danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Help with transplaning

| Got into a discussion with my sister on gender dysphoria being a mental illness that shouldn't be catered to. Making the comparison that in the someone who is bulimic shouldn't be told it's okay to be unhealthy thin.

I explained that gender and meeting beauty expectations are different but she brought up sui rates and how people will start identifying as black if we cater to this type of mental illnesses.

And how we shouldn't reinforce gender constructs by chopping bits off.

| The whole try to be happy with the characteristics you were born with thing.

I've had this conversation before with other people but we just arrived at an impasse of toleration rather than acceptance.

Any tips formulating a better discussion?

| >>219af1 not trans, just surprised considering they're fairly progressive on other stuff.

And then talked about Chappell show and stepped on a landmine

| It's really just not worth the effort most of the time. People who say these things never get past thinking "ew he cut his dick off!!11!"

| >>808523
Ironic that you say this

| >>219af1 no worries
>>005ab3 it was weird though, she framed it as if everyone should be fine with how they were born and shouldn't feel the need to conform in terms of genitals

There's probably a disgust reflex in there but not something you can parse, just guess at

| Could she may be a terf? :O
They are "progressive" with a lot of things, feminism, gender equality, etc. But don't accept trans people.

Hopefully, she is not, and she's just a bit overwhelmed

| You will never be a woman. You can not force every person to obey your lunacy. You follow a cult of delusion which preys on the insecure and confused. Join the 41%

| >>808576 extremely, dangerously, based.

| >>808576 >>808581
tyler durden much?

| There's a number of different angles you can take here. If you just want to respond to her arguments, you can show her the scientific evidence that trans healthcare vastly increases self-reported body confidence and decreases suicide rate to barely above that of cis people. You can point out that being bulimic/anorexic causes actual health problems whereas being male/female/non-binary does not. You can point out that the gender binary is a very western construction,

| and many native societies have more than two genders (e.g. two-spirit, fa'afafine, hijra, etc.). You can show how the gender binary does not simply passively happen but is violently enforced through intersex genital mutilation.

At the end of the day, though, it's hard to get through to people with evidence alone. You will get further by attempting to foster compassion towards individual trans people. Try something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AITRzvm0Xtg

| What this g/u/rl is saying >>808630 >>808631

I'm personally trans (genderfluid), so I have to deal with this kinda shit on the daily. There's sadly not much else to do. Transphobes are transphobes, no matter what they call themselves. If they refuse solid evidence and hundreds and thousands of years of human history + science, just to keep their outdated colonial "beliefs", then they're too far gone. Not much to do about it.

| The compassion thing can kinda work. A friend of mine used to go around saying "genderfluid isn't a real thing and people who claim to be genderfluid just do it for attention", but when I, someone he's known since he was literally 1 year old and has always been there for him, came out him and told him a bit about how it works and my experiences with gender and my time in therapy etc, then his mind completely changed.
But, some people are so delusional they stop seeing you as human.

| So if science, history and tons of evidence doesn't work. If compassion and trying to make them understand through trans people sharing their stories and explaining the emotional side of things doesn't work. If they can't accept that their bigotted "opinions" are just that, well, then I'm sorry. They ain't gonna change. Not anytime soon at least.
Time might make them more open, but it could also do the opposite. If exposure and facts doesn't work, it's just out of anyone's control.

| >>808634
Your XY chromosomes
Your ribcage
Your adam's apple
Your soon-to-come male pattern baldness
Your narrow hips
Your broad shoulders
Your square jaw
Your big ass hands and feet

| See what I mean? Some people are just too far gone. Ain't nothing to do about it.

| >>808667 exactly, you're giving out the best advice possible, there's no other way to deal with those people

| >>808667 >>808668
Very ironic that you say this...

| >>161142 on terf island so possibly, though i can understand
why she would be. People who are victims of abuse can get paranoid about trans people entering "female spaces" even tho its unjustified.

>>f324f5 well thats the thing they would agree and say that you shouldn't obsess over gender because it's oppressive

>>9cb0fe quick Q, do you find that you land on one gender more than another. Never met someone who was gender fluid

It's odd, real wombo combo of progres and regres

| Trannyism is basically a conspiracy theory, on-par with flat earth theory

Conspiracies are immune to evidence, as the quote goes
It's a choose-your-own-facts buffet

| >>808677
Kind of, but not really? I tend to find myself somewhere in-between, but it varies a lot. Sometimes it's almost completely on one side of the spectrum, sometimes just no gender at all, but majority of the time for me personally it's somewhere in-between.

| Imagine my confusion after misreading the title as "Help with transplanting", and no one was talking about plants lol

| >>808740
I'm gonna be honest, I thought the same thing, and I had no idea why the "transplanting" thread was about transphobic sister, but I just didn't question it.

| I think the big acceptance issue you run into as *groups* is a mix of 'I demand to be treated as -gender" when the people being demanded of were raised and taught not to treat people based on gender; and the issue with "I identify as -gender, you find -gender attractive, therefore you should find me attractive".

Doing things for yourself is fine, but you never have the right to demand someone else take your viewpoint. No one does.

| >>808660 these traits alone aren't an issue, but the fact is, most men are ugly as hell. Hormone therapy doesn't fix that.

| >>808756
"The big acceptance issue" is rampant misinformation, stereotypes, fears and systems that have been ingrained in society worldwide since the colonial days.
"The big acceptance issue" is transphobes being in government and other positions of power throughout the world.
"The big acceptance issue" is people believing weird shit about us that's not based in reality, assuming it applies to the majority of us and then using that to say it's our fault people don't accept us.

| >>808760
XY and XX is your big acceptance issue

| >>808760 nah. If I don't intend to have sex with you, whatever you identify as has no bearing on any of our interactions, unless you try to make it an issue.

If you do try to make it an issue, or tell me how I'm supposed to think, I will oppose you because fuck anyone who does that.

If someone's so mentally fragile that having the wrong pronoun applied to them by someone who just doesn't care makes them suicidal, then they deserve to die.

| >>808895
Nobody is trying to force you to have sex with them. Nobody is trying to make it an issue. People don't base their lives around you. You have a complex.

Trans people breaking down and killing themselves over being called the wrong pronouns is a ridiculous stereotype. Nobody does that. Usually they don't even correct people.
The only pronoun related thing we ask is that if you already know our pronouns, you use them. Aka common decency. Aka don't be childish.

| And with that I'll stop feeding the trolls. Sorry OP.

| >>808909
Ooh so you admit it! Wonder why they're killing themselves them, maybe mental illness, ha!
Being tranny is bad idea

| >>9cb0fe it's okay, probably don't bother if they're bad faith in their statements

| >>808932
I usually don't. The first one seemed genuine. Second one made it obvious it was bait, but, eh. If it's my own thread I sometimes respond anyways just for the sake of information spreading and out of boredom, but after the second reply I remembered it ain't my thread, so, my bad.
I hope you figure things out with your sister!

Total number of posts: 34, last modified on: Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1638285398

This thread is permanently archived