danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
I love roguelikes, does anyone know of some obscure ones?

|

| Caves of Qud and CDDA.

| Hmm obscure.

Legerdemain is pretty fucking obscure, how about that?

http://roguelikefiction.com/?page_id=6

| I remember our darker purpose being a bit unique, been awhile since I played

| City of Brass is good

| Nethack
Elona
FTL - ffaster than light

| Out There Omega was an interesting one.
I don't know if it's obscure or roguelike in your book though

| >>285634
Nethack and Elona are pretty fucking popular for roguelikes. And FTL only has some roguelike elements, plus it's even more popular.

I guess IVAN is a more or less obscure one, haven't seen it being mentioned anywhere in a while.

| Careful the fun police might show up screaming about "roguelites"

| >>285636 I always try getting into Omega, but then I start the game and I'm just like "what the fuck is even happening" and I turn it off for another few years.

| >>285887 DID SOMEONE SAY FUCKING ROGUELITE?!

| >>285888
Same
But maybe you meant few months, not years? The game only released in 2015 lol
I've been getting quiet far into the game and seen some weird shit but I think I've never finished a single run

| Risk of Rain
Really hard game, but some of the best music I’ve heard in anything ever

| >>286125 seconding, also dead cells

| >>286134 Dead Cells is fine, but I thought it was utterly repetitive.

| >>286125 >>286134
Okay, I really don't want to be "that g/u/rl", but come on, those aren't roguelikes. Especially with copious permanent progression of the second one.

| You guys are confusing roguelikes with roguelites...

| Baroque is pretty neat, check it out if you want something weird

| Hellmoo

| >>286002 what are you talking about? Omega was made in 1988.

| >>e598bc stahp

| This is me the real OP. rogue lites are ok too, and also you don't have to distinguish between the two.

There.

Also Brut@l is an interesting attempt to turn rogue into some kind of fighting game.

| The consuming shadow. Pretty obscure. Lovecraft, elder gods, creepy atmosphere.

| Is Teleglitch obscure? It has "progress" in the sense that once you play certain levels you can start from them like checkpoints, although I pretty much always start from the beginning,sooo idk, I think it's fun af

| ZETTAI HERO PROJECT

| Elona plus

| Rogue legacy,Hack and slash,slay the spire.for the king,dont starve,darkest dungeon,lost castle.They are fun and good games and a great way to start in this genre.

| >>287818
And none of those are actually roguelikes. Good job, g/u/rl.

| >>287827
Ok define rogue like so we can start with every game above to see which is and which isn't.

| >>287837
Please don't define roguelike we'll be here all week.

|

| Ugh, I want to, but i don't want to type it all :tired:

| It's such a dumb argument too, like the fact that people argue about this stuff is ridiculous

| >>287827
See
>>287371

| Roguelike is a fucking genre of turn based rpg, stop calling every game with rng a roguelike just because you think it sounds spicy.

| Why people get so mad about roguelike terminology lmao

| Literally laughing that someone could be so uptight avout what genre you call your videogame

| >>d69fc7 Rogue is a game that was released in 1980, and plays very similarly to Crypt of the Necrodancer on steam, it's main attributes were permadeath, the ability to save, but not reload, and the randomization of levels, if you're seriously going limit a genre just because it's not *turn based*, even when it meets the genre's details, you're a fucking idiot without a brain, if it's LIKE ROGUE, I'm gonna call it a fucking ROGUE-LIKE, and you sir, can go fucking die mad about it

| >>288952 Bait taken

| I actually agree that crypt of the necrodancer is a roguelike. I will die mad about roguelites being called roguelikes tho

| >>288956
Imo Necrodancer is too reliant on its rhythm-based mechanics to be a true roguelike, but it's definitely much closer than most roguelites get.

| >>289061 you can be a bard and then it's quite similar.

| >>289064
Yeah, true. That's just one optional mode though.

| Procedurally generated, dying kicks you back to start, lose progress, these are things thay make it "like rogue"
Roguelite is an arbitrary genre divider that came later because of bitter people like the ones in this thread

| The main reason of the argument is that people dont know(dont care) that games get many tags even when they have a slight resemblance with a genre e.x. you can call nier rpg cuz of the progression system although to the core is an action hack and slash game.And that is the case with rogue like you can call some games rogue like when they have some elements.Its difficult to set a game in a particular genre but you can narrow it to some.

| Lets see how much hate i will get.

| >>289189
Well, I get your point. But still, roguelike has already established itself as a very particular genre, with NetHack or Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup or ADOM, etc.
The main thing that really sets roguelites apart is that the core gameplay is usually not that of a typical roguelike -- platformer action like Rogue Legacy, rhythm game like Crypt of the Necrodancer, twin-stick shooter like Nuclear Throne, you name it.

| Nier is an rpg wtf

| >>289393 platforming? Are you fucking joking me? That's literally like saying SKYRIM isn't a fucking RPG, because it doesn't resemble the FFVII, how can you seriously not realise the ignorance in what you're saying, like>>75d53b it's arbitrary, and tbh, thinking like that is what halts the evolution of the game industry

| >>289779
Well, Skyrim isn't a JRPG and neither is it a CRPG like Baldur's Gate or something.
RPG might be too broad of a term now, anyways, and I do not enjoy seeing roguelike become that as well, especially since it was already well-established before the whole roguelite craze.

