danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Solarpunk

| Does anybody heard of it? Very interesting type of utopia. Suggest to discuss it.

| Would be nice, but I just don't care anymore.
Resigning myself to the fact that the planet's broken takes a lot of responsibility off my shoulders.
At least the descendants of the people responsible will be dead like the rest of us, so there'll be *some* semblance of justice.

| >>802432
I agree with your arguments, but I don't wanna be dead `cause of climat or that sort of things, g/u/rl. And so I don't wanna be in despair. I want a hope and a brighter perspective. Don't you too?

| I used to play the pen and paper RPG back in the early 2000s and that's about the extent of my experience with the setting.

Some people claim that Castle in the Sky and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind can be considered solarpunk though, at least aesthetic wise. Outside of desert stuff the aesthetics of solarpunk tend to be absolutely gorgeous. It helps if you're already into art noveau.

| >>802524
What do you mean about "outside of desert stuff"?
I don't know about "Castle in the Sky" or "Nausicaä" being solarpunk-considered, but it is very possible variant. I'm sure "Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou" is considered, do you know it?
Btw, put couple of solarpunk playlists. Vaporwave adopted the genre well.
https://archive.org/details/solarpunk-a-possible-future-w66kbw
https://archive.org/details/solarpunk-a-brighter-perspective-pbmvxw

| >>802575
I mean nothing by it, really, I'm just sick of seeing it everywhere because it's very prominent in solarpunk art.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō seems interesting, but even though I'm very into the SOL genre this was a little too slow paced for me so I never read it.

Thanks for the playlists btw. I'll give them a spin.

| Man, I can't find anything about the RPG I played. I'm certain it was named "Solarpunk" or maybe even "Sol". All I know is it must've been before 2003 and it was the first real pen and paper RPG I played.

| >>802625
You see solarpunk art everywhere you go? G/u/rl, where are you living? I see only the worst cyberpunk vibes. And it's fucking disgusting. I am sick of it.
I really love SOL as a genre, but each person has his own taste. And I can understand minuses you mean.
>>802626
I am trying to find it. If you've got more clues - you're welcome.

| I'm into solarpunk I think. I also want other kind of "hypothetic futures" that aren't just pesimistic stuff.
I hope the solarpunk genre can get more popularity if we manage to stabilize the climatic change a little.
Maybe then we'll realize of the great things that good people can do when they work together with a common goal.

| >>802773
Yeah, I agree! I am thinking through steps of changing our world sometimes, but my theoretical knowledges are very superficial and inaccurate, so these are just my (sometimes radicalized) dreams.
Do you know any books of Solarpunk genre, friend?

| >>802791 I do not know any solarpunk books sadly. I'm very new to this aesthetic! I didn't know solarpunk existed until like a week ago hehe

| >>802831
New people = increasing of adherent numbers. So welcome to the society of future!
First of all, I advise you to start with the Solarpunk Manifesto – "Solarpunk: Ecological and Fantastical Stories in a Sustainable World". It's an almanac of dedicated stories. Platinum essential.

| >>802858 thanks you for your welcoming words and your amazing recommendation solar comrade.

| Solarpunk is basically 『 HUMANITY SUCCESS 』

| >>802949 and that's awesome.

| OH SHIThttps://files.catbox.moe/ueazpg.epub I slipped!

| >>802983 I can only use pdf :c

| >>802992
What a story Mark

| >>802992
Научи се да използваш Okular, ти калмаре.

| >>802983
Yeah, bro, that fits!
>>802992
Convert it.
>>803000
Speak english, dude, multinational language, blah-blah, that sort of things.

| I used to like watching videos on electric vehicles and green energy, fantasizing about a cleaner Earth, before they exploit poor countries of their cobalt and lithium, turning them into shitholes. I now satisfy my dreams of a utopia with stuff on public transportation like trains and nuclear energy, both of which each industry are actively lobbying against respectively, despite how much better they are. This is the true solarpunk future.

| >>803069
Dunno about nuclear energy, not sure, I mean. Tell me more of how you imagine it, please.
Personally, I think of solar power combined with Tesla invented type of electricity. And so water power, wind power, biofuel and incinereted waste. But I'm unsure of how to build such energy economics.

