danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
How big of an asshole am I for turning down my mom's gift idea?

| It's my birthday soon, and it's one of the "big dates" (like a jubilee or something). My mom wanted to buy me a golden necklace or something like that, depicting, or at least related to, the patron saint I was named after. Now, I am neither a man who wears gold (or any accessories really), nor a religious man. So I told her that she shouldn't get it for me because I'll probably never wear it. Now I'm afraid that I hurt her with that, and that she might've purchased it already, too.

| There may have been better ways to go about it, depends on your relationship, but overall - you are not an asshole at all.

| >>685388
Yeah, an asshole move would be to accept it and not wear it at all or even sell it.

As long as you weren't an ass about how you said it or anything there's really nothing wrong with it

| Not an asshole at all. To be honest I think it is great to be honest about what you want and desire. As it makes it easier to get a gift for someone and to get them something they will actually use. If you have an idea of what you want. Maybe discuss it with her or maybe discuss some of your likes and dislikes.

| Personally I like little accessories like that and while I'm not religious I think religion concepts and texts are really cool, so I would have gladly accepted it. Not wanting that is not being an asshole though. It just comes down to personal preference and values and shit, which differs from person to person.

| I understand how and why you did that but i am sorry I think it is kind of an asshole way to say that to your mother. There are better ways to turn down a gift idea, like ask your mother to go do gift shopping with you and let you choose what you like.

Total number of posts: 6, last modified on: Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 1596529380

This thread is permanently archived