danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
/Lit/ g/u/rls, what y'all reading rn?

| Hello, literature g/u/rls, been a while since the last post. Since then I finished The Way Of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, and I absolutely fucking loved it, the 200 pages leading to the finale were so fucking good and I'm definitely reading Word Of Radiance after a break.

But rn I'm reading The Martian Chronicles by Bradbury, it has been an interesting read so far... And I still don't know how to feel about the book

How about y'all?

| I haven't finished a book in over a year. It's unusual but I haven't been able to concentrate since Covid-19 hit.

I started re-reading Knights of the Seven Kingdoms earlier today and I'll probably read Soldier of the Mist next.

| You g/u/rls are literate? Like can read books and not have your eyes drift every paragraph and have to reread every other paragraph?

| >>766123 I actually like reading, yet I'm also cursed with this problem.

| Finished wind up bird chronicle by murakami. Enjoyed it quite a bit, good internal monologue type stuff and it gets trippy in an existential sense. Where the story starts to breakdown as the character does.

Brought it up to a friend and they said the writer was kinda sexist. Like a harem anime but for literate people. It gets weird but i took that as a part of protags world crumbling.

I'll read his other stuff with an eye open for that sentiment though.

| >>766123 reading on my phone helps me with that. I have trouble when I can see two pages.

I have been rereading Foundation. While it's still got great ideas and plot, rereading it has reminded me that Isaac Asimov kinda sucks with character writing. Still worth a second go though.

| >>766100
I made the mistake of reading The Way of Kings's final arc right before bed. Couldn't sleep until I finish the entire thing, hours later.

>>766175
Murakami is a good read but he does have a weird and uncomfortable obsession with women and inserting sex scenes everywhere. I read a couple of his books and I mostly enjoy them but at some point I've had enough.

>>766123
I have ADHD and reading fiction is the only time something like this doesn't happen.

| I'm reading Riot Baby by Tochi Onyebuchi. A bit too real at points, but I feel like it's an important story to read.

Gonna read some more light-hearted fantasy after this.

| >>766123 I have that same problem too, but hearing Vaporwave on my headphones or reading in a constantly and mostly silent environment helps me a lot and it doesn't happen at all in the best cases.

>>766175 I've heard that about Murakami too, that's the reason I haven't tried anything of his, the person who brought it up to me made it seem like a bad harem hentai

| >>766293 I made the same fucking mistake, got to The Tower and then I just couldn't stop till it was 2 am, I got to Part 5 and was unable to focus at all, slept 5 hours and then finished the goddamn thing, what a fucking ride tbh

(Also OP here, I guess I should clarify since my ID changed idk why)

| >>766295 What's Riot Baby about? Seems interesting from the title and the way you talk about it, tell us more g/u/rl

| >>766357
You've ever watched the anime Mob Psycho 100? The premise is a bit like that. A kid was born with innate ability to bend reality. The kid is kind-hearted, but they can destroy things with a thought.

In Riot Baby the kid is a black American from a poor family and live in a seedy part of town. It touches on subject like police brutality and American prison system. Hard stuff.

| >>766293
For what it's worth, Murakami is really good at writing flowing surreal scenes. He makes the most mundane scenes feel magical. If it's not for the male-gazing, he would have been one of my fav writers.

If you want to give his books a try, I'd recommend Kafka On The Shore. And stay the fuck away from Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki.

| Whoops wrong reply. Meant to be for >>766355

| >>766383 What is wrong eith Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki? I didnt read it yet tho I was planning to. Can you explain without spoiling

| >>766385
The most ridiculous sex scenes/masturbation he's ever written, endless pointless conversations, and just way more navel-gazing than usual. I guess someone else can derive some meanings out of it? For me it's just a waste of time.

| The Wandering Inn. Worried about the author though, they publish something like 60-120k words per week.

| >>766554 That's nuts.

| Just finished up a couple other books I was reading when I saw a thread on /lit/ for what is apparently a very loosely organized group-ish read of Gravity's Rainbow going on this summer, and it's been a while since I last read it so I started a re-read of that last night.

| I am reading you like an open book.

| >>767072
N-NANI?!?

| Yes, that's just how it is

| Bump

| I'm reading Snow Crash right now, which has been a lot of fun so far

| What do you lot think of tom clancy, anything worth reading or is it just jerking gun barrels and whiskey tangos.

| >>767551
Lucky you. Reading Snow Crash for the first time is such a ride.

| >>767627 what u looking for

| Reading a book on morse code through braille.

| >>767706
Is this supposed to be a lulrandom joke or what?

| I need to get back into reading novels, but before I went on hiatus, I was making my way through "Koko Takes a Holiday," by Kieran Shea, which is a nutty sci fi story about the titular Koko Marstellar, ex mercenary, who has her retirement living on a pleasure colony rudely interrupted when her old boss and friend Portia Delacompte sends a kill squad to do her in.

Also the adventures of a clinically depressed space sheriff, Jedediah Flynn, who tags along with Koko when he gets fired for his job due to said depression, and is expected to commit an hero in a ritualized, televised event.

It's far from the best thing I've read, but its wild and fun.

| >>767779
Your post makes me want to read Beginning Operations, a book I bought over a decade ago but never picked up. It's about a doctor working on a deep-space hospital station on the edge of the galaxy, where human and alien medicine meet. Supposedly good fun and a bit out there.

| >>767785

Huh, that *does* sound interesting tbh. Now I wanna check it out lmao.

Total number of posts: 32, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1624293814

This thread is permanently archived