| >>803078 You mean alternating currents? Westinghouse won that battle long ago actually. Idk what else you mean about Tesla Hydro power only works if the whole river is in the same country, otherwise you get geopolitical messes like China vs India and Ethiopia vs Egypt. Biofuel is too niche. Solar uses too much heavy metals.

| Nuclear is the way to go, because it produces multitudes of any other energy source. Sure, nuclear waste and all that, but like I said earlier 'clean' energy isn't so clean where they harvest the materials from, not where it's used. Besides, nuclear waste can still be useful. Depleted uranium is used in the military, leftover plutonium can be used in thorium reactors, which is even more efficient than normal reactors. Fusion is also making great strides, removing the waste part.

| >>803080 I meant to put a period between Tesla and Hydro

| >>803080
Yeah, I mean alternating currents actually.
As for hydropower, I think if we use Russia as an example, everything will be fine. And it's the same for big countries like USA, Brazil, Australia, etc. But if we still consider geopolitical messes - solarpunk also have an answer: countries are abolished.
What about nuclear way - in my opinion it is very dangerous game. All of us have seen the "peaceful atom", Hirosima and Nagasaki and the Caribbean Crisis.

| >>803082 Do we have a name for this "hypothetic future" that portrays a widespread use of efficient, clean and wasteless Nuclear Fusion? I mean, that would be absolutely rad.

| And no, it is not discussion about who is guilty. It is a temptation of playing God. Of course, it is also play of God when the humanity will reach the genetic engineering, but I hope people would be more careful then.
And about depleted uranium - man, aren't you tired of wars and constant fear of being exterminated by somebody became insane of money and power over people?

| >>803093
If my memory doesn't fooling around, that genre is exists. It has name of Nuclearpunk.

| >>803097 awesome.

| >>803098
And I even heard the audioopera about such world. Can bring it here.

| >>803096 while this topic is derailing from the original topic, In my humble opinion, war is cringe.

| >>803099 that would be great! Yes please go ahead!

| >>803101
Whoops, my mistake, it has name of Atompunk. But the point is the same. You're welcome!
https://mochalab.bandcamp.com/album/an-atompunk-opera-the-new-albion-guide-to-analogue-consciousness
>>803100
Yeah, war is cringy thing. Sometimes I catch my eyes on guns, catch my mind on admiration of it, possible rapture of possession. And I become displeased of myself. No, I'm not a pacifist or a "beat-me-on-the-other-chick"-christian, but I just don't want to be a nominal warrior.

| But let's go back to the original topic. I found some books and authors about solarpunk worlds, check a sum:
Kim Stanley Robinson;
"The Island" by Aldous Huxley;
"Ecotopia" by Ernest Callenbach;
"Glass and Gardens. Solarpunk Summers" Anthology;
"Ecopunk!" Anthology;
"Sunvault" Anthology;

I can bring a list of URLs, but I'm not sure Pref wouldn't be against of it. Ads, and the other things.

| >>803106 Atompunk would be radical. And with renewed interest in space, a mixture of raygun gothic would be perfect. The two go hand in hand together.

| >>803089 That's a shortsighted way of thinking in my opinion. We had two nuclear detonations used in warfare, and those two were when the tech started out, before the US and Soviets started pumping them out like cars. There isn't an incentive to use besides for deterrence anymore, unless we have a madman, and so far even our dear Kim isn't that crazy yet.

| >>803112
Maybe-maybe. But man, are you sure, that somebody such a crazy wouldn't appear?
On the other hand, solarpunk offers us an inexaustible and recovering energy sources. Of course, you'll need to sacrifice some resourses to make solar panels and wind/water mills, but in the end they will be more safe and ecologically clear than nuclear energy.

| >>803113 I don't think it is. I've already weighed the pros and cons of both nuclear and solar, both of which I already brought up here. Water, maybe, if we can learn to work together. Which I don't. The fact that you're scared means other people are too, and then we can never take that step forward in any direction anyways, because each and everyone will be working to make sure their enemies don't get a leg up on them before work on anything else can progress. That consumes us.

| Let me make it clear, I don't think adoption of nuclear and abandonment of other renewables is a good idea. But renewables have been getting this attention as 'safe, clean, the best thing since sliced bread', and nuclear as 'the serpent of Eden's apple', and it's just bullshit from lobbyist who try to get you scared so they can get more funding, more tax breaks because they're 'green', more acceptance and then remove the competition, because nuclear is the 'enemy'.

