danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Favorite RPG battle system?

| I've played through your traditonal Dragon Quest, your real time action bar Final Fantasy 7 and on, your MMO like Xenoblade, your Press turn and 1-more SMT/Persona, and your marios rpg's. I can't really decide what's my preferred system really. Can you?

| I havent played them. But dont forget about action attacks or whatever theyre called. An example could probably be yakuza like a dragons button prompts during an attack for more damage

| Dice rolled clash from ruina is my recent "cool system I like"

| I think Persona 5's turn based system with turn passing is my favorite rpg system. I also liked Bravely Default's system but it wasn't in quite as good of a game. I haven't ever played an mmo system that I liked inherently in the moment to moment.

| PSO2NGS' real time action combat is peak. if only the same could be said about the rest of the game...

| I dunno if I've really played enough RPGs to have a very informed opinion, but bits of systems I've liked are the attack and dodging minigames of the Mario RPGs, the emotion system in Omori, and the way how in Hyperdimension Neptunia (and I assume other similar games, but again I haven't played much) you can equip a bigger sword and get a bigger hitbox. I laughed and laughed at that bigger hitbox.

| Probably xenoblade x
I'm like >>1020669
It probably isn't well designed since the "meta" of the MC alone spamming overdrive with select moves undermines the mechs and team building parts of the game

But I have yet to see another jrpg combat system that lets you break it to such an extent that you can use attacks to do movement tech

break dancing in the air to kill things that were designed with mechs in mind is just so stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r9_0XXYMGE

| Honkai Star Rail's system of elemental weakness + stagger bar + stacking status effects + out-of-turn ultimate + only two skill per character and skill point recharging with every normal attack, is brilliant.

It sounds like a lot, but mid-battle the decision-making is quick and practical. You can tell the combat designers have played a shitload of turn-based RPGs and thought up of a lot of things.

| HSR's combat biggest flaw is because it's a gacha game, its progression system is kind of fucked.

It's hard to tell whether you're just not strong enough for the current area or if you're just stupid, and if you're underleveled, you need to do some boring grind to get up there.

| I also really like Octopath Traveler's Break and Boost system (hitting elemental weakness nth time will stagger enemies, and each turn you gain Boost point that can be stacked and used to power-up your attack).

It makes you think harder about when to use buffs and how to take advantage of them multiplicatively.

| Having sex with the opposing force when they are defeated. Then having them join your party for future uses.

| >>1020739
So you're saying your favorite is Drakengard 3?

| >>1020739
Omg I LOVE that mechanic particularly if they really feel bad about opposing you and you find true love

| Elona's

| Skyrim and Morrowind's
>I'm definitely not Todd Howard

| >>1020830 OMG, why does gurl think they're the Elona ambassador or something?! They can't stop talking about that game and it's getting so old. I mean, I get it, it's their favorite or whatever, but do they really have to spam every thread with Elona this and Elona that? Can't they just have a conversation about anything else for once? It's like they're trying to suffocate us all with their enthusiasm or something

| >>1020849
She needs love, and YOU’RE the one to do it. This is your hardest mission, but you’re my most plapable soldier

| >>1020849 grrr bratty soldiers trying to deny Elonajes/u/s from being on topic, plappable soldiers like you need to take some mouthfucking course ###

| Baldurs gate 3's combat is probably my most liked one at the moment. Love the things you can do in that game combat wise

| Terranigma does it right.
Real time overworld combat, all the time, baby!

| >>1020922
I also really like how Tactics Ogre/Unicorn Overlord does it

| I don't really know how to describe it well and the game I'm thinking off doesn't even have an official name yet, but I'll try
Basically it's JRPG style turn based where you have X actions(AP) per turn as well as a small amount of an MP type thing, and you can spend AP to gain MP or MP to gain AP, but MP is also how you heal and weapon skills cost actions. So it's like constant micro resource management while trying to combo enemies with your weapon skillset

| >>1020609 my fave is by far the AP system from the bravely default series (and technically octopath but I don't like that game and it ripped the mechanic)

It's like a traditional turn based rpg system, but you gain and spend action points that allow you to take extra turns with built up points. You can also spend them without any saved up and go into debt, leaving your character out until they build back up.

| Hack slash

| Don't know if it's my favourite, but Divinity Original Sin 2 does some really fun stuff with manipulating terrain, like creating clouds of cursed electrified blood-steam.

| >>7a0152
They killed an incredible game for no reason. Rip.

Total number of posts: 26, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1721974106

This thread is permanently archived