danger/u/
This thread is permanently archived
I'm a selfish person

| I don't understand why people view selfishness so poorly. I'm not a bad person. I simply do what makes me and the people I care about feel happy. Why is that publicly perceived as wrong?

| Can't really give a judgment unless you give some specific examples of what gets you called selfish, assuming you're asking for an opinion

| >>674667
I don't get called selfish. I wouldn't mind that. I am selfish. What bothers is just that the general population seem to use selfish as something negative, you know? Use the word as if it was something negative.

In my opinion, trying to be selfless doesn't help anyone. Especially not yourself.

| >>674703
How does helping people not qualify you to be labeled selfless?

| When people say selfish they dont mean the person who does what benefits them, they mean the person who does ANYTHING to get what they want with no sense of respect for others, so op is not really a selfish person

| But I gotta agree that a lot of people twisted the meaning of selfishiness into greed, I guess its because greed has heavy implications and then they educate kids by using the word selfish

| >>674708
I help people because it makes me happy. It makes me happy to see people feel better and get through hard times in a good way. It makes me happy when my friends feel better, because I like talking to and spending time with them. All of those things are things I do because it makes me happy. I don't help then because they're in a bad spot. I help them because it makes me happy to see them get out of it.

| >>674724
That's just a dumb person though. Being an asshole does not benefit you. Being mean is not selfishness. It's just unnecessary and makes things harder for you.

| >>674764 a lot of people do horrible stuff and it benefits them in some way, ussual short therm benifts but they still get away with it, reality kinda sucks, thats why greed is so common

| >>674765
That's more greed and impulsivity than selfishness though, no? If they were selfish, wouldn't they want to get things that make them happy in the long run? Impulsively doing something to get short term benefits just seems dumb, no?

| >>674770 tell that to the companies who run youtube, ea, twitter, twitch, naughty dog, game freak, so many companies take short therm decisions and governaments too, the history of brazil is a good example, greed is one of the worst sins possible

| >>674770 also have you read the second post I made? There is a difference between greed and selfishness

| >>674777
Ah, yeah. I didn't look at ID. I fully agree with you, and I think that's something not enough people distinguish. Selfishness isn't bad. I honestly feel like a lot of people aren't selfish enough. Maybe that's because a lot of people I know struggle with depression, so they don't like themselves and want to be selfless. That seems very unhealthy to me though.

| >>674797 true, there is also my case in wich I used to be very selfless but a lot of people would abuse of my kindness, tbh there is a lot of problems in society that make people be more and more selfish to the point it becomes greed

| >>674810
Yeah. That's part of why I think selfishness is good. I have friends who try their best to please everyone and be good to people no matter how those people treat them, and that's not good. If someone's a piece of shit towards me I'll just cut them off, because they bring me nothing positive.

Total number of posts: 15, last modified on: Wed Jan 1 00:00:00 1593590341

This thread is permanently archived