danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Really Obscure Media Facts

| What's a really obscure thing about your favorite (insert media type here)?

I'm a big fan of Transformers, and a super obscure series in the franchise is called Transformers: Zone (戦え!超ロボット生命体トランスフォーマーZ), which has 23 minutes of an anime (https://youtu.be/tPyvw9u23iY), about three minutes of advertisements, a single manga chapter and like fifteen pages of story pages in TV Magazine (read: advertisements) that tell the *entire* plot of Zone after the anime.

| The super obscure thing about this is that it has probably the first gay relationship in Transformers! And it's not even between two robots! And the only indication of it shows up for like three seconds and like a single image in the story pages. If you watch the video linked above at 13:19 you can see it. Also it's between the two kid characters. Really crazy stuff.

| The two series after Zone (Return of Convoy and Operation Combination) are even more obscure since they have zero shows or any video In a series that is all about video. Basically nobody knows about them.

Anyways, rant over. What's your obscure fact?

| Kanye’s canceled tv show “alligators boots” or something like that

| A fan had made a bomb threat to kojima if they were going to stop making metal gear. Back when bomb threats were cool and not for the gram.

| Episode seven of Haibane Renmei underwent a lot of major revisions during production, including an entire character, named Tsumi, being written in and then cut again. There's no remaining trace of her except a single piece of concept art in volume five of the supplementary annotated scriptbooks, which were never released in English.

| >>957605 i didnt know that

| >>957619
Fun fact: the whole thing with the wings turning black wasn't added until the sixth draft out of seven. Honestly I could probably fill half this thread just with obscure information I know about Haibane Renmei.

| In the first Yugioh series there are some monsters that have the exactly same appeareance but diffrent color palette (an example is Princess of Tsurugi and Queen's Double). It's speculated that Konami made them like that so they had to include less 3D models into the 1999 game Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories.

| >>bfadd7 why was it such a shit show production wise. I don't remember too much but it felt inconsistent in terms of themes compared to other stuff Abe worked on

| Voltes V, a mecha anime, was so popular in the Philippines that the government banned the show from continuing to air

| >>957625 Do it, I love Haibane Renmei, I wanna know more

| >>957665
There were three main reasons: firstly, and most obviously, it was produced by a small team without much budget. Secondly, it was one of the earliest anime to make extensive use of CG, and that didn't always turn out perfectly. Thirdly, there were a lot of struggles with the script of episode seven in particular, as ABe and the rest of the team took a long time to reach a draft that they were happy with. That pushed the production of the entire rest of the series back.

| >>957678
All right~
The writing/sign language can actually be deciphered, at least partially. It's similar to Japanese, being a mixture of gestures using the right hand which are purely phonetic, similar to hiragana/katakana, and gestures using the left or both hands, which carry discrete meanings, similar to kanji. The phonetic gestures more or less map onto the English alphabet, counting upwards in binary with the fingers.

| In terms of specifics: Washi and the Touga's signing in episode two is side on, and doesn't seem to contain many phonetic gestures, so I couldn't decipher anything. Hikari's gestures are gibberish, as she says. The Touga in the well in episode eight signs "DOSITA", probably a transliteration of どうした, meaning "What's wrong". Rakka's coat she wears inside the wall has "KABE", a transliteration of 壁, meaning wall, plus an unknown character.

| I couldn't work out anything from the petrified book, but it does have "OTTE", a Japanese verb conjugation, so it probably does say something at least. Similarly I couldn't decipher much from Kuu's plaque inside the wall, but it does say "KUU" at the top. In episode twelve, Rakka signs "KUU" to Washi.

| The Doorkeeper was originally intended to play a larger role, as he does in Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, the Murakami novel on which the setting of Haibane Renmei is loosely based. As it is, he's only visible for a couple of seconds in episode two during the scene where the Touga arrive at the marketplace.

| Due to the issues with production I mentioned before, episode thirteen was only barely finished in time. The entire script, including two separate drafts, was written in only six days, and at one point in that time ABe's computer malfunctioned such that he lost all his work and had to rewrite most of it from memory. It's a small miracle that the episode exists at all.

| When in art class as a child, ABe came up with a method of hatching by overlapping many small kanji on top of each other. The other students and even the teacher found it creepy, so he didn't use it much afterwards -- but one place he did use it was the paintings on the walls of Reki's nightmare room.

| This isn't that obscure, but it's maybe not obvious if you can't read Japanese: Reki's true name, 轢, and given name, 礫, differ only by the radical on the left, which is why her nametag symbolically breaks in half when her true name changes.

| >>bfadd7
Cool stuff ngl. Thanks for sharing.

Total number of posts: 21, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1685304761

This thread is permanently archived