danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
translations of classics

| hi g/u/rls! does anyone know if there are english translations of Homer's work (particularly Illiad) that uses original pantheon naming conventions instead of Roman ones (like Athena/Minerva, Poseidon/Neptune and all that)
i just find the roman ones to be so distracting, I didn't even know who is being adressed from the first verses (apparently, that was Zeus of all deities, but the narrative didn't even use the more known "Jupiter" instead)

| tldr it's weird to read greek classics with an extra layer of roman localization and it messes with my reading comprehension something fierce, pls send help

| Pussyidon is the God of cringe

| Have sex and have fun

| >>877920 imagine being a nerd who fucks, can't relate

| A. T. Murray uses the Greek pantheon in his translation of The Iliad as far as I'm aware.

Many of the translations from 1900 and onwards use the Roman pantheon (some translators were even told to change their translation to use the Roman pantheon instead). This is because of a trend at the time for the British to consider themselves the descendants of the roman empire. I can only imagine that many of the modern translations follow this convention for similar reasons.

| After looking a bit more into it, Richmond Lattimore uses the Greek pantheon in his translation of the Iliad as well. The translation was published more recent as well, which means you're more likely to find epubs of his translation online.

Hope this helps.

| >>877942 omg thank you So Much aaaaaaaa
now i can finaly get what the hype is about, the amount of literary analysis work for it is Unreal, can't wait to get my grubby mitts on it

| >>877941 well, the british can go and drown i guess
why keep the original flavour and translate from direct source when you can make a translation telephone outta that, using the extra layer to look FaNcY and gain status peacock points

| Did Homer wrote something? I thought he was a fictional character from cartoon.

| >>877955 exactly lmao

Total number of posts: 11, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1656810941

This thread is permanently archived