danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
The thing I love the most is also what brings me the most sadness

| I love drawing, I FUCKING love drawing, before I did this I never really felt like I could enjoy something this much, didn't even think I could love doing something I enjoyed, it has been more than 5 years since I've started taking it seriously, and believe when I tell you, this is what I live, it makes me so happy to draw, to really see my massive progress, even tho I have much to learn and get better I feel happy and proud for myself...

| And now more that I've showed myself I can draw more than 150 times a year easily and progress faster than I've ever have progressed with drawing, and more with art school and a lot of resources and friends and communities I've at hands reach.
But it also hurts me so fucking much, I'm always depressed I'm not good enough, that I'm not grinding as hard as I should be, that I wasted my time, that I should've started sooner, pushed myself harder

| And I just can't get those thoughts out of my head for as irrational as they may be, I know it's my former depression making me feel like shit but it hurts so much, it hurts that I'm not able to give me credit for all that I do and create most of the time.
And then I get into panic attacks over whether I will be able to live off this, about if I will feel this way my whole life, if my art can even sell, about how many times I've been made to believe my art sucks by other people

| It's so fucking hard man... I love it, I love doing it, but dread everything that comes before and after, the worries I may not be able to do something, the pain of seeing it not being appreciated or appealing to people, I'm just so sad and desperate for a reason to keep going, my socials haven't grown in so long, no one buys commission except once a year and I've been making them cheaper and cheaper as year go by

| I work harder an harder and harder on improving but I get nothing out of it and... I just wanna feel like I'm doing a good job, that what I do has it purpose and sometimes better will come, I just wanna hear that I'm a good or nice artist, that people believe I'm doing my best, that my art is cute/cool/good/nice-looking WHATEVER I JUST WANNA FEEL IT ALL ISN'T FOR NOTHING THAT I WILL BE OK WITH MY ART

| Ehhh... a realist...

| *hug*

| I love sex.

| May I… see your art…?

| You're doing good, op

| You're a good artist. Don't ever doubt that. For me, social media is a big mind fuck that I had to distance myself from. Posting a piece of art I spent hours making and get ZERO fucking engagement is not fun.

| >>823223
https://twitter.com/LaPrettyDorito

| >>823011 If reality is this... Then fuck, g/u/rl... May reconsider hanging myself... No matter if philosophy says one always does it late, I will save myself so much shit nonetheless...

| >>823017 thanks g/u/rl

| >>823230 thank u...

| >>823235 it really isn't... But with the pandemic and shit... Fuck man, idk if there's any other avenue to show my stuff

| >bio

| >>823250
It's rough and imperfect, that much is true - assuming you wanna aim for a smoother, average-anime-artist type of vibe. But no artist I've ever met or seen made strides in progress over a few nights. To this day, a furry gal I know retweets art refs, tips on drawing certain things, dos-and-don'ts, and posts... well, her own art. Which is good stuff! But it still has its sketch-ish imperfections; certain areas where YOU, as the viewer, think "eh this could've been better."

| But... that's art. You've heard this one before, but Rome wasn't built in a day. It took time, effort, sweat, tears, and certainly a helluva lot of patience. However, it did *burn* in a day - and by constantly letting that anxiety and uncertainty overpower you, you too are letting your Rome burn before that shit's even finished.

Be a lil' uncertain. Take criticism as it comes; just don't take it in full. But keep struggling.

| No se mate mija, usted es la salvacion de mexico hermanita, tiene que culturizar a los muchachos y muchachas con su arte basado y entretenido.
Te dire que no es necesario "buscar un proposito para vivir la vida", life...
It's always more. More than you can imagine or think about. Just wait, and you'll see! Keep enjoying the little things in your life, they are more valuable than you think.

Keep going girl, you're gonna make it.

