danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
do people really change for the better?

| or do people rarely want to change?

| sometimes.

change takes effort and most people don't put in effort unless they see value in it.

| People do tryout different sex positions to have a better experience. So, yes.

| Depends on the person. Some people do, some people don't. If they genuinely want to, then they will. At least with some direction. If they don't want to and aren't willing to be persuaded, then they won't.

| >>806044 but such persuasion work in order for someone to realize the need for them to be better? majority of changes that are lead from that usually isn't permanent

| >>806162
Persuade is probably the wrong word. I'm talking more, like, encouraging?
(Not native in English, sorry)
But, basically, do things to kinda make them realise it on their own. Like a little push. If you think someone has it in them to change and it would benefit them to be better but they don't realise it, but you make them realise it and help them with the process. If that makes sense.

Doesn't always work, but sometimes it does, and those times it's goodie.

| In this regard, I've got a little story to tell...
Before I wisened up and stopped wasting my life on teaching, I received this group of fourth graders. Where I live, the fourth grade is where the curriculum expands to cover a lot more subjects, including art. The lady in charge of their art class was a bit of an older woman, closer to retirement, and sadly got sick around the beginning of the year.
1/x

| The headmaster requested that I sub in for her, and having received fairly decent instructions, I was put in charge of the first class during which the children would actually use paints. Just acrylic on plain white paper, with the goal of getting them used to it and hopefully not making a mess of themselves and the whole class.
They got their basic reminder of how to use paint (mixing and the like, but again, nothing too severe) and a topic: landscape.
2/x

| Now, the kids were happy enough - perhaps too happy, I had to calm them down a bunch - to participate, and more or less everyone had something presentable to hang on the wall, as you do. Makes them feel prouder of themselves.
Now, there was this one girl, let's call her Anya, who did not paint anything. Not too proud of it, but you do overlook those sorts of things. No trouble means no trouble, right?
3/x

| Well, no. Anya was sitting there - she wasn't rejecting the instructions out of spite or anything. A brief interview revealed she was simply *that* anxious about painting. Something in her little brain insisted that she can't paint.
I told her to put a dot on the paper.
She resisted a bit. She can't paint, she said. A bit of insisting on my part later, she did put that dot on the paper. A big red dot in the middle of the page. Then I had her sign it, and onto the wall it went.
4/x

| During the next lesson - the teacher in charge was still missing - I showed this red dot in front of the whole class and acted real pleased with it. And that little bit of encouragement made Anya confident of her own ability to perform. Somewhere near the end of the semester, just before I quit, I heard she had qualified for an art competition of sorts. I don't miss the place? But I wish I were able to check up on where Anya is now and how she is doing.
5/5

| As you said, it takes the people having the will and support for it to happen, but they most generally do

| >>207cfb
Aww, that's a really cute story.

| >>806207 this is honestly wholesome. I never expected it from this site.

| I guess in conclusion, people can change if they want to but only once they see the value in in can they push through with it. I think it's easier for children in that regard.

Adults, however, is a whole different story.

| It depends a lot... Some people want to change but don't know how to do so, and end up doing the same things and commiting the same mistakes.
Some are stuck in a cycle of self loathing and harming others.
Some simply don't want to change.
Others, however, recognize their mistakes and end up changing
As i said before, it depends a lot on the person and the situation, and the mistakes commited.

Total number of posts: 16, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1637509536

This thread is permanently archived