danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Comedy ain't comedy

| I feel like comedy has changed a lot. I'd like to hear you g/u/rls opinions on this, but to me it seems like the shit that's labeled comedy ain't really comedy rn, and the place where you find the haha funny shit is, like, random internet places like YT or TT or other sites.

Cause, like, look at stand-up comedy and comedy specials and shit. Like, now that's basically just controversial takes and preaching (like Chappell and Gervais) or smaller "comedians" talking shit about those.

| Like, maybe it's because I've kinda given up on that kinda media, but every time I see or hear about "comedy" stuff there's no funny shit there. Just politics and preaching said with a jokey delivery, but with no or barely any actual jokes. Like, sure, comedy has always had opinions and shit mixed in, but making it funny should be the main focus, not the other way around.

But on the other hand, online creators are usually the shit that's actually funny, you know?

| it's all gay politically correct nonsense.

| Like, might just be and the people and communities around me, but when someone's talking about something funny or some comedy shit it's usually from online content.
Idk if that started with Vine or where that comes from, but it seems to be like the focus for online haha funny content is to make it funny, and that "comedy" is shifting to be more, idk. Just arguing with occasional laughs?

But, yeah. What do y'all think?

| >>871445
Idgaf about people's opinions on the political shit or whatever in this thread. Only reason I bring it up is because all the "comedians" rn seem to either make their whole thing about either "fuck politically correct that's dumb and here's why, and also pretend like what I'm saying is funny" or "those other comedians make their whole thing about not being politically correct and that's dumb and here's why, and also pretend like this is funny"
It's all rants with no humour.

| link sone examples?

| >>871448some*

| >>871451
Literally. Like, no matter what side they're on, it's just rants about those topics. And, I mean, those topics can honestly be pretty good for jokes, but they never make any jokes. They just treat shows like a Twitter thread.

>>871448
I mean, just search up recent stuff from any comedians. Obvious examples due to size and how much they're talked about would be the examples I mentioned earlier, but it's almost all the recent comedy specials and shows from big comedians.

| I always found Kevin Bridges stand up pretty good I'd you like Scottish humor.

| >>871468
You know, fair. Some Scottish comedians are an exception for sure. They're still holding onto the spirit of comedy over there.

| I disagree. I find both of your examples funny, while a lot of what's "comedy" on YouTube is just a rehashing of the same jokes that have been done since 2003.

| Comedy is always changing, basically exactly like language. You don't speak the same way as your parents the same way you don't laugh at the same jokes.

I find stand-up comedians tend to be old, and their jokes appeal to the older people. It makes sense that, if you're young, you find random internet memes funnier.

| >>871446
> might just be and the people and communities around me
No, this is exactly it. The people around you shape your sense of humour, the same way they shape the language you speak.

| Behold! Pure Comedy below!

Amogus

| >>871453
Name at least 3 comedians.

| >>871507
Sure, my sense of humour, yeah. But even when I don't laugh at something or it's not for me I can still tell that it's funny, you know? It's like with music. I might not personally like a song, but I can still tell that it's a good and why it's good, you know?
But, some of these comedians just barely have anything that even resembles a joke in their sets. They just rant. I even see fans of them gladly admitting that. That's why I don't understand it.

| >>871506
I actually tend to not like random internet memes very much, but with most of them I can at least tell why they're supposed to be funny, and they're usually not 10 pages of politics.

>>871494
I'm talking about the internet as a whole, not just YT, and even YT is a very varied platform, so I don't think that's true for most of it.
But, sonfe you like them, I'm curious. Why? And I'm not talking their old stuff. Why do you find their newer stuff funny? What about it, yk?

| *since
Cause I'm genuinely curious. To me it just seems like politics with a laugh track. So, like, is it that that's what you enjoy? Or is it something else?

| >>871568
With those two in particular it's mainly the poking fun at current mainstream politics.

Chappell has always been a political/shock comedian. I'm capable of laughing at the jokes about white people, and a large part of his comedy is about *how* he tells his stories. The delivery is what makes them humorous.

Ricky Gervais I enjoy more because he's got some understated humor. His most recent special wasn't his best work, but Humanity was hilarious, and his show AfterLife

| is both spot on and still sorta funny, as I deal with suicidal thoughts & depression regularly.

| >>871568
Humor, like all art, is open to interpretation however. If you don't see the humor in it, that just means you don't have the same perspective on life as I do.

| >>871572
That's kinda the thing though for me. To me it doesn't seem like they really are poking fun at mainstream politics. Cause that's usually both interesting and funny, and I've seen people do that and do it funny. But those two in particular, from what I've seen, are just participating in it, not making fun of it. Am I wrong in saying that? Like, most of the stuff I see them say is same shot as what a majority or at least a good 50% of the public seems to think already.

| Again, may be where I live or what I see or whatever, but the comedians who advertise themselves as being against/making fun of mainstream politics never seem to do that. They just pick a side and pretend like their side is a minority and that they're brave or funny for repeating shit that's already been said thousands of times already and just ranting about it for an hour or two. Idk.
Don't get me wrong btw, there's a time and a place for content like that, but I don't see it...

| as comedy. It's more like mildly entertaining preaching imo.

>>871575
Yeah, nah, agreed. But for me it's more the label of the genre, right? Cause I see plenty comedy shit that I don't find funny at all, but format and content wise it is very clearly comedy.
But this thing that so many comedians are doing now ain't really that. You can't turn on a comedy show/special nowadays if you want an hour or two of jokes, because that's not what it is anymore. It's like a different genre.

| I've gone back and read this thread several times, and its given me a lot to think about. I have gone down the route of Socrates, that is to say, I have resorted to questioning this topic in of itself.

What is comedy in the first place? As far as my flawed mind can recall, all "comedy" has always been at the expense of something or other. I have not heard an instance of comedy that has not been the deconstruction of a flaw in it's target subject.

| >>872114 I think that's sort of mean! Don't you? I hate all comedians fuck jokes I hate jokes.
Why can't everyone just be nice to each other

| >>872114 >>872115
Remember to take your pills homie

| >>871447 I agree so much
I'm so tired of politics in everything
Can't people just chill and try to enjoy stuff without making it about their politics for once? It's so annoying it's so tiring it's so stupid

| >>872291
As I said earlier, I generally don't mind politics. Politics in art has always been a thing and comedy is no exception. But some people just completely strip their art of any, well, art, and then all that's left is just political rants given to people who wanted entertainment.

| Big comedians only know how to punch down and whine about whatever liberals are saying that particular week. They all watched George Carlin but are too dumb to understand why he was funny and just decided cursing a lot was good enough

| >>872334
A lot of them, true. At least the "counter culture" side of things. Funniest part of that has to be the fact George Carlin openly hated the style of "comedy" those people use and never did it himself.

| I LOVE CUMTOWN

BEST COMEDY PODCAST OF THE CENTURY

| Did someone say cum? 0¬0

| bitches be shopping

| We have big comedians in my country that never do or say anything political at all in their shows. Like this dude for example https://youtube.com/watch?v=M_AAxRIi8EE

| >>873225
That's cool. I'm glad!
Idk Dutch though.

Total number of posts: 36, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1655583316

This thread is permanently archived