danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
how do you stop yourself from overthinking?

| i'm too broke for therapy and i acknowledge that my overthinking is toxic but i can't help how things go from one thing to another until it eventually spirals out of control and i hate it.

what helps you to get your mind out of that spiral and back to the reality of things?

| Cognitive-Behavior Therapy is an evidence-based, practical approach for obsessive thinking, worry and rumination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4afPt04iOXA

| I love sex.

| >>771656
For you I'd recommend the other kind of CBT.

| I love exercise.

It's kinda like beating one off to find out if you really like a gurl or are just horny.

Some good cardio erodes the bullshit thoughts that bounce around your head.

| You need to know how to relax. A certain environment, maybe some music, maybe outside or inside with your room a certain way, etc. Just find out what sort of relaxes you a bit.

Then, once you're a bit more relaxed or soothed or whatever by that, try break down the thoughts logically one by one. Like, take a thought, figure out why you're having that thought, thinking objectively about what could prove or disprove that thought, and untangle it from there.

| Make your mind too busy to think about the stuff. Or try hitting your head with a hammer, it often stops thoughts.

| >>771718 it's easy to say to try to relax but it's quite difficult knowing so many things keep rapid firing in your mind

| OP, I had a habit of over thinking things when I was at my last job. (lot of things caused this)

Only in the last few months have I managed to get it under control again. Sometimes you have to burn yourself out. But once you do, start talking to people. anyone really about what's going on in your head.

Talk to any of your friends. Talk to family. heck, join a chatroom online and ask if anyone is willing to talk with you. (can't tell you how often that happens in VRchat)

| >makes thread to overthink on how not to overthink

| >>772036 dang so you just gotta burn yourself out til your brain gives up entirely?

>>772070 desperate times call for desperate measures

| >>772130
I'm not the person who said that, but, sometimes you do gotta break something down to build it up stronger, you feel? Some of the days I've felt the best in life have been days directly after a major breakdown where I had a friend to guide me through it and start rebuilding how I think and shit.

| >>772136
Wasting months to burn yourself out is probably the most self-destructive and ineffective self-help treatment I have ever heard of...

| >>772140
It's not really self-help. More like a last resort. It's not good, but there are certain things in my life that I've struggled with and gotten proffesional help for but didn't get anywhere, but after having a complete breakdown like what I described I haven't struggled with it since or it's at least been way easier.
So, well, it's not self-help. I don't recommend it if you want self-help. It's just a final option of sorts of your self-help ain't working.

| *if

| >>8a8a73 i agree that most change comes when looking down the barrel so to speak. Recovering alcoholics tend to have an inciting incident which flips their value structure so that they have a story to build themselves backup from.

But with overthinking it's usually comes from a time where if you didn't you'd get in trouble. So try build relationships with this as an understanding.

ADHD Check for that so you know what you're dealing with, even if you can't pay.

| >>772160
Yeah, it does. Most mental health issues stem from something. So obviously being active socially with people who are understanding and working on recovering from that is the best thing to do, alongside therapy of course.
The thing you described with alcoholics has happened to me in regards to overthinking though. There were some things that I was overthinking so much that it played a big part in almost killing myself, but after that breakdown those things have been easier.

| Shit's just person to person though, and that breakdown would have ended very badly if I didn't establish those first things I mentioned before that breakdown. So, like, focus on that please. Like, don't try to intentionally break down.

| distract yourself play game

Total number of posts: 19, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1626122783

This thread is permanently archived