danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
danger/u/ literature club

| Title

Do g/u/rls know how to read? Do g/u/rls like reading? What kind of books do g/u/rls read?
Manga goes in /a/. Sorry.

I haven't read much lately but I finished a couple of self-help books. I liked Atomic Habits.
Wondering what I could read next. Thinking of delving into more classic territory.

| Ever read the Count of Monte Cristo?

| Recently read The Long War without knowing it was the second book in a series until a good ways into it. Still a solid read, but not Prachett's greatest collab.
>>887630
I really should

| My favorite novels are Douglas Adams' "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy", and "Good Omens", by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Currently working through Pratchett's "Discworld" series, as well as Natsume Soseki's "I Am A Cat".

| >>887646
I read the first book and honestly it didn't impress me at all. The concept is nice, but it was a slog and I cared about literally none of the characters.

| >manga goes in /a/
How dare you!

| >>887719 go commit emotional masturbation while reading about tobacco enjoying angels in your containment board, you stinky weeb

| I've been thinking of reading some classics too, OP. If anyone here wants to recommend me a classic I promise I will read it.

| >>887630
No, but I heard good things about it!
>>887648
Oh, Soseki! I'm also planning on reading some of his work, Kokoro as well.
>>887719
Sorry, this is for *sophisticated* readers, tsk tsk!
>>887753
Russian classic literature is great, if you haven't read any yet. Would be in line with this imageboard, after all. Maybe Dostoevsky or Turgenev?

| >>887755
I read Crime and Punishment and it's incredibly boring. It's just a bunch of angry old men. That's a hard pass for me, dawg.

| >>887760
Really? I loved it. Never finished it though, sadly. Maybe I should pick it back up. What kind of books do you like?

| I’m currently reading the “three body problem” and it’s an interesting way of presenting a scientific problem with a game that is similar to Civilisation and with actual historical scenarios

| >>887763
The Chinese novel? Been a long time since I've read science fiction.

| >>887755
>this imageboard

>>887761
>I loved it. Never finished it though

Is OP retarded?

| >>887895
Yes

| >>887895 https://i.imgur.com/EPvjEMp.png

| >>887630
It's a classic for a good reason.
Lately I've been reading 'sensible chuckle' type books, like Portuguese Irregular Verbs and Three Men in a Boat. It's fun, low stakes, slice of life shenanigans where all the characters take themselves very seriously.

| wat

| Finished Dazai's Metamorphosis, Fahrenheit 451, and Dick's electric sheep. Currently reading No Longer Human. Brave new world, 1984, and Animal farm is on the plan to read list.

Haven't made much progress but hey it's a start, if you've got a recommendation I promise I'll read it... one day at least..

| >mfw OP is a brainlet

| >>888030
>Daizai's Metamorphosis
This is giving me an aneurysm.

| I'm reading Simone de Beauvoir's "The second sex".
Interesting feminist book.

| Read a book on trauma called the body keeps score. Insightful read on the progression of electrodes to SSRIs and the mechanics of trauma. Will probably reread.

| I recently started the journeyer by Gary Jennings haven't read much but I enjoy the writers overall tone

| Currently reading Voltaire's Treatise on Tolerance. It's kind of amazing that the idea of religious tolerance had been around so far back.

| Oh, and I have Dune on my backlog.

And I'm not sure if this counts as a 'book', but I've been really enjoying Worm.

| Armageddon Rag by George R.R. Martin. It's all about 60s counterculture and dropping acid and stuff. Almost ruined his career too.

| >tfw no Monika in my life
Such is the suffering we endure

| Just Monika. Best yandere ever. For this we love her.

| Trying to read up a little bit on economics. Picked Carl Menger's "Principles of Economics".

| I'm trying to finish “Debt: The First 5000 Years" by David Graeber. It's good anthropology and surprisingly free of ideology. If you're interested in economics (and why so much of current economics seems only half correct) you should give it a look.

>>887760 No, Crime and Punishment is about angry old men and one sad young man. My recs for more exciting classics are Catch-22, Fahrenheit 451, and Invisible Man (by ralph ellison not hg wells).

| >>889334
Debt: The First 5000 Years seems like an interesting one. I'll definetly place an order for it the next time I order books, which should be sometime next week.

I've read Catch-22 and Fahrenheit 451 so I might give Invisible Man a go then. Thanks for the recommendations.

Total number of posts: 32, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1660854338

This thread is permanently archived