblade Chronicles and Final Fantasy XV are worth a shot I think. And Breath of the Wild if you somehow havent played that yet? Maybe try FF XIV if you dont mind trying an mmo, its a pretty solid game. And if you really like Persona and dont mind trying something more puzzle based try Catherine? Its a personal favorite made by the same publisher

| As far as finding a sort of open world Persona and Nier crosover style game though...does that exist? I wish ;-;

| >>361916 seconding this, tales of.. game is pretty much your mediocre anime + mediocre JRPG.

There's no other "like persona" games, that's why the series is so popular. The closest that come in my mind is Devil Survivor 2. It is not open world, in fact, it is a grid based strategy RPG. But it has bonding system.

If you don't mind getting further from persona, then AR Tonelico have some kind of bond system too, but it involves less character.

| >>361918
A mix between Persona 5 and Nier is a dream that will probably remain a dream for a while.

Some other big, actiony JRPGs though, are the Kingdom Hearts series, and that new game that recently dropped on Switch. I don't remember the name, but it was number VIII in a series.

| Play Tales of Berseria, Tales of Xillia (the first one), and Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition once it comes out.

Highly highly recommend playing Suikoden 2, or any Suikoden game really. Final Fantasy VI, other SMT games, and the Xenoblade games are also good.

| >>361984
You're thinking of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana.

Speaking of Ys, play Ys. I highly recommend Origin, and Oath in Felghana is very popular too.

| >>362177
Yeah! That one. Play that.

| The closest thing to Persona as far as the bonding thing go is probably Mana Khemia. It's not open world, though.

Also play the first Nier.

Also, this is absolutely not what you said you want but,
Play Persona 2

| >>362481 nice P2 meme, gurl

| Blue Reflection

| Violated heroine

| >>362481 which persona 2? innocent sin or eternal punishment?

| >>362590
Eternal Punishment is a sequel to Innocent Sin, so uhhh I think you can figure that one out yourself.

>>361916 >>361933
Idunno, Tales of Symphonia, Innocence, and the Abyss in particular still were oddly enjoyable so far.

| >>362799 sequel? i thought persona games had no major story connection.

| >>362851
Yeah, but those are both P2, consider it a two-parter I guess.

| Ni no Kuni is pretty cool

| >>362799
Innocent Sin can be played as a stand-alone. In a way, Eternal Punishment too, but you'll be missing a lot.

Play Persona 2

| >My list of favorite jrpg
-Final Fantasy 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
-Persona 2
-Golden sun
-Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
-Chrono Trigger (the BEST Final Fantasy)
-Bravely Default and Bravely Second

I like others, like the Shin Megami Tensei saga, but they are hard to play today

| How about that octoshit for switch?

| >>363786
Octoshit is good.

| Octopus traveller is great

| -The Trails in Sky series is great. It was for psp but you can get them very cheap on Steam and #3 is being translated right now.

-If you have to play any Final Fantasy, play 6 or 7.

-Earthbound or Mario RPG. Both are kinda pricy on original cart but you can get Earthbound on Wii U or 3ds for cheap.

-I've only played Tales of Symphonia and I hated it. I hear the more recent ones are better.

-YIIK whenever it comes out. It looks pretty good.

| >>364104
I tried the first Trails in the Sky, and although I fell in love with characters, visuals and music, the gameplay is suuuch a slog. Had to drop it around halfway, because it became too tedious at that point.

| >>36393 that good octoshit.

| >>364128 gameplay is a slog, but at least you can speed it up. My problem with it is more about the story, especially the arc in which they stop at the school, the exploration part of the game just stopped. It turned into highschool anime, beautiful landscape become a boring school.

| >>361674 one of my all time favorites

| I think I've come to hate the term "JRPG" It used to be a name for a very specific genre of RPG that is popular in Japan but now I see everyone using it for any RPG made in Japan. I don't see the point anymore.

| Nepu!

| Every single Persona game

| >>364941 not really, no one calls Dark Souls game "JRPG".

We still need the sub-genre to differentiate things like persona from skyrim, Nier Automata from Witcher 3. As sometimes people that like western RPG also develop some kind of allergy of anime art style; While on the other hand, people that usually play JRPG won't necessarily love western RPG too.

| >>365295
True.

| I don't think anyone has mentioned the Kingdom Hearts series yet, so that.

| This thread needs more PS1 love.

-Valkyrie Profile is fairly open for choosing your path, good combat system, and bonding with characters is part of the gameplay system (although bonding may not be the best term... More like raising them to be decent human beings). Get the rerelease on PSP or emulate it if you aren't collecting, though. An original copy is $100+

| >>365396 Oh my gosh valkyrie profile is such a gem Get the ps1 version for better menus. Emulating it is free, too. Never have I played a game with such quotable voice acting. Not even Demon's Souls.

| >>365295
I've heard people call Dark Souls a JRPG many times. And I agree that aesthetic is a factor but I don't think it's a GAME genre. Anime aesthetic is its own thing.

| what exactly is a jrpg? anime styled games with turn-based combat? or can you just call an rpg game made by japanese people a jrpg?

| >>365579 an rpg from japan

| >>365579
Typically it referred to an rpg in the vein of dragon quest or final fantasy. Turn based and menu based combat being the most definitive features.
Less definitive would be a party of premade characters(no character creation)

Total number of posts: 46, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1531952771

This thread is permanently archived