| >>803114 'which I don't think so'

| I like solarpunk but it needs more works to give it meat and staying power.

| >>803114
Do ya've any info about how to make nuclear energy safe and how to use it clear? I need to know more about it.
What about renewable resourses, I just learned it can provide 7-10% of needed energy. And I don't know how to increase it.

| The sun is a little scary, but solarpunk stuff is super pretty.

| >>803259
Why is the sun scary?

| >>803307
All big and overheated and melts stuff. Scary stuff. All flamey.

| >>803309
Erm... Okay then, man... Well... So what about the fact that you're gonna be dead without sun?

| >>803309 Euthaniza is not to be attempted.

| >>803462
Does that make the sun less flamey? No. So having sun close is scary.

>>803508
No. Never.

| >>803514
What the heck, man? Water, air and sun allowed your ancestors to evolve.

| >>803563
And look at us now. Overgrown apes with anxiety, a collapsing economy and way too many relationship problems.
Evolution was a mistake, as a consequence, its enabling environment was a mistake. Cover the sun in a tarp.

| >>803565 I'm sorry g/u/rl, but the "return to monke" it's just a meme.
You have to let it go.

| >>803180 I'm no scientist, and neither are you. We can't really work to make them more efficient, but you can at least be more informed so you can tell people and, by extension, the people who make regulations so that researchers can do their jobs and investors can fund without exorbitant taxes.
Renewables can probably provide more than 7-10%. Denmark for example uses 50% wind power. Idk how stable it is, but they're doing it.

| >>803580
The EU power grid is interconnected and the cross-country links are quite robust. I imagine that you can't exactly supplement Danish wind with f.ex. Italian solar at a whim but it is theoretically feasible.
People who doubt the availability of renewables often disregard the raw scale of the electricity supply system.

| >>803563
Still scary dummy. Go suck on sun.

| >literally being afraid of your own shadow

| >>803599 ok but sharks are WAY scarier

| >>803633
Sharks don't melt stuff and they're funny

| >>803580
Renewables can provide 7-10% of energy in the whole world. It is great that Denmark can realise a potential, and I just wanna live in a such country, but if you look at the countries with lots of wild acres (China, for example), you'll understand of how were these numbers required.
But thanks for info, I had a fact of knowledge insufficiency in my mind.
Let's try a next topic: what a political system is needed in solarpunk or other ecoutopia in your opinion?

| >>803565
>>803599
Well, okay, where to toss a coin, underbridge throlls?

| >>803660
Your local fountain would be nice.

| >>803659 If by 'need' you mean what would theoretically be best, I don't even want to touch on that. There's always a way to game the system, and there *will* be people ambitious enough to do it.

If we're talking what solarpunk is likely to evolve from and to, then I think there's three factors for countries that generally end up being more ecologically concious, leading the way to solarpunk.

| 1. Size. Smaller countries have less geopolitical power, generally relying on their bigger neighbors to handle it for them. As such, they tend to have more time on their hands to focus more on internal issues. But the more powerful states will end up influencing them, which leads to...

| 2. Alliance. Doesn't have to be in a big one, just be in contact with a lot of other places, but the size of their contact list is important still. This is important because it assures that they are important enough that it is in the group's interest to improve that country to improve themselves. Small countries that don't align themselves *will* be orbiting whatever nearby regional sphere there is, becoming just another backwater area that they can exploit without fear of reprisal

| Still, depending on geography, an important small country can still be influenced accordingly. In a positive scenario, Holland and Switzerland. Citizens free to do what they want within the EU, working on their infrastructure, and generally just chilling. On a negative note, Singapore and Hong Kong. While Singapore is more quiet, do not forget it is still a dictatorship, and these two city-states have always had forces of oppression reigning their cities in some way in history.

| Still, whichever the case, the population is generally varied, because either by facilitating movement or, more likely, because the idea of opportunity pulls them in, many sorts of people come in, which makes the country...

| 3. Cosmopolitan. Having all sorts of people occupying your country means it becomes more self-sufficient as people bring their trade, profession, business, diversifying the economy. Having a more diverse population also challenges the current society, in that the immigrants' input will mix and improve on things that stagnate, but also force them to adapt to the sensibilities of the expatriates.

