danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
opinions on discord possibly being bought by microsoft?

|

| I truly don't want them to buy Discord.
They always find a way to get profit. They might associate it with Facebook like always or some stupid shit.

| It will probably kill it as skype

| Discord was supposed to be the online chat service to end all other online chat services. If microsoft buys discord I have no idea where we would go

| Time to return to IRC

| After reading the original article which started the wave of articles about it, I've determined that no one actually knows if Microsoft is in talks to buy Discord, it was originally just an assumption on the writer's part.

| >>747609

^ This though. Danger/u/ does have its own IRC still, I think.

| I'd just use it as an opportunity to get my folks to move to a FOSS replacement. Turn a bad thing into a good thing.

| I hope not. If everyone quits using discord, we'll need a replacement for "I'm a discord mod" as an easy warning sign that someone you've just met is a pedophile.

| COME TO TOX
tox.chat

| That would not make me happy. It would actually make me a little sad :(

| Here's hoping they don't axe the Linux client, but I would honestly be happy if they completely fucked it up and caused people to come to Matrix.org

| >>747753 I would expect not, since they bothered to port Edge to Linux. They're trying to ingratiate themselves with Linux users--not alienate them.
Not that I want them to succeed in that regard, g/u/rl. I feel the same as you.

| Discord has always been crap anyway.

| >>6bd9f6 I really, *really* want this to happen.

| >>747609
Reject modernity
Embrace tradition

|

| Embrace ...
Extends ...
Extinguish.

Always same philosophy from µ$oft.

They also change their business model turning it from solding softwares to loaning them.

As other gafam they try to become data brokers. Of course discord is used by gamers and µ$0ft has its Xbox...

| Mircosoft is gonna turn it into Skype 2.0, they should just use the money they want to use to buy Discord to improve Skype

| M$ if they buy it and discord didn't just bait them to increase their ipo will likely just kill skype for the general consumer and rebrand to discord, skype users would probably be thrown on discord in ~4 years, skype for business would keep it's name but switch to discord backend with some added features to compete with slack

Microsoft isn't good at designing or keeping chat platforms but if they leave the team alone it could work

| I would expect to see discord integration on xbox and most likely being better monetized because that shit isn't cheap and disc is probably just burning vc money like every other startup
Expect discord streaming to get much worse unless you have nitro

There at worst might be ads you can hide with nitro as well

Total number of posts: 21, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1616873870

This thread is permanently archived