Le recomiendo ver al Esquizofrenia Natural jeje

| >>823272 yeah, that's true and I try to always learn and have references by my side, but being honest my last two post were fairly rushed... Outside of that I've been trying to learn how to take more time with pieces bc as you said Rome wasn't built in a day, and I know I can make really good shit if I take my time but well... but the algorithm doesn't like me taking time, so yeah...

| Ok, went and saw through my post and yeah, maybe it has been more than my last couple post lol.
But here's an example I wanted to show ya
https://twitter.com/LaPrettyDorito/status/1474643007504883713
I know that with time and references, well, I can do a lot more polished stuff, and I've been aiming to make my art bigger and faster, it's tough most times but I try, really hard, I still don't know where I wanna take my style I just let the pen take me, and that's fun too!
>>823272

| >>823276 Coincido, sé que quiero dibujar, no sé si es el propósito de mi vida o una mamada del estilo, sólo sé qué es lo que quiero hacer, y lo tomó como eso.
Mis amigos me han dicho que vea al Esquizo tmb pero siempre me da weba, algún día tho, gracias por los ánimos

| >>823282
>the algorithm doesn't like me taking time
On whose time are you working: on yours, or on a half-mindless system's?
It's not the algorithm you should pay attention to - not in a million years, by ANY stretch of imagination - it's yourself. If you *know* your works look and are presented better solely by the token of taking longer, then you ought to know that *that* is your path to making your shit Real Good™. Not "oh man what if the algorithm doesn't like this one??".

| >>823283
See this? This is good! If you wanna get nitpicky, then sure, it could use more detailing or subtle linework or whatever ungodly shit pro artists do these days - but that's irrelevant! At a glance, it just looks *nice*!
Fuck the algo. Works like these attract viewers almost out of thin air. Word-of-mouth has its place in social media, and it's damn effective when it works. If you REALLY wanna get it out there, drop a # - certain hotshot artists or creators...

| ...usually have a thing where they promote a hashtag for artists that want to present themselves and their works to a broader, intrigued audience. And while that's good, it too takes a bit of time and traction.

Bottom line: Digital artistry is a thing of nurture, of patience, of fuckin' care. If it's something you truly wish to pursue - give it some love and a good deal of time. It'll feed you back eventually.

| My philosophy in life is to be more like Red Letter Media. Fuck the algorithm, fuck the sponsors, fuck those cock suckin' corpos, fuck my fans, fuck my haters, fuck the very notion of conventional and accessible media, fuck success, and most of all, fuck me. Gotta burn that wick at your own pace. Let the wind blow whichever way it will, but desperately cradle the flame of your passions. All easier said than done. It stings, it's stifling. I get it. Good luck.

| You've got it all wrong, OP. You're thinking too much about the results, the end product, but loving art is about the process. Take the time to enjoy painting just because you're painting because believe you me, there are a lot of things you could be doing that are a whole lot less enjoyable. Don't worry about whether it's good or not, because ultimately you'll get there and not being good is part of the journey, and the journey can be quite long.

| Personally not my thing, looks like stuff I'd see on deviant art. Doing your own stuff is cool but if you want eyeballs just need to focus on technical skill and stuff that is popular from time to time.

There's a lot of good art out there so refine your skill and then hit a niche that you and a decent amount of people enjoy. Even then you'll probably need partime or contract work though.

| >>823341
That said, making money off of your art - it's fucking hard, and it has less to do with being good at making art and more about being good at hustling. I've seen art from successful working artists that is, to be nice, fucking trash in terms of artistic skill. But they know how to hustle, so they make money. You need to decide what avenue you want to take your art before you even think about making money off of it, because that will tell you how to hustle it.

| >>823343
One of the key things about being a working artist is that often you won't be drawing or painting what you want to paint, but what you're told to paint or expected to paint. Being a working artist isn't all rainbows and sunshine, and getting into or even finding your niche can be a journey in itself - it's why most artist have a day job. That's just the reality of things.

| >>823344
That all said, if you just want to improve, my number 1 tip - life drawing. Life drawing is not only the best way to improve, it's incredibly fun. once you get past the weirdness of having a naked person just standing there for you to ogle, it's a blast, and you can learn an immense amount. My own art improved more from 6 hours of drawing from the model once a week for a semester than it did in the previous four years, it is absolutely the best.

Total number of posts: 32, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1641858367

This thread is permanently archived