danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
Feeling bad about feeling bad

| Being depressed and knowing people who've been through so much more pain and trauma than I have in my relatively sheltered life makes me feel bad about feeling bad. Like... how can I possibly be in a depressed funk when people I know actually have /reasons/ to feel the way my brain makes me feel?
And then comes the isolating myself from people and the spiraling further into a funk. Fun times.
Just needed to vent somewhere.

| I wanted to say something encouraging but honestly I'm in the same boat.

| Oy I understand that feeling, I get that way a lot too. Never have had depression myself but I haven't exactly been happy for the past couple of years. Sometimes there's reasons for it beyond my control, but the vast majority of it stems from myself and my own hang-ups. I oftentimes feel worthless knowing that there are people with real problems and all and they get on with it. But I realize that all you can do is focus whole-heartedly on working towards solving your own problems.

| It's like, all the time peeps are comparing aspects of their lives to others. But there's always people who seem to do better, with less. Sometimes people are gifted with qualities, but I think plenty just work hard and are invested in their lives. Maybe it's a mix. But I try and choose to do what I can in the moment, and not wallowing in shame when nobody's even putting me down. I suck at it plenty, but to live thinking presently and forward is the best path I know of

| Hey g/u/rl, this is a common feeling among anyone who is depressed no matter the reason, depression is so fucked up it makes us feel bad for having it and like we aren't worth of it because whatever fucked us up wasn't the worst thing that could happen, but you gotta know that it's just your brain fucking you up.
You are valid no matter what happened to you, ok?

| I know this fucking discourse is cliché as shit but, as someone who also has depression and fortunately has left the worst days behind, I can tell you it's true, so don't beat yourself up more than depression already does, if you can and feel like needing hel, go get it,talk to yourself about what you're feeling, it's okay to distract those thoughts, watching YouTube or Netflix, playing a game or doing something you like, please take care and remember to be good to yourself

| I feel you homie, but honestly, that shit's retarded. For real.
Suffering, mental issues, that's a personal thing. It's not something that should be compared, because it isn't really comparable.
Someone who's led a seemingly good life can be in just as much mental and emotional agony as someone who's lost their family and been a victim of abuse, for example.
It's not something you choose, it's not something objective. It's not that balc and white.

| *black and white.

The human psyche is a very, very complex and fragile thing. Trying to apply simple minded logic to something as complex as depression is, well, useless.
If you break your leg and cry from the pain, that's completely understandable. It's completely reasonable.
What wouldn't be reasonable is of you broke your leg, started crying and then start beating yourself up for crying just because you know of someone who broke both their legs once. That's just nonsensical.

| The pain you feel, the mental problems you struggle with, they're not any less valid than someone elses.
I'm not gonna pretend like I've never felt the way you do, or that I never feel it anymore. I know people who have been through horrific and completely inhumane things, all while being in a way worse economic situation than me.
But, that doesn't change anything. My pain is just as real and valid as theirs, even though they're different types or caused by different things.

| Most of the "depression and mental illness don't care whether you have a 'good life', they hit just as bad either way" has already been said, so I will just add this: Wishing for a worse life so your suffering is "justified" is actually a sign of trauma in itself, so do with that information what you want

| Have sex and have fun.

Total number of posts: 11, last modified on: Sun Jan 1 00:00:00 1616460699

This thread is permanently archived