| >>289779
Go ahead and tell me Rogue Legacy doesn't involve platforming, lul. That, and copious amounts of permanent progression which is pretty much the point of the game.
I just don't get why it's so hard for people to accept the term roguelite, especially when it's already rather well-known and widespread. Even the fucking devs use it themselves, for crying out loud.

| >>a9c606 obviously it isn't, but the point being made is that RPG still encapsulates the main bulk of what that game is all about

>>bc4e9f 1. I never said rogue legacy wasnt a platformer
2. Just because it contains permanent progression doesn't mean it's not a rogue like, a lack of permanent progression isn't what makes something a rogue like
3. It's only widespread because of ignorant arguments like yours, and I'm p sure the devs use it as a means of avoiding these conflicts

| >>bc4e9f (Cont.)
And even if that wasn't the case, it doesn't really mean anything

Even considering the minimal amount of progression that Rogue Legacy has, it's only there as an alternative means of getting to an end, it's literally just *different* and you want to kick it out of its own genre for it, pretty sure even Rogue(1980) had an end

| Well, Ive heard many things about Tales of Maj'Eyeal, so it might be good. My personal favorite rougelike is Dead Cells.

| Baroque for the Sega Genesis/PS2/Wii is pretty interesting

| I highly recommend Eldritch. First person, retro style, Lovecraft inspired game with stealth elements and really fun gameplay. The difficulty is pretty good, and it has some worlds and shit you can play that aren't the main ones.
The same guy who mad that one has two other ones two. One where you're a Buffy style vampire hunter, and one where you're a spy in a cyberpunk world. All of them are roguelikes, and they're really good.

| Why did this have to be what this thread turned into

| >>290440
Because people are defensive as fuck when it comes to roguelikes, and what's considered a roguelike, and all that bullshit.

| >>290444
And for a reason, because when I ask for a roguelike I want a roguelike, and not another twin-stick spaz-fest with permadeath.

| >>290487
You're not the one who asked for it, if I'm correct. I'd prefer it if OP made the rules for what is roguelike or not.
(Also, what you're saying is basically like asking for a platformer, but if someone recommends you a bad platform you get all defensive and say that it's not a platformer because it's low effort.)

| No one liked my legerdemain recommendation even though it's the most obscure game here. :(

| >>290487
>>287371

| Nobody refuted that that was op so op doesm't give a fuck, you can stop pretending you're not the only butthurt one now

| Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead. It is a roguelike with an open world system. Basically post-apocalyptic with lot of shit to dothe, discover, etc etc

DoomRL is great. And yes, it is Doom, but roguelike. Reaaaaally fucking great

| >>290540
Really bad analogy there, there's a huge difference between a bad low-effort game and a good game with completely different core gameplay mechanics. It's like asking for a platformer and getting a space ship simulator. A good one, but still -- very different kind of game.

| *wants to play a rogue-likes, because they want a challenge*
*starts bitching about the definition of a rogue like because they can't beat the first level of Cuphead*
Disclaimer I've know literally nothing about that game other than that it's hard

| Pixel Dungeon is fun, i play it on the go, i like pixel dungeon cracked so you can save

| >>290797
Well, I can tell that you know nothing about it, because it's not a roguelike. Like, not even if you stretch the definition of roguelike as far as you can, it's not.

| >>290809 >explaining why cuphead isn't a roguelike

Whooooosh

| >>290797
I beat Cuphead on normal, it has nothing to do with roguelikes whatsoever, people who don't know what roguelite is (or those who refuse to accept it, especially those) are a shit.

| >>290827
It's good that you specified that they're not just shit, they're one singular shit.

| >>290827 >>290809 WOWZERS GUYS, THANKS FOR TELLING ME THINGS I ALREADY CLARIFIED, WHAT WOULD I DO IF I DIDN'T HAVE THIS THREAD AT MY DISPOSAL, I AM FOREVER IN YOUR DEBT

| Holy shit. This thread just gets better and better.

| >>3d43b9 <3

| >>fd3f36 <3

| Kono stando powa

| >>290882
If by better you mean worse then it sure does.

| >>291052
By better I mean that it's so ridiculously dumb that it's funny.

| Dungeons of Dredmor is my favorite roguelike. Its like 3 dollars on steam i think.

|

| >>291067
Yeah, no, I got that. But it's already too stupid to be funny imo.

| >>291459
Not for me.

| >>3d43b9 yeah it's pretty clear we're having a good time, but he trying to be a buzzkill, it's okay

| my favourite obscure rougelite is gloom;it resembles bloodborn with its visuals and gamepla, also I have troubles finding it through google

| Duskers

| If you turn off music, Death Road to Canada, first time I played it was without music (Drm-free) loved it, and I though it was dark.
When I got it on Switch and heard the music I though I would never have guessed the music was like that, the music is not that dark at the start of a run, but as you keep advancing the music intensifies as the difficulty and omg you feel like in hell, literally.

| Tales of Maj'Eyal is the best!
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is a good one too

| Delver is a nice roguelike game. It's fairly simple and straight forward, but not to the point of being easy. Definitely one I would suggest looking into.

| >>295516
Yeah! Delver is definitely worth checking out! Good shit.

| grabbed yodanji on my switch and really digging it tbh, it's not super in-depth but it's a nice change of theme

Total number of posts: 91, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1527298750

This thread is permanently archived