| What this means is that society as a whole has to be more creative to deal with this new everything that other people are bringing in, and if it doesn't overwhelm them, generally you can find they come out top of the line as bit by bit each generation works on getting better than the last, constantly competing because such a society will always have a clash of ideas.

| When I see news about smaller countries doing stuff, like how Estonia has nationwide wifi, El Salvador is officially using Bitcoin as money, Rwanda is using drones to deliver emergency medical supplies, I'm not surprised anymore. I see people complaining in bigger countries how such things haven't been implemented, I think how it's exactly why it's a big country that it's hard. Logistics, infrustrature, bureaucracy, it's all a nightmare.

| A lot of the times it's the small countries that do cool stuff. And with proper support, they can improve a lot. Whether it's a true utopia or a hidden dystopia is another matter, but Solarpunk as an aesthetic will come from such places. And if the country has a diverse population, bonus points, because then the mix of cultures will bring their uniqueness together to create something even more interesting and visually striking.

| It's awesome, in terms of it actually being the future I don't think it's possible. Looking into Exxons bullshit is the biggest blackpill one can take about the future of the human race.

| >>803754
Summarizin, you tell me to build an ideal ecoutopia, we need to take a small separated country with well-developed science at first. The second, we need to grow a national idea of maximal caring of ecology. And the third – we need to raise a generation of people with wide spectre of interests and talents. And so, we need a honest and transparent government which reports to a society about their own plans and actions. Did I understand clearly?

| So basically, once we will build one long flat platform what will cover sun, society will return in second back to middle age, right?

| >>803813
Not really, we kind of need the sun to live.
There will be no middle ages. There will, in fact, be no ages. Just the sun tarp and the infinite blackness of a hard-working sponge being put into a box.

| >>803825 Rather than a tarp, it could be solar panels. Build a Dyson sphere, then illuminate the Earth with artificial lights. The sun actually doesn't even have the optimal color for plants to photosynthesize, so we'll cover entire forests in pink lights.

| >>803792 It doesn't have to be tech advanced at first, as long as people are incentivized to improve their space. When it's prosperous, people are less likely to bitch about you when you do anything, ie implement policies on protecting the local environment. An honest and transparent government is not necessary tbh, they might even be more eager to make everything look as green as possible to keep up appearances, though that would lead to the dystopic solarpunk scenario.

| >>802983 >>803063
I converted it. Now I have The Solarpunk manifiesto in my digital hands!
Thanks you!

| >>803875
The advanced tech is needed `cause if people see that they can improve their space, they aren't bitch you. And it gives you some freedom of action.
What can I say about honest and transparent government – I just fucking tired of our governments secret wars, secret documents, secret alliances and secret tries to get more money. I'm sick of that shit. And we just need reliable people in government to know what happens. With that way we could avoid dystopian scenery.

| >>803875
And I just don't like some assholes try to make me fool.

| >>803899
Congrats! You're welcome, friend!

| >>803942 Yeah, better tech is something that should lead to and sustain a better society. That's essentially my point. I'm just saying developing countries have chances to be like that, too.

And I mean, you and me both, we all hate the world's governments to some extent. But like, if things were simpler then things would've sorted themselves out long ago. A technocratic society would be ideal, and I hope to see it happen one day, but reliable still doesn't mean trustworthy.

| >>803960
What do you think about spiritual part of solarpunk? I mean, religion, cults, traditions and other things.

| Not a big fan of religion, but that would depend on the community inhabiting it, wouldn't it? I imagine a return to animalism like Shintoism or Shamanism to be a big thing, without the human sacrifices.

| Maybe there'd be an opposition to everything and some kind of niche political party or obscure religious cult would think how everything is overly focused on the environment, and would despise it so much they are anti-everything-nature and live their lives surrounded by the most advanced but polluting technology they can obtain/develop.

| >>805324
>>805326
I can't imagine a nature-based world without nature-based religion 'cause it is our history and all-round appearing tradition. So well, Shintoism is a great variant.
I hope technologist party or cult wouldn't be, I hope people would be smart enough to be aware of past experience and consider it. Otherwise, we'll return to the start and I could sing the "Dirge For A Planet" with a clear conscience.

| Solarpunk Bartender Action N1RV Ann-A here we go~

| >>805708
Why not E11Y 5IU-M?

Total number of posts: 87, last modified on: Fri Jan 1 00:00:00 1637265266

This thread is permanently archived