danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
aw shit here we go again

| every once in a while I get freaked out about being in this body. like, ofc my consciousness is in the brain, but why am I connected to this specific brain? *what* am I? **where** am I??

| you are awarenesses. your mind is only a mirror with which you identity

| "[...]the real subject, the individual in his unique essence, has not the form of an ego, centered on the “ego”, on “consciousness” or on “existence” – wether this is the existence of the for-itself, of the body-proper or of “behaviour” – the human subject is de-centered, constituted by a structure which has no “centre” either, except in the imaginary misrecognition of the “ego”, i.e. in the ideological formations in which it “recognizes” itself."
—Louis Althusser

| and yes, i know, the quote is incomprehensible unless you reread it like 20 times. it's the words of a french philosopher, translated by the kind of person who enjoys reading french philosophers. sorry.

| >>860486 Sure, but what about YOU? as far as I am concerned, I'm the only awareness *provable to me* to exist. Therefore, the follow up question is: why me?

After all, the world could have gone on perfectly the same, with this body moving and thinking the exact same way as I do right now, without "me" being aware of it. Why do I have to be here, just to suffer it?

| >body moving and thinking the exact same way as I do right now, without "me" being aware of it.

are you always aware? what about when you sleep? what about when you get knocked out? what if you died and were brought back to life? perhaps you are a temporary being, recording memories for future other (You)s to pick up the act from? what if those memories were lost? what if those memories were edited? what if your memories up until this point have been entirely the artificial...

| ... construction of a demon who exists only to deceive you? what if there's another body out there with the exact same set of memories?

you are not the center of THE universe, but the center of A universe, a universe of your own creation. you have to be in it because when you interpret your sensory inputs, you draw objects and sensations into and around yourself. thus, you aren't here just to suffer but to cause yourself suffering as well.

| >>860575
> thus, you aren't here just to suffer but to cause yourself suffering as well.

damn you are right. not only I'm suffering I'm also causing my own suffering, and potentially others' suffering. but at the same time I'm also able to feel joy, so maybe it's fine to stay here for a bit longer.

| > what if there's another body out there with the exact same set of memories?

I mean, memories are kinda different matter altogether aren't they? since I can't remember any other lives, it's safe to assume the memory is attached to the body and I'm simply accessing them.

but it also means awareness ain't shit.

| > are you always aware? what about when you sleep?

since I can experience dream, my awareness still exist, just not receiving any inputs or being able to form cohesive thought, which is the foundation of making intentional decisions to affect the world.

so both thought and memories are attached to the body. for all intents and purposes, this human person body isn't "me".

it'd be nice if I can detach from it, but then I'll stop thinking. maybe that's the point though.

Total number of posts: 10, last modified on: Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1652923722

This thread is permanently archived