danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
should I move up Korea?

| Long story short, I have a fairly decent paying job at an investment firm. I have my bachelors degree and am doing my masters online. I hate life rn and I'm highly considering just applying to teach English in Korea. Id keep doing my masters online and maybe do PhD after. It'd be a pretty big paycut but I'm just sick of living in the US and I'm tired of my life here. Should I just do it and try to be happy overseas?

| >>676342 Leaving the US is something I always advise because of how ass backwards life can be there, all I'd say is to check that Korea is viable for you.

Obviously make sure you've got yourself set up to be able to live and work once you move, but also read up on social issues there. Check it's gonna be easy for you, especially regarding any racial issues and stigmas.
Check the odd societal things like healthcare and how the legal system works.

| Once you've done researching you may want to move to Korea, or even have found a better place.
Whatever you do, if you choose to move then give yourself a month's leeway before you start preparing, just to make sure your decision isn't purely impulse and that you won't regret it or change your mind too late

| Important thing to remember is that a country always seems better from the outside.

How we perceive places as foreigners is largely different from being on the inside and having all the different fucked up elements of a place in front of you constantly.

Plenty of Koreans want to live in the States because of how it looks in films and TV shows, and because they don't get the constant stream of USA news that people in the country get.

| >>676349
Thanks for all of the advice. I've done tons of research because that's kinda of my thing. I research the ins and outs of pretty much every country on earth as a hobby and an academic field. I think I would enjoy Korea despite its flaws. I really despise the US overall and I've been to other countries (even so called "third world" ones) and its not entirely just a grass is greener thing. I hate American culture and lifestyles and I've found Korean culture really nice.

| Nah, come to brazil!

| >>676374
I'm actually visiting Brazil later this year! Going to Sao Paulo and I'm excited to be staying in Liberdade

| >>676383 cool, I also recomend vissiting the "mercadão", they have one of the best ham sandwitches in za warudo and a lot of exotic fruits and products.

| >>676385
I'm vegetarian so I'll definitely check out the exotic fruits! What would you recommend?

| >>676390 pitaia, caju and jaca

| No

| >>676606

ok

| >>676374
Waiting for my passport to come back, then I'm going to Brazil.
There's someone I need to see.

| >>676937 then come to brazil

| Everything >>6c203f said.

Also I dunno if you've learnt the language yet or not, but that's probably something pretty important to do before moving, at least to a certain level.

| If it isnt the DPRK dont bother

| >>677007 juche gang

| Definitely. I actually taught English in SK for a few years as well. The culture there may well a tad Conservative but it is so much more grounded than in America. It's also less stressful on yourself. Good luck with whatever you decide.

| Yes. To the North one. To the best one.

| >>677056
Thank you fren

| >>676939
That fact I barely speak Portuguese and the current pandemic are dampening my enthusiasm.

| >>677248 e só você se esforçar
You just gotta try harder

| >>677173 Learn basic Korean though. It's important. I can now soeak fluent Korean but at the beginning I really struggled.

| Worst case scenario you just come back here. You deserve to learn what you want and what is really out there. It is all basically a money games. With enough wiggle room in the savings, Colorado, Nebraska, Kiribati or even Ontario are all possible.

Total number of posts: 24, last modified on: Tue Jan 1 00:00:00 1594281241

This thread is permanently archived