danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice.

| Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.

| Yeah a lot of things are choices cuz we are condemned to be free, at least under our circumstances.

| I love sex.

| >>786564 Well, since you are here I can easily tell that sadly you are not having any.

| >>786583 I'll prove you wrong by having sex with you. Then neither of us will be virgins.

| >>786584 That would create a singularity and destroy this universe, for sure.

| Yeah if your entire family is murdered or something really tragic like that were to happen, happiness isn't a choice, really, I know this post has no Ill intention but that one in particular ain't always a choice sometimes we have to just be sad brotha

| >>786592
We cannot control what happens to us, but we can control the way we deal with and think about all the events. Maintaining your state of mind is your personal responsibility, and if you chose to succumb to the grief forever, you lose.

You always have a choice, and I believe in recovery. Mourning family is like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly—that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.

| I

| Thankfully I can choose none of those because they're for cowards.

| Fake deep stuffs.

| >>786675 I'll put stuff you deep for real.

| Well not necessarily, we are defined by constraints so choice is illusory.

Feeling like you have one is good for your mental well being but too much makes you a dumb radical individualist who ignores reality to protect themselves.

| >>786686
>dumb radical individualism
Stirner was the most based human being to ever live, you are just a spook

| I get the idea. The way you word it is extremely simplified and for "happiness is a choice" you're completely ignoring conditions like chronic depression or the fact that it's impossible for humans to have full control over their emotions.
But, like, I get what you're saying. It's not correct, but, like, partially.
You can actively do stuff to make things a little better for yourself and the people around you. But simply choose it? No.

| >>786717
>But, like, I get what you're saying.
You don't, trust me. If you want to get out of a chronic depressed state you have to make a choice to put the effort in. People with positive mental attitudes don't get it for free. You maintain it and you do it conciously and diliberetly.

| >>786732
No, you're the one who doesn't understand. I'm not talking about myself. I have depression, sure, but not chronic. I can feel better and get depressive episodes less by taking care of myself and stuff, which I do, and is how I get by.
Chronic depression is a physical thing though. It's chemical imbalances and shit. Saying they can choose to be happy with a better attitude is like saying someone who's fully lame from the waist down can run if they just try hard enough.

| You can wish away cancer with a good little mindset. The same goes for mental issues that are caused by something physical in your body.
So, again, I get what you're saying. It applies to an extent to most people, but not everyone.

| >>786734
>No, you're the one who doesn't understand. I'm not talking about myself.
I wasn't talking about you either. I don't know where you got that from. I was *obviously* responding to your example.

Either way, I'm not gonna repeat myself so enjoy the thread~

| >>5d4780
You sure talk about yourself a lot for someone who claims he doesn't...

| Guys, g/u/rls, c'mon.
The only thing that OP is trying to say here, is that OP encourages Stoicism.
Surely, no one can be a perfect stoic and manage their emotions to an extreme degree, but I assure you as well, that being stoic is really beneficial and achievable.

- an anon fellow Stoic

| Being resilient and making the best out of a shitty situation is one thing but what this guy is saying just doesn't make sense.

| >>786752 yeah just don't take them too seriously. But being stoic and resilient is pretty good imo

| Mind over matter gang rise up

| >>786749
I'm not disagreeing with your point of view regarding stoicism but that's not what I'm saying, at all.

What exactly is so hard to understand about your personal state of mind being your own responsibility?

| >>786786
Hard to say that it is. Depends on your philosophy of consciousness. It's valid to say that your state of mind is entirely out of your control, as the mind is just a series of chemical processes that force the matter, and any attempt to influence the system while a part that same system is meaningless, as those chemical processes are what would have brought you to the thought in the first place.

In that instance, wouldn't only an outside influence truly have any effect?

| >>786732 >>786739 >>786741
>If you try to get out of chronic depression
Idk if that's bad wording on your part or misreading on my part or both, but either way, chill.

| >>0e8b01
You managed to refer to yourself a whopping 9(!) times in 3(!) sentences, and now you're claiming that you never spoke about yourself and try to shift the blame on other people? What is wrong with you??

| >have you just, like, tried not being depressed?
fucking retard OP

| >>786798
Those are a lot of ifs and buts though.

Not that it matters. Outside influences are present in *every* decision we make, not only the examples you listed. But those outside infleunces are not gonna fall into your lap out of the blue. You need to make a concious choice to seek or draw them out.

If you ask happy and content people about why they're happy, they always answer that happiness is a choice.

| Because we *know* there is work and effort behind happiness, and if you've chosen not to adopt the mindset and actions that leads to happiness, I strongly suggest you sit down and think trough how you choce to deal with your attitude, respect, generosity and kindess.

| >>112e14
I appreciate how much you show you care about other people. Your way of thinking is so much different from other people’s, and it is refreshing.

| >>786907
Getting this worked up over a misunderstanding huh? Grow up lol

>>786910 >>786912
This honestly.

| Pooping isn't a choice

| >>786939 Not with that attitude.

| >>786915
That's actually really cool of you to say. I don't think it's a different way of thinking though. It's basic Buddhism 101 stuff.

| >>0e8b01
Sir, the only one who needs to take a chill pill and grow up is you. You're in this thread actively trying to insult other people. Go back to /new/ with that insecure behaviour of yours, midia-kun.

| I love it when pampered bitches preach about putting in work to be happy, as if it's a form of currency and not an emotion in response to a pleasant environment.

| That's midia-kun? I should've known... In other words this thread is dead so I'm getting out of here. Enjoy the rest~

| >>786978
>and not an emotion in response to a pleasant environment.

You build and maintain said pleasant environment by putting in work towards it. That's how it works.

Or are you wasting you life waiting for said pleasantness to fall into your lap out of the blue? With 0 effort on your part? Good luck with that, homie.

| >>786980
Every bit of effort I put in yields more dread than happiness, I'm at my happiest when I just rot in stagnation and don't try. But I can't, I have to try don't I?

| >>786976
I said that what OP said was good but that I partialy disagreed, then y'all got on my ass for it. Come on now.
Also, tf is midia-kun? I don't visit this board as much as I used too. I feel like I'm out of the loop on some inside joke.

>>786981
Putting in effort is important. It can be a difficult process, but, it'll get easier with time. Rotting in stagnation will only make things harder and reinforce that negative mindset of thinking you can't get out of it.

Total number of posts: 42, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1631153929

This thread is